“will definitely return, again and again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portmagee
Calafont Portmagee Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 8 Portmagee B&B and Inns
Kildare, Ireland
“will definitely return, again and again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My friend Louise and I spent four nights with Mary Carton in Calafont. We were received with the warmest welcome from Mary. We stayed in the family room upstairs which was beautifully decorated, spacious and the bedroom had an amazing view of mountains, sea and cliffs. Also a beautiful gentle sound of the birds chorus , nature's orchestra outside my window. The house felt so fresh and new and most important, breakfast was delicious,atmosphere was fun and friendly among clients. Mary kindly organised our trip to Skellig Michael which was the highlight of our trip. Not to mention the craic in The Moorings , set dancing with the locals and music galore. I will definitley return to The Ring of Kerry and will return to Mary in Calafont 'Home from Home' highly recommended by Thelma and Louise

Room Tip: amazing views from all windows
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank therese k

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Spring, TX, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I am amazed to see the other positive reviews, as my experience does not resonate with those reviews. Mary seemed kind enough, but was not very social or welcoming. I even felt like she was putting me down when I was explaining my difficulty with the directions. She does not understand computer things well enough to understand how to fix her Wi-Fi and thus most of the time we had no Wi-Fi. Rooms are decorated for girly women, which didn't bother me, but I wouldn't recommend the decor to my guy friends. The area was under attack by biting, flying ants, but the window was left open, leaving me to kill and clean up a bunch of flying ants. Room was not en suite, though I had been led to believe that I would have that. The reason I give this a rating of 2 instead of 1 is that the view was nice and breakfast was good. I will not return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Christa343
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Came back for a second trip over to Skeilig Michael. We stayed with Mary and she organised our trip over with Casey. Nearly missed my ceili music this morning but she got the machine working. Mary will have to learn the meaning of the word copious.He breakfasts are just that and more besides.

Really enjoyed our short stay. Will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We spent two nights with Mary in July and found her B&B perfect for our needs. We had the family room upstairs and it was very clean and comfortable. Having three beds meant each of my daughters had her own bed - an unusual situation on our trip. Mary was kind and welcoming, helping us with anything we needed. She arranged our Skellig Michael trip for us and made sure we knew when and where to be for the trip. Her house is just up the hill from Portmagee so the village can easily be reached on foot. I would absolutely stay with Mary again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 642DY72
Biel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The B&B have a wonderful view on the bay of Portmagee.
Mary is a perfect hostess and was always very helpful, by providing tips concerning great spots to discover or where to go for the best diner.
Also the Breakfast was very nice and diversified.
The Room was lovely and there was plenty of space for a family with 2 kinds.
We are very happy to recommend this B&B

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Urs T
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

A B&B is defined by its atmosphere and service, and we just loved Mary :) It was like visiting an aunt. She brought us snacks and milk for our tea, was patient with me on the phone when I got hopelessly lost, booked us on the boat for the Skelligs tour, showed us an out of the way place for an adventurous hike, and even offered to press our damp jeans.

The B&B seemed quite new and in great condition, and was in a quiet location, about a 10-15 minute walk to the village.

A quick note on Portmagee - If staying there for more than a few days, drive to Cahersiveen for your suppers. The local pub is ok, but we needed a change of scenery.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael H
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

This B and B is just up the road from the harbour and has the views you would pay big bucks for in other B and B's or hotels closer to the harbour. Mary will give you a warm welcome and help you get the best out of whatever time you have, from eating out to sights not to miss. The rooms are lovely and comfortable as well as spotlessly clean. The breakfast was just delicious and all you could need to see you off on a days sightseeing. This is a place I wish I had spent more time and next time I will.Thanks Mary

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmagee
Skellig Ring House Hostel
#3 of 8 in Valentia Island
Portmagee Seaside Cottages
Portmagee Seaside Cottages
#2 of 2 in Portmagee

Been to Calafont Portmagee Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!