My boyfriend and I stayed 6 nights at Iliovasillema Suites between 17th – 23rd July 2013. We stayed in room 9 with an outdoor Jacuzzi. THE VIEW - The first thing to mention about the hotel is that the views are spectacular throughout the day. The sunsets definitely live up to the hype and completely transform the horizon. I think the view is unbeaten by all other spots we visited on the island, so to have it on your doorstep every morning was incredible. This is one of the main reasons people come to Santorini and I think Iliovasillema (which means sunset in Greek!) completely exceeded our expectations on this front. THE HOTEL & STAFF – This is a really warm, friendly, beautiful hotel. All of the staff were great. They were always smiling and came across as genuinely happy to be there helping to make our stay enjoyable. The wifi is better in some places than others (it didn’t really work in our room) but it’s enough for browsing the essentials like facebook and the news by the pool. Bear in mind that it can get pretty windy in Imerovigli (and the rest of the island) so bring a jumper for watching the sunsets and going out in the evenings. THE ROOM – Room 9 was right by the pool but the hotel is so quiet and peaceful that this didn’t affect our privacy at all. I imagine that the rooms lower down have a lot more privacy but as I said this wasn’t a problem for us. The unheated Jacuzzi was an amazing way to cool down in the heat and definitely recommended. You’ll also get a bit more balcony space if you have one too. However all rooms have the amazing view and that’s all that really counts! THE FOOD – The breakfast is served on your balcony each morning which we loved. It was so relaxed. It’s recommended that you let reception know what time you want it the night before and they serve this until 11am. The breakfast includes pastries (very tasty), ham and cheese toasties (which weren’t really my thing first thing in the morning), fruit, greek yoghurt and bread rolls with a selection of jams/honey. I bought some cereal from the local shop to add to the yoghurt with some honey for a bit of variation. The light meals they offer throughout the day are nice although don’t compare to any of the restaurants we ate at (though that’s a bit too much to expect!). The portions were really big so you won’t go hungry there. I particularly enjoyed the pesto spaghetti. THE LOCAL AREA – Imerovigli was definitely the best choice for us. Close enough to the busy hubs on the island but very chilled out and quiet when you wanted to escape them. There is a little ‘Mini Market’ two minutes’ walk from the hotel which has a good selection of food and drinks. There are some really good places to eat less than a 10 minute walkaway – Anogi, Kapari Wine Restaurant (right next door) and Imerovigli Taverna would be our top recommendations. The latter was recommended to us by the reception and had a very authentic feel. The food was incredible too. Also in Imerovigli is Skaros Rock