“I agree with Lisa K; Do your homework before you book. Read carefully if you're mobility is impaired.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andromeda Villas

Andromeda Villas
Ranked #15 of 29 Imerovigli B&B and Inns
Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I started to write a long review of this hotel but fortunately read Lisa K's review first and discovered that my views were largely the same as hers so I would urge you to read her well written submission.

We didn't have the room changing experience that she did but encountered people who had asked to be moved. If I describe the rooms as cavernous I don't mean that they were huge, anything but, but simply like caves. Bathrooms were small, smelly and inadequate. We've been to Greece before so being unable to flush toilet tissue came as no surprise but jars a little with western european expectations and sensitivities. I am at a loss to know where the gorgeous rooms are that other reviewers have experienced.

What you are buying here is the situation, which is spectacular but at a price. Even understanding and accepting the fact that southern european hotel standards may not be what we would anticipate elsewhere leaves this hotel a bit on the shabby side and in need of some inward investment.

However,my abiding recollection of this hotel will be the steps. All of the hotels on the caldera have the same kind of problem but at Andromeda Villas we found that there were 200 steps between the reception level and the hotel entrance in Imerovigli. There are two lifts but they don't cover the whole distance. If you're mobility is at all impaired, you depend on a wheelchair or have cardiovascular problems then this hotel could be very difficult or impossible for you. My wife and I are pretty fit and indulge in long distance walking but by the end of a fortnight(I agree that is too long for all Santorini has to offer) we were utterly sick of climbing steps to get anywhere.

I don't entirely agree about the hotel staff. In the main everything was fine-ish but we were chivvied out our room earlier than was required on our last day. Three requests to the hotel reception to take our baggage up to a booked taxi produced no result so we had to take our bags ourselves..........200 steps with incomplete lift coverage on a very hot day. The hotel probably would have got round to it eventually, maybe, but we had a schedule to keep to. Our schedule wasn't as tight as we thought however because the taxi didn't turn up but we can't blame the hotel for that.

Overall we came home feeling that we had not had good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I went to santorini to get married and spend our honeymoon in santorini.We stayed at the andromedia villas and were not dissaopinted! I cant talk for all the rooms in the hotel but ours was gorgeous. I requested a private balcony, which we got. We woke up every morning, opened our blinds and looked out to paradise! the balcony had 2 sun beds and a small table and chairs which we sat and watched the sun set most nights. We always found sunbeds around one of the pool areas. The main pool was always taken very early but there is plenty more sopts up for grabs. The breakfast was good and the menu for lunch and dinner was fab! The staff are the nicest people! Nothing is too much trouble for them! I never write reviews but felt i had to eave positive feedback after reading bad reviews. Overall this is a gorgeous hotel and i would reccommend it without a doubt!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Found this hotel on the internet. The photos where amazing and tempted.

We decided to book for one week.
Starting with our first call the reservation manager was so nice. We exchange different email, they even promote us to a nicer room (larger) at no extra charge.

After 3 hours flight we arrived at night.

A funny and friendly lady by the name of Lydia welcome us. She explain everything to us, like a tour guide will do.

Our room was so geat (lucky number 1 ).

In the morning when we open the balcony the view was breathtaking.

Wowwwwww

Blue and clear sky, sea view.....best view from a hotel room so fare (I'm 57)

The next day we chat with Tula at the front desk, same story they are so nice.
Knowing the actual Greek situation I was wondering if they will keep smiling before getting here.
Guess what: best smile and kindness on earth.

Actually everyone is nice over here, at the hotel the restaurants the whole Island.

You feel "WELCOME" no one pushed you if they know a cheaper place to shop or to eat they let you know.

We try twice the restaurant and it worth the visit.
Great food at affordable price.
They even organise 3 course's dinner I guess twice a week. We try it once with wine included for 23 € can beat that.

A must go Hotel.

I forget to mention free wifi by the pool.
When some 5* hotel most of the time charged you big money to surf.

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a very good value hotel for Santorini - cut into the cliff face with the usual wonderful views, a lovely swimming pool - unusally this place even has a lift to cut out some of the inevitable steps up to the road which makes it a much more accessible hotel than many. The food was excellent at the pool side bar and the restaurant. The service was also wonderful, they brought round little amuse bouches when we were sitting by the pool and were extremely nice and helpful. Have stayed many times in Santorini and can really recommend this place. There are some lovely restaurants in Imerovigli and it is well situated to go either into Fira town, over to Oia, or into the island to the vineyards, the red beach and Akrotiri ruins.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank NewYorkH
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

One of the most spectacular looking hotels we’ve ever stayed in! It is perched on the slopes of a mountain, overlooking the gorgeous sea, away from the towns of Oia and Fira. Intentionally, the architecture is such that you are confused about how to head to the reception or even your room, with none of the adjacent hotels having any visible boundaries, every wall being white.
You will be climbing a lot of stone steps. So if this is an issue, stay away.
The room was designed as if carved into a cave within the mountain rocks. The lights, the hot tub, balcony with bed for sun bathing, chairs and an aesthetically designed open bath will certainly engage you into romance.
The breakfast buffet has a good spread and the eatery boasts of a wonderful view. You could optionally order breakfast to your room balcony.
The staff is polite, albeit quite laid back with rigid day timings for the reception as well. So do not expect efficient service at your beck and call.

