“Good food, great portions”
Review of Bridge Bar The

Bridge Bar The
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Portmagee
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Bridge Bar at The Moorings, Portmagee is open all year round. Great food served all day with traditional music at weekends. Trips to Skellig Michael can be arranged and packages are available from April to September. Cois Cuain gift shop is open from March to January. The Moorings is located in a fishing village with a working harbour, post office, general store, coffee shop, bar, restaurant overlooking Valentia Island. There's nothing more endearing than knowing that some of the Hollywood's biggest movie stars like Mark Hamill and Director J.J Abrams have visited the sleepy village of Portmagee, and even sat in the Bridge Bar local pub where Mark Hamill poured a pint of Guinness behind the bar. The Moorings was home to the pre-production team of the Star Wars VII movie and you can visit the room where all the magic took place and listen to the stories told by the staff.
Reviewed August 23, 2015 via mobile

Ate here twice and had great food both times. The service was very attentive, the first time we arrived we were told we'd have to wait 10-15mins but after ordering a drink at the bar we were seated before the Guinness had time to settle. Portions are huge so make sure you're hungry when you go!

Reviewed August 17, 2015

Back again at 'The Bridge' on hols. Was delighted to be there. Saw major changes which I had to get used to. Having a 'front of house' person to meet you on arrival is great. As this plasce is so busy it's nice to know how long you might be waiting for a table, it's also a very professional way to do business. For those not used to this place, it is small generally but very popular. Everyone stops here because of their reputation for great food and trying to feed all who walk through their doors. Ate here on many occasions this year so I had a chance to sample quite a bit of their food. So what's good. From the Mains: I had Fish & Chips, Burger and Chips, Large Chicken Ceasar Salad, Rib Beef, Pasta Bolegnaise, Chicken & Mushroom in a light creamy pesto sauce with pasta. All were very tasty. I enjoyed each dish and to be honest could have had more due to taste. The portion sizes were just right. I never left the table feeling 'stuffed to the gills' but never feeling hungry. The only thing reduced in portion size was the chips and that is probably a good thing. As regards Starters the veg soup was brilliant but the chowder was to die for. I have tried it in other places but this place has never been surpassed. The sandwiches were soo fresh and tasty. The open sandwiches were excellent. Served with a few rippled chips they add a certain saltiness to the food. Deserts are off the chart. I restrained on most occasions as I could have put on a stone weight on deserts alone. Sufice it to say the kitchen staff have done it again. They have standards they do not compremise on ever. Bravo. I have never, in 18 summers, had bad food in this popular spot on the 'Ring'. That is down to two people - Gerard & Patricia Kennedy (owners). Their standards have always been high and all who work here have a similar ethic as regards their work and service of others. Even on the busy bank holiday they were unflapable. This was lead by the manager Ciaran at the front of house. He has a great memory for faces and names. Everyone got a table as soon as he could. He was ably assisted by Jess, Natasha, Shauna out front, and Paul, Tomas, Moss and Dinny behind the bar. Thank you all for another great holiday. The music nights were brilliant. Keep up the good work.

2  Thank Philip R
Reviewed August 14, 2015

Went to dinner with a group of 11 and had a wonderful night. The place was packed but service was very efficient and friendly. We had to move after dinner as we were seated in the area that the musicians set up, but we're not rushed. Stayed for an unforgettable night of music - the best I saw in Ireland. A truly memorable evening that just got better and better.

1  Thank Jeanne732
Reviewed August 12, 2015 via mobile

Great chowder! Every time the same. Very tasty with big chunks of fish. My favourite because some smoked fish in it. Thanks.

Reviewed August 10, 2015

I have been visiting Valentia Island my whole life and in more recent times have stopped by the bridge bar once or twice during the holiday.

I find the atmosphere to be great in the evenings and during the day it has a great outdoor seating area for a warm day if you get lucky.

I had the fish and chips which I thought was tasty and I find the Guiness at the bridge bar to be one of the better pints I have had.

Worth a visit if you are in the area.