My fiancé and I stayed in the Tamanaco Apartments in early March 2009.
Apartments are great value (we were looking for a holiday in March for as cheep as possible but where we could still get some sun and beach), spacious, clean, friendly staff and decent location (about 5 mins from the main shopping area and 15 mins from the beach). BBC and Sky said the weather would be about 20 degrees but it was 24+ everyday.
Only gripe about the apartments was the bed - we found it to be incredibly uncomfortable (i.e. really hard and springs poking up a bit), none of the other reviews have said this so perhaps its just apartment 408. The sleeper couch was comfortable though, decent kitchen with Fridge/Freezer, 2 hob stove, microwave, kettle toaster and basic utensils. There are plenty of shops in the Puerto Rico to buy food if you are keen on the self catering thing. The balconies are big and get plenty sun in the afternoon, the shower was out of this world!
Unfortunately Puerto Rico itself is a bit of a mess; the shopping center/restaurants area looks like it was the site of a competition for who can have the brightest neon light and biggest satellite dish and its just one Irish pub after another. If you are a very light sleeper you might struggle as the music from the bars can be heard until about 4am but its not too bad. We ended up using Puerto Rico as a base though and it has good bus connections to other parts of Gran Canaria.
All in all we had a great stay. The hotel is perfect if you are looking for cheep but comfortable. Puerto Rico has a great beach and about 15 min walk west from that beach along the promenade there is even a better one called Amadores. If going to Puerto Rico i would suggest hiring a car for a day or 2 as there is a lot more of Gran Canaria. We hired a car for 30 euro a day and I can highly recommend Puerto de Mogan and a drive into the mountains although give yourself about 2 hours to get up there, its a long and winding road and is an all day thing, not something you can just go and do of an afternoon as we tried to do.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Hotwire so you can book your Apartamentos Tamanaco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apartamentos Tamanaco Hotel Puerto Rico
- Tamanaco Apartments Grand Canary
- Tamanaco Apartments Hotel Grand Canary
- Apartamentos Tamanaco Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria