“Great Cafe”

Dining options: Breakfast
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Cafe”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stopped here for sandwiches after our trip to Skellig Michael - I had the open crab salad sandwich and it was delicious. The portions were very good (we were starving from climbing the 600 stairs on Skellig Michael) and the prices were reasonable. We had them wrap our sandwiches to go then drove to nearby Ballycarberry Castle to have a picnic.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Steffany77

Zurich, Switzerland
“Keep coming back - it's worth it”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Portmagee has a lot of charme. And in Portmagee you need to take a break at the Skellig Mist Cafe. You can't oversee it. It's right on your right hand side, when you enter the village, coming from Caherciveen. If it's sunny and warm you will see happy people seated outside, enjoying some of the home baking.

Cakes and pastries, hot and cold sandwiches and very much more wait to be tasted. The hot Ciabbata is worth a try - the vegetarian version with brie or the classic meaty alternative. It comes with fries and a salad.

People are very friendly here. They remember you, even if it's some time since you have been there last. The service is personal and if it takes a tiny bit longer for the meals to arrive, then only, because they're prepared freshly. A good sign.

So, have a break here, while you are driving along the Ring Of Kerry, when returning from the Skelligs or before a walk on Valentia.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank mortimer1995
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
“Pastries, cakes & mouthwatering treats of the highest order!”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I must admit that I was more that surprised to read some of the negative reviews regarding this cafe which is unfortunate. Me and my wife have been using this eatery for a great number of years and have only experienced the highest standards of food and service. The proprietor, Eileen, has won many awards and accolades over the years for her creativity in producing a wide array of gastronomic delights including cakes and pastries. Her reputation as a pastry chef and standing in the local community go before her. My waistline is a testament to the fact that I am working my way through every variety of fresh cake she bakes on the premises daily. The cafe is situated in the National award winning fishing village of Portmagee and the rear of the premises commands magnificent views of the picturesque Island of Valentia. On many a summers day I have sat on the patio, surrounded by family and friends, and enjoyed fresh hand made sandwiches and cakes at their best. If you are passing this particular neck of the woods then don't miss out on a real treat and be prepared to expand the waistline!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank ValentiaBM1013
Waterford,Ireland
“Most devine baked goods lost in Skellig Mist”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you like delicious cakes,pastry,scones ans can put up with appaling service then you are in for a treat, however I believe eileen the owner has lost the concept of customer service with the counter staff she hires. First you must order at the counter before you take your seat so this creates congestion in thew small enclosed area. The place is small enough to get people seated first and serve them at the table. I witnessed one of the girls giving information on boats trips in the area to a group of American tourists and its just as well they were keen to travel on their trip because she didnt nothing for Kerry tourisim. Oh this could easily turn into a rant about poor customer service- do your tastebuds a favour order some delicious baked goods to take away

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank FionnualaJBrazil
“Could be a gem but let down by appalling service”
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Are there with my family during a recent holiday in South Kerry.

Our meal started off well with the children's milkshakes arriving, which they seemed to enjoy. After a slight delay the coffees arrived. Then some dessert items. However, the main course I ordered didn't come. After about 45 minutes of waiting it started to rain so we moved indoors, only to pass a table with someone clearly eating my main course.

On complaining at the counter, the staff couldn't have cared 2 hoots, didn't apologise, didn't offer any recompense, and said they had nothing to offer that would be quick other than a sausage roll. By this time I was really hungry so I agreed to the sausage roll, and anticipated its arrival eagerly. I needn't have bothered, when it came it was about the size of my index finger and soggy due to being heated in the microwave. I ate quickly so we could just leave the place.

Given that we were staying locally, we could have visited Skellig Mist more often, but I'm afraid once was enough for us. The owner looks to bake lovely cakes, which we might have sampled had my main course ever arrived, but abysmal service (not by the owner who was nowhere to be seen) denied the cafe a chance to prove this.