“I enjoyed the climb and the views immensely”
Review of Skaros Rock

and up
Private Half-Day Tour of Santorini North Side
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Imerovigli
More attraction details
Owner description: Skaros was considered the most important of Santorini's five castle fortresses. The rock was inhabited in medieval times, because the fortress constructed there offered protection from pirates.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

It was a challenge that was there and had to be done. Directly outside our hotel (Sunny Villas) was an immense rock on the ocean with a path to it that looped down and up to the other side. It was a fabulous view all by itself in the middle of the Aegean Sea surrounded by volcano and other islands. The views were fantastic the entire way. The wind was up and added to the ambiance. There were lizards, bees and other bugs, but nothing that bothered. Who doesn't want a mildly exerting climb with fantastic scenery the entire way. I certainly needed the exercise after all that Greek food :)

I would not do it when it was either wet or dark. I thought my children (6 and 8) were a little young for it. Bring water.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,350)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
"views are amazing"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The hike to Skaros Rock and the church clinging to the side of the massif tops my list of things to do in Santorini. My husband and I came here nearly 22 years ago on our honeymoon. This time we brought our daughter whose middle name is Santorini. We happened to run into the owner of the Blue Note Restaurant as we were looking for the beginning of the staircase. It sits on the west side of his restaurant. It took us about 45 minutes to walk one way to the rock. We went around 10 a.m. and returned by noon. We had plenty of time to experience the peace and tranquility of the church and the area's natural beauty. I'm confused by some of the other posts that talk about climbing the rock itself. I suppose that's possible. We found a path on the righthand side but decided it looked sketchy. We were happy to have followed the lefthand route to the church.

1  Thank ccrock08
Reviewed March 11, 2013

It is a long climb but worth the it because of the views. I wouldn't do it in early evening for the sunset although many do because I wouldn't want to walk down in the dark. Early morning is pretty close to perfect too.

1  Thank JTully
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Provides a good insight into what medieval Santorini must have been like. However the authorities really must get their act together and provide safe guard rails at some parts of the walk and the site, to warn visitors of some dangers (rocks falling, no guard rails, big cliff)

See more reviews
Reviewed February 6, 2013

A fantastic hike! I am glad I found out about it before the trip on trip advisor. It does take a lot longer to make the full circuit than it looks. The first time we went the sun went down when we were only halfway, and we decided for safety reasons to head back up to the footpath while we could still see our feet. Two days later we went back in the morning. Allow plenty of time: you won’t want to rush away. Spectacular! Make sure you see the church on the caldera side of the rock : it’s good to have a goal when you keep walking, and walking…. Looking back, it was one of the most memorable parts of our 4 day stay on Santorini. The entire walk there from Firostefani (where our hotel was) was wonderful.

1  Thank linnea56