Room Tip: Rooms with attached hot tubs are worth the extra buck.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Having experienced pathetic service at Melia (Athens) and San Marco (Mykonos), we were apprehensive about this hotel's service.
But to our pleasant surprise, the experience of staying at Andromeda Villas (Santorini) was a very very nice one.
The staff were helpful, to the point of being extra-courteous and soft spoken, well mannered, pleasant to talk to, engaged their guests in very pleasant conversations and helped us at all odd hours of the day.
The rooms face the Caldera and the breath-taking view of the sunset over the caldera just mesmerizes the onlooker!!
I just hope that they continue their excellent service in future also.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the series of 101 to 110 as they are midway up the cliff - so near access to lift...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank anisenkolkata0310
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

As per my other reviews I'm going to try and help filter out the rather odd (in my opinion) comments that appear on Trip Advisor about this hotel. We've been wanting to go to Santorini for two years and booked Andromeda Villas nearly a year ago, so plenty of planning went into our hotel choice.

So starting with the obvious, I'm presuming that you're aware of where Imerovigli is - 1000ft above sea level - and I'm presuming that you're looking at this hotel for all the same reasons that we did, the famous white paths, blue tops, unbelievable views and stunning sunsets. If you want to experience Santorini for these reasons then Andromedia Villas is a great base for a great holiday and yes, there are stairs. It took us 2-3 days to work out the best way from the bottom to the top and back again with the help of the lifts on some lazy days - all part of the fun though. I'm also presuming that you are aware that Greece is a very minimalistic place - white on the outside, white on the inside, minimal furniture and decor etc. so bear this in mind and bear in mind that there are plenty of hotels to choose from along the Caldera ALL offering the views and all offering similar levels of comfort. You get what you pay for and after reading some of the reviews/complaints my first choice of hotel was the Honeymoon Villas but this added £400 to the cost of the holiday. We walked past it twice, it looked great but it didn't look to offer anything else that Andromeda did - so we saved alot of money (which you'll need - Santorini IS an expensive place to play).

Into alittle more detail about Andromeda Villas - some people complained about the internet and wifi. I can't comment as I don't go on holiday to surf the net. Some people complained about the tv channels or the tv not working - again, I don't go on holiday to watch tv. Although I did find Jamie Oliver cooking one afternoon and Rocky boxing one evening. A few people have recently complained about a strange smell. We were there the same week and unless we need to go to see a doctor, we have no idea what they are on about.

We were greeted at the top of the stairs by Lydia who checked us all in quickly and asked us to wait by the pool by where there was a complimentary fresh juice waiting. She then introduced the hotel and it's facilities before taking us to our room. A nice way to start a great holiday.

We booked a superior room. Again, after reading some reviews, I tried to upgrade to a suite before arriving but they were full - it didn't matter though. Our room (32, just above the restaurant and pool) was great. A decent size, fresh, and clean but yes, very minamalistic. The fridge and aircon seemed fine, the bed was huge and comfy and the bathroom a decent size. There aren't really any stand up showers in Santorini but it wasn't difficult to stand up in the bath and shower down. The room was cleaned daily to our satisfaction by a very smiley lady.

There are three small very clean pools - the main one and two splash pools (the bottom one allowing for some fantastic infinity pool photos). The top one was more breezy which was perfect for me as it didn't feel too hot. All of the public areas were very clean. The pool bar was sometimes unmanned - be aware of (and slow down to) their way/speed of life and stop complaining about a five minute wait for pool towels. You're on holiday, what's the rush? The snacks and drinks from here were very nice and they offer tasters, melon, pizza to sunbathers during the morning - another nice touch. The food seemed resonably priced too, not at first but after a trip to Fira, there are many more expensive places to eat.

We were on a B&B basis and did go down the restaurant for breakfast each day. My partner thought the fresh fruit and croissants were great. I opted for the warmer breakfast and unfortunately this wasn't that - bacon and sausages, eggs and veg(!?!) all seemed cold each day. Saying that, we both ate enough to keep us going every day.

I'm happy to go into more detail if you want to contact me but I'd prefer you to book here and go and enjoy this hotel and Santorini. Say hi to Lydia from us, she was fantasic at helping us organise our holiday. Find the middle path and walk to Fira in the evening (taxi back is 6 euros) and choose a different restaurant each time. 2x starters, 2x mains plus 1x desert and a bottle of wine ranged from 40 - 90 euros. Every meal was absolutely fanastic so hunt around and you can either budget or splash out without worry. The house wines are all great too (be prepared to pay 30+ euros for any other bottles).

The path to Skaros Rock is a stones throw away and the little church around the back is picture postcard perfect. Take plenty of water, the walk out to the rock is a trek (and I thought I was fit). My final tip is to not bother going to Oia for the sunset; after the peace and quiet of watching it from our balcony, a caldera restaurant or from the sunset cruise ship, Oia really is a rat race of tourists pushing and shoving to get the best spots.... Andomeda Villas equals the best spot.

My official rating of this GREEK hotel is 3.5 stars. The breakfast lost Andromeda Villas some points and the pool/bar men really needed to smile alittle more (like the three lady managers). For what we paid we were EXTREMELY happy with our choice in the end. If we won a few quid on the lottery we would go back to Santorini and we honestly would go back to the Andromeda Villas.

Room Tip: Each room seemed to have it's own pros and cons. i.e. lower floors were less breezy, upper floor...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple