“We Will Return to Villa Pecille”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panzano in Chianti
Villa Pecille (Azienda Agricola Fontodi S.S.)
Dallas, Texas
“We Will Return to Villa Pecille”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Villa Pecille has five units of different sizes. We spent a week in La Vigna, a two bedroom unit, earlier this month. This was the fourth time we have rented a villa in Italy with varying results. Our experience at Villa Peclle was easily our best of the four. La Vigna was perfect for us travelling with our granddaughter. The unit had two large bedrooms with comfortable beds and pillows. There was a cozy living area with a fireplace and well equipted kitchen including a dishwasher(seldom seen in rentals). There was even another room, used as a sitting room with a full third bath with a pull out couch. The A/C was far better than any we have experienced in villas or inns and the promised wi-fi worked as advertised. If you are a frequent traveller to Italy you know that isn't always the case. The unit even had instant hot water and plenty of it. When we moved into our unit, it was spotlessly clean.

We really appreciated that the owners price the units in dollars instead of euros. It takes the variable out of your cost. They even took checks for the deposit and final payment, therefore bypassing that dreaded foriegn exchange fee.

The property itself has expansive views over vineyards with Tuscan hills as a backdrop. A beatutiful pool ideally took advantage of the classic views from the grounds of the villa. Located in Panzano near Hwy. 222, Villa Pecille is ideally located for exploring the wine estates and hill towns of Chianti as well as a central point for excursions further afield. We ventured out to Volterra, San Gimignano, Lucca and the Florence-American Cemetery easily.

We found the staff to be readily available and helpful. Just using the washing machines and dryers and figuring out how to start the dishwasher could be a chore without the help of the villa's staff, primarily Anna. Gabriele was readily available to give directions, make reservations, mark up maps and offer helpful suggestions. In short, we thought the staff bent over backwards to enhance our stay.

We could not be happier with our experience at Villa Pecille. We look forward to returning to Chianti with friends and sharing this special place with them. If you are thinking about renting a villa in Chianti, don't hesitate to check out this winner.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank racar22

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Villa Pecille is one of three properties (collectively known as Tenute di Pecille) owned and managed by Azienda Agricola Fontodi in the Panzano vicinity. Villa Pecille on the edge of town, set among vineyards and olive groves, just a 5 minute walk to Panzano's central plaza. Villa Pecille has 5 apartments. We stayed in La Limonaia, a one bedroom, one bath apartment, with a large open kitchen, dining, and living room area. The apartment was spacious, nicely decorated, comfortable, and clean. There is a nice pool, although we were there a few weeks too early for sun and swim season. Panzano is a perfect location for meandering small Chianti hill towns ranging from Greve to Rada and Castellina. So far, so good. However, no synergy here – the total is LESS than the sum of the parts!

Everything that went wrong in two weeks of travel, went wrong in the three days we stayed at Villa Pecille. In fairness, some had nothing to do with the property or its management, such as my wife getting a two day stomach illness. But, other problems were their responsibility. On reflection, part of the issue is that Villa Pecille is truly independent travel. It is not a hotel or a B&B. it is an apartment with a part-time day manager and an on-call housekeeper. Both were nice, but rarely seen and not personally invested in either Villa Pecille or our happiness. Upon our return home, I was greeted with an email from the owner apologizing for the two issues discussed below, but also telling me that I was wrong on all accounts, and Villa Pecille has no responsibility for any of my concerns.

Villa Pecille has a free laundry room for guests. Knowing that we would be able to wash all of our clothes mid-way through our two week trip had some impact on the clothing we packed and our behavior/clothing usage during the first week of our trip. Well, the last night of our stay at Villa Pecille, we put all of our clothes into the two washing machines, only to learn an hour later that both dryers were broken. The next day, we learned from the housekeeper that one of the two dryers had been broken for some time. The manager made a sincere apology, but provided no assistance. I found a laundrymat in town where I dried our clothes. Our morning departure for Montepulciano was delayed until about 13:00.

Unlike all of our other accommodations, Tenute di Pecille quotes its prices to US travelers in US dollars. When initially corresponding with Tenute di Pecille, I requested that they give me a rate in euros, but they refused to do so, insisting that it works better for US travelers to have a price in US dollars. At the time of booking, Tenute di Pecille charged a 40% deposit to my credit card, which required that they convert their dollar quote to euros. Then, my credit card company converted their euro charge back into dollars. Of course, if the two exchange rate are not identical, there will be a variance. It could be in their favor or it could be in my favor, but unless the two exchange rates are identical, the dollar charge to my credit card will not be the price quoted to me in dollars. So, when checking out at the end of our stay, I explained to the Villa Pecille manager that our deposit was overcharged about 7 dollars. He was happy to make a small adjustment to our final bill. Of course, the charge for the balance had the same dollar to euro to dollar conversion issue and the total of both charges was still a few dollars more than the agreed total price. But, the real irritation, was the owner's email insisting that I was wrong, that I did not understand, that I was looking at my credit card company's international transaction fee, and I was not over charged. I wrote back with a polite, but detailed explanation, even including a pdf of the credit card bill, but four weeks later have received no reply.

Perhaps Villa Pecille was just not the right place for us. We loved the warm, gracious hospitality of the owner-operators of our other accommodations, all small inns and B&Bs. Perhaps it is unfair to compare Villa Pecille to them. If you are looking for a nice apartment, in a lovely and convenient location, with NO guest services, you might find Villa Pecille to be right for you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank bgmanne
GManetti, Proprietario at Villa Pecille (Azienda Agricola Fontodi S.S.), responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Dear Mr. bgmanne,

I decided to reply to you here because you wrote that you did not receive any answer from me. Probably my e-mails of May the 16th and June the 12th 2011 did not reach you.

Thank you very much for your nice words regarding "La Limonaia" apartment and our location in Panzano in Chianti.

I regret so much that your wife had a two days stomach illness during your stay here, even if it was not our responsibility because there is not a restaurant at "Villa Pecille".

You are completely right telling that "Villa Pecille" is not a hotel or a B&B; in fact it is composed of self catered apartments with the assistance of our part time receptionist who is reacheable at his mobile phone, when he is not present, and that is available for our guests different requests and to provide them suggestions, when needed and of our housekeeper who is in care of mid-week/ end of week cleanings. Your stay at "Villa Pecille" corresponded to three nights. Extra cleaning hours are available upon request. Our housekeeper is present at "Villa Pecille" every working day and available to solve practical problems.

Regarding the dryers issue our housekeeper realized before the week-end that one of them was broken. Unfortunately the technician from Florence is not working during week-ends. On that Saturday also the second one broke and this coincidence was definitively unfortunate. I am very sorry for the inconvenience that you were delayed in your departure by a few hours because your clothing was wet and that you also incurred a charge to dry your clothing at the nearby laundromat. For these reasons I confirm my intention to reimburse you the amount that you needed to pay at the laundromat. Please let me know the way in which I could do it.

With reference to our prices in USD, we convert them in this currency for our US clients because most of them prefer to pay their rental with US checks. Of course I am not earning anything more with this payment method. Regarding the little difference that you were denouncing, I was honestly thinking that corresponded to the bank fees, not to the automatic change between the two currencies during the credit card payment process. I regret that you were irritated about it, but I need to clarify that I never told you that you were wrong and that you did not understand. This doesn't correspond to my professional and personal way to behave.

I agree with you when you tell that it is unfair to compare "Villa Pecille" to a B&B or to a inn because it is not part of one of these two categories; infact it is an Agriturismo. In our particular case it corresponds to a brand new Villa, originally from the 18th Century, divided into five spacious and confortable apartments. The mission of my staff and I is the personal attention to the needs and the kind requests of each one of our guests since the beginning of our activity in 2001.

I really hope that you and your wife could come back at "Villa Pecille" in the future and that we could talk again about it in front of a nice botlle of wine. In the meantime I remain, as always, at your disposal.

Best regards from Panzano in Chianti
Relais Fattoria Valle in Panzano
Relais Fattoria Valle in Panzano
#2 of 5 in Panzano in Chianti
Resort Villa Rosa di Boscorotondo
Resort Villa Rosa di Boscorotond...
#3 of 5 in Panzano in Chianti
#2 of 9 in Panzano in Chianti
Casale Le Masse
Casale Le Masse
#2 of 40 in Greve in Chianti

Been to Villa Pecille (Azienda Agricola Fontodi S.S.)? Share your experiences!