“New look, new people, same old charm.”

The Pink Elephant Bar & Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Pink Elephant is a bar & restaurant with spectacular views over the Atlantic Ocean and Courtmacsherry Bay. Situated right on the Wild Atlantic Way, The Pink Elephant serves award winning evening meals, bar lunches on Saturday and traditional Sunday lunches. Ideal for parties, functions or gatherings The Pink Elephant, with phenomenal views, delicious food wide variety of craft beers and ciders and fine wines, makes any visit super enjoyable. We also host bespoke wedding ceremonies & receptions. Just 15 minutes from Kinsale, Clonakilty or Bandon, and only 40 minutes from Cork City The Pink Elephant is an essential part of any trip to West Cork.
Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New look, new people, same old charm.”
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I had been to the Pink some years back with some friends and had a wonderful time there being entertained by the owner, so when Karen and I were out for a drive to West Cork we decided to stop and have a drink as the day was so hot. The previous owner has retired and the whole inside of the restaurant and bar has been refurbished but the magnificent view hasn't changed. There are very few things on this Earth than can beat a hot sunny day, a cold drink and beautiful West Cork seascape.

We had intended on dining in Kinsale that night but as we were leaving I noticed one of the staff putting out a blackboard with a menu on it. Karen asked if they were the days specials and was told that there is no normal "set" menu available as the menu changes each day depending on the freshness of the produce available. This was a refreshing change to hear as I sometimes suspect that what I am getting today is what I could have got a lot fresher when it was bought in days before. So we decided to travel on down the coast but not before we asked about reserving a place for that evening. The barman said that we could either go for the early bird menu or the full one depending on what time we turned up.

When we got in that evening at about 20.30hrs we were fairly hungry and looking forward to eating. We were greeted by Jeremy who produced the blackboard and got us a drink. The place was moderetly busy but we were not rushed in making our choice which was just as well as the selection on offer was fantastic. After much deliberation on Karen's part she went for the Black Sole in lemon butter sauce while I, as a creature of habit, decided to go for the fillet of steak with pepper sauce. Karen opted for the liver pate as opposed to my seafood platter for starters. A Spanish Albarino was recommended by Jeremy to go with the lemon sole where as I was stuck with mineral water as I was driving (grrrr).

We were directed to our table after about 10 minutes and savoured our starters over a beautiful setting sun. The sense of relaxation from just turning of your phone and looking out over Courtmacsherry Bay is something to be experienced. It beats stop go traffic, constant emails and spreadsheets any day of the week.

The main course was superb and there was plenty of side veg with it. I had asked for my steak medium rare and that is exactly what I got.Too often chef's either do medium or rare with no in between. i know it sounds petty but steak is me thing and if I am paying to have it cooked a certain way then thats the way I want it. Whoever cooked my steak could give lessons to a few other more expensive places that i have visited. I tried Karen's Black Sole with the lemon butter sauce and was impressed by the was it also was cooked just right. She thought so as well as she told me to stick to my steak and stop looking for seconds from her plate. A sip of the wine showed that the barman's recommendation was spot on.

By the time dessert came around I was nearly full, however I "forced" myself to indulge in a nice slice of Eton Mess which I couldn't finish I just couldn't keep eating anymore. Karen on the other hand made short shift of a Chocolate Marquise. A self confessed chocoholic she reckons that it should keep her going for a week!

When we had finished we had a cup of coffee at the bar and talked to the owner. Apparently the Pink has been done up for a couple of years with the new owner being a local. We had a great chat about this and that and all the usual banter that goes with an Irish pub. the great thing about this setting is that instead of dining in a normal restaurant and then having to leave and search out some after dinner atmosphere, in the Pink you just had to go from one room to the other. We had intended being home early but got chatting to some locals who were having their Saturday night pint. The end result was leaving well past midnight for a 2 hour drive. Karen was paying a little too much attention to the fact that there was a sign saying that they also cater for weddings but luckily enough Jeremy handed her the unfinished and now corked Albarino and distracted her enough for me to get her out while the going was good!

Overall I wished that i had returned here long before now as it is a long time since I actually enjoyed a dining experience. The meal and wine were at the top end of the menu but we had decided to treat ourselves and I have often taken clients to places costing twice the price with half value. Karen is still on a chocolate buzz from the Marquise and I think that an extra day or to extra in the gym will be needed. One thing is definite, any more trips that come even some bit close to this part of the world will involve a detour to this wonderful part of West Cork.

1 Thank PONeillTAL

Cork
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tickled Pink in the resturant by the bay;”
Reviewed May 8, 2010

On the occasion of a family dinner our party of five adults and three children chose Sunday lunch at the Pink Elephant,Haurbour view,West Cork.From the moment we arrived the welcome we recieved from Jeremy the maitre d' and the prop. Neil made us feel comfortable and relaxed.Even though it was extremely busy we were catered for eficiently and recieved personal attention.We were seated within ten minutes.
From our table the stunning panaromic views of Courtmacsherry Bay and the eclectic decor of the Pink instantly provided a pleasant and calming dining expierence.Food was excellent,notably the seafood and the incredibly tender Irish beef.Waiting staff were friendly and personable;especially accomadating of the children.
Having been recently bereft of my husband of 34 years,lately,social discourse or dining out can be stressful,however our Sunday lunch at the Pink Elephant was an uplifting,refreshing and delightful expierence.We will definitly return.Bon apetite!

1 Thank MarianCork
dubai
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Views, lovely food, excellent atmosphere!”
Reviewed April 27, 2010

We visit ireland once or twice a year and always visit the Pink Elephant if in the area. The scenery is beautiful, the atmosphere is great due to the two Owners; Niall and Jeremy being like a Comedy act! They are very accomodating, and the fact that it is always full of locals is a testament to how good the Restaurant is! Food good and a varied Menu using a lot of Local produce, which is a nice touch too.

1 Thank cheekyDubai
Ohio
“Good food but expensive”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

First off my husband got the lamb shank and paid 22 euro and we found out from one of the B&B owners we stayed at that she feeds this to her dog and she can buy it at the local butcher for 2 euro!!! The waiter said it would just fall right off the bone, it didn't. Or at least not like we are use to with beef. I had pasta which was just OK. Nothing to go nuts over. Overall the service and atmosphere was GREAT. It sits right by the ocean. Our B&B set the reservation up and we definitely felt underdressed. We had been traveling through Ireland for 12 days with the basic clothing and keeping it light so we were in jeans. Anyways food was good but nothing we couldn't eat a basic local restaurant for cheaper. We spent around 55 euros for a basic meal. We aren't into over the top meals and they had some things on the menu we had no clue what they were. But this place was only a mile from out B&B and our other options were eaching at anothing pub (no thanks) or driving at least 45 minutes. For me it was a 6 out of 10.

Cork
“Fantastic food with a stunning view”
Reviewed February 13, 2010

As I live in the area,I;ve been to the Pink Elephant loads of times.The food is always excellent.If there is anything that you don't eat,they are very accomodating.The food is very good value for money,portion sizes are good,you'll never go home hungry.They also do a fantastic early bird menu if you want to control your spending a bit more,3 courses for about €25.They have full wine and bar license,a lovely wine list for every price range,in particular a fabulous Prosecco.Excellent restaurant for vegetarians,beautiful risottos,curries and pasta dishes.Also,if you are a chocaholic like me,Brenda's chocolate mousse is to die for!The staff are always friendly,and the atmosphere is very welcoming.The view is just spectacular from the dining room,you won't find anywhere else like it!