My wife and I stayed at the Afroessa Hotel from June 1 2014, for 7 nights.
It is a very nice elegant small hotel run by a very charming refined lady, with an excellent staff. Everyone is very pleasant, helpful and works hard to make you feel comfortable.
They arranged pickup from the airport, and drop off at the harbor ( for the next leg of our vacation). They provided a useful orientation when you first arrive, that includes a nice schematic map of the local area.
They were coincidently familiar with the next leg of our trip (Naxos), and had excellent suggestions for that island as well.
The Santorini cliff hotels have a unique, vertical architectural style, that seems unique in the world. The older cliff hotels were either cave dwellings, animal pens, or wineries (as this hotel was).
The pictures showing the refurbishment of the old wreckage into the current elegant hotel are “shocking” in the scale of transofrmation.
Everything done to refurbish these hotels had to be done by hand: No bulldozers. No dynamite. No cement trucks. No cranes.
All the rocks for building were carried by hand, or broken by hand. The cement sacks were carried by hand, and mixed by hand. The swimming pool was carved out of stone by hand. All the furniture, doors, fixtures, tiles, marble etc. etc. etc. , were all carried by hand.
In fact, everything required to run the hotel today, is still all carried from the main road by hand.
These cliff buildings involve a lot of walking up/down stairs, and winding paths carrying essentials of everyday life.
Our hotel balcony had a superb view of the ocean, Therasia, Oie, and of course sunsets.
It is hard to think how it could have been improved.
Oie is more charming than Fira.
We took a wine tour with a trip to the archeological site. It was very worth while , pleasant, and informative. The diminutive grape vines are cute, and unique in the world.
We also took a catamaran sailboat tour. It was pleasant, but it seemed more aimed at tour-boat passengers and their shuttle-timetables, rather than people that were had more time to spend sightseeing, Various other boat tours would have been better value.
We took the mule rode up to Fira from the harbour. Hard to hold on with one hand, while trying to film my wife with the other. Very hard on the posturer. Nice calm animals, and entertaining drivers.
In summary, great hotel, staff, location, and island.
Santorini is a wonderful place.
GB and NL
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel "Afroessa." Afroessa hotel praises romance. Our guests experience the exceptional view from our "old canavas" rooms, set atop Santorini's hillside. The original site of a winery built in 1700, it was renovated in 1998 on its existing foundation. Our ten studios, each with its own unique archway are built on five levels, with their own magical view of the Caldera. Each studio is individually decorated giving each its own distinct character, yet maintaining the traditional style. The beds are built into the foundations and the furnishings and decorations chosen so as to enhance the warm and romantic feelings created by the surroundings. The priceless moments which you will experience during the enchanting sunsets from your balconies and the relaxing pool bar, with chill-out music will forever remain in your memories, reminding you of the serene calm and magic of Afroessa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Afroessa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Afroessa Hotel Imerovigli
- Afroessa Hotel Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece