Colina Mar Apartments
Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Reviewed February 11, 2014

First stay here and a bit disappointed. Could not fault the cleanliness, everywhere was spotless. Showers were hot and plenty of water. The food on the other hand not good. We were A.I. and the food was very poor, never very warm and very poorly cooked. Full english breakfast was very greasy so stuck to cold meat and cheese breakfast. Lunch and dinnner very bland food ,couldn;t tell the difference between thye chicken and pork. Ate out a couple of times just to get a change of menu, something we never do on A.I.. I am not a fussy eater but expect a bit better. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeanieBanbury
Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Just got back from the Colina Mar, Really nice place and great holiday, A good selection of shops and restaurants in the Europa Centre. If you want a good meal away from the Centre take a short walk towards Amadores to Palmera Mar on the top of the hill, The restaurant overlooks the beach superb views and fantastic food! We had 2 good meals there, be sure to try the sole with canarian potatoes at under 10 euros. The Colina has good rooms and a nice breakfast with two nice pools and was a good base to travel to all the local amenities. Great if you don't mind a bit of walking, But a lot of people walk to the beaches and taxi back. Overall I would come here again everyone was friendly helpful and the views were amazing!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maggs130
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Went to Colina Mar during the last week of January 2014, room was nice and recently refurbed, pool areas were nice, reception staff, bar staff and John Joseph in the pool bar were all very helpful and pleasant. The food variety was non existent and looked as though what was not eaten on lunch time was mixed with other food for the evening, all meals were cold and needed to be placed into the microwave if you wanted it hot, the only meal that could have been nice was the English breakfast however this again required the use of the microwave. All inclusive is not all inclusive here if you want a snack from the one pool bar you have to pay 50% of the cost, drinks were ok however if you wanted a different cocktail you again had to pay 50% of the cost. Due to the latter comments I will not be returning to this aparthotel

Room Tip: Would only reccomend self catering
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Nigel80
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Hotel:
lovely hotel. We stayed above the quiet pool/playground which took 3 lifts to get to but was nice and quiet and no one walked past as we were the apartment at the furthest end.

Staff:
Oscar the entertainment guy was brill. Fantastic with my daughter and worked sooooooo hard. His water aerobics and day time games are great fun.

Michelle behind the bar was lovely and so welcoming. She made my 4 year old wicked non alcoholic cocktails.

Plenty more staff which were all lovely just didn't catch their names

Food:
We only had breakfast however there was a good selection and always war etc

Location: this hotel is situated closest to the Europa (top of the hill) centre however there is a taxi rank right outside the centre (2 min walk) if you want to go to the centre (bigger one) at the bottom. We didn't even attempt to walk back up as we thought we would savour our health and get a taxi for 4 euros haha.

I cannot praise this hotel enough

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Louise W
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Extremely clean. Staff very friendly and helpful. Room service very good, but could do with service 7 days rather than 5 days a week. Entertainment a bit iffy (could do better). Disappointing that the local bus from the hotel had ceased. This meant a return taxi fare to the beach of about £7 daily

Room Tip: Rooms on the south are quieter and can be sunnier
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank scawbyman
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed here in January 2014. We'd read a few of the negative reviews and we were a little worried.....our worries were totally unfounded, it beat our expectations.

On arrival it was raining, we'd had no sleep for close to 48 hours, we were hungry and a tad grumpy to say the least. On arrival I was asked to hand over my passport, something I am NEVER happy about, but I begrudgingly did it and was told I could collect it again the next morning as they use it to fill out some of the paper work. We were given a key, directions to our room and off we went! Our room was quite a long way from reception (3 lifts and a bit of a walk) so when I arrived at our front door, and, it wouldn't open, I was not pleased! A lovely cheerful cleaning lady ran to our aid, and showed me how to open it, due to the heat and heavy rain the door had expanded a little, but once we knew the trick, it was a breeze.....so not the hotels fault, just the weather for those who moan about this issue!!! Don't just unlock the door and turn the knob! Turn the key as far as it will go to the left, then hold it there well giving the door a quick pull and push.....takes a bit of getting used to, but we had it down by the third attempt, and like I said, this is a weather issue, not an issue due to lack of maintenance.

We then entered our room which was lovely, it was a little dark, but that was a good thing with the sunshine constantly beating down for the rest of our week. It was furbished to a very high standard, comfortable and had all the mod cons you get at home, cooker, fridge freezer, clean towels, toilet roll. My only criticisms would be that you had to pay a small fee and a deposit to use the safe in our room, and, any TV comes at an extra, but, reasonable cost (10 euros for the TV for a week, and around the same for the safe) I ran back up to reception to pay for these extras and was handed my passport back right away. The view from our room was, to say the least, OUTSTANDING. We headed down to the small pool, where a very happy man was more than happy to cook us some food and serve our drinks. The food was ok, and, reasonably priced, but due to there being so many SUPERB restaurants around, we didn't end up eating at the hotel again, not for any reason other than there being so much choice around the hotel.

The part of the hotel we stayed in was very quiet, relaxing and a true retreat (Ask for a room in the 50's.....the staff on desk are usually happy to oblige if the hotel is quiet), Our room was actually cleaned more often than stated, the cleaner always did a fantastic job, even doing our washing up!!!

I've seen some silly complaints on here about staff refusing to phone a taxi, I PERSONALLY watched the staff phone for taxis, but the reason they may have refused is if you walk out of the gate, turn left, or, right, and walk 30 feet there are taxi ranks either side with a constant flow of taxis (Apart from on Market day when the taxis are in high demand).

Overall, we loved this hotel, the pools are cleaned regularly, the atmosphere is relaxed, we can't say much about the entertainment as we either went out on an evening, or, headed to bed tired from all the days activities, but it did sound as if everyone was having a superb time when we did hear it! The people on reception were always pleasant, happy and always more than willing to help in any way they could. Not a single cockroach in sight as suggested in other reviews, and even if they had made an appearance (which they can and did in shops etc, it is Gran Canaria after all) the hotel provided bug spray in a bucket in the bathroom!

We wanted for nothing during our stay, always felt comfortable and well looked after. I do agree that both myself and my partner got slightly itchy legs from the sheets on the bed, I'm assuming it's what they wash the sheets in to kill any germs, I prefer itchy legs than germs! But if you have sensitive skin, buy a sheet or two from the Europa centre down the road, and use the laundrette on site to wash them!

The staff in the supermarket on site were very friendly, however, we did feel prices were slightly higher than elsewhere for certain items, although not in any way overpriced and likely down to the higher choice of imported goods to make you feel at home. The reception area offers free wifi which was very handy so be sure to take something like an ipad if you wish to keep family and friends up to date. They do switch the wifi off late at night, but, you will find a lot of open networks you can 'Borrow' ahem.

The hotel is located perfectly as it offers access to all the best bits of Puerto Rico, however, if you have mobility issues, it may be a bit of a challenge, though, it would be manageable as the hotel has ramp and lift alternatives.

Overall, the hotel was a joy to stay at, we were well looked after, we spent a day enjoying the pools which were clean and lovely! We would be more than happy to stay here again, highly recommend it for families and couples.

TOP TIPS
Turn left out of the hotel gates and you'll see a sign for the 'Europa centre', this is a small hive of shops, bars and restaurants. All the restaurants we ate at were SUPERB! There is so much competition that they have to be!

You'll see a taxi sign on the side of the road by the Europa centre, there are ALWAYS taxis available, apart from on market day when people queue to get a taxi. To get to the beautiful Amadores beach costs around 3-4 euros each way. To get to Puerto Rico town centre costs around 7 Euros.

For cheaper meals, keep walking past the taxi sign and some steps appear on your left, walk down them and you'll see a small take away on the left which serves food until 3:30am and it's good food too! A whole rotisserie chicken will set you back 6.50 Euros, the same as half a chicken everywhere else.

We spent the week trying local foods as we're not really into British food, but after spending close to 50 euros on each meal, and, on our second but last day, we discovered British food is actually much much cheaper, for two burgers, two chips, two beers and canarian potatoes we spent 20 euros instead of our usual 50!!! BE SURE TO TRY THE CANARIAN POTATOES!!! We brought the recipe home and haven't stopped eating them!

If you want an experience you'll never forget, be sure to book a diving experience with www.prdiving.com a superb, friendly team located in the Europa centre that will give you an amazing experience. Worth every penny, and they put safety and your experience before profit which is always a good thing! The experience I had with them changed my life forever and I cannot recommend trying it highly enough!

Don't just rely on your reps suggestions, there is a large info centre located in the Europa centre that's very easy to find, the guy was extremely friendly and got us a day of Jetski, Parasailing, Banana boating and crazy sharking for 59 euros each with a free pick up each way. They also offer a strange, but, fascinating 'Scuba bike' experience with underwater bikes, and, they can also sort any island hopping you wish to do.

Don't beware of the touts, unlike other countries I've visited, the touts here aren't overly pushy, they try to get you into the restaurants, will constantly ask you where you are from, but are also very personable as long as you are polite, they even helped us with directions after we'd said no, so just be polite, it sounds like common sense, but I lost count of the times I heard people being rude to staff and touts well visiting. Manners go a long way here!

If you want to avoid the timeshare touts (They gave us a free taxi, champagne and tshirts) tell them a relative works as a time share rep on the island, it immediately stops them from continuing, and, you sometimes still get the freebies like we did and the tout will still get paid.....win win.

Treat the locals, the area and the sea here with respect and you'll find a hive of helpful, lovely, happy people.

We only wish we could have had longer than a week!

Room Tip: A room in the 50's....it's a slog, but it's quiet, has a small pool which is very quiet...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Danny B
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Both my wife and myself went to the hotel on Boxing Day 2013 for two weeks, service was second to none the gentleman at reception was fantastic on local tips, and market days and advice,room spotless tried to go book for next year but finding it hard to get flights but we loved it.

Room Tip: Room 319 breathtaking views
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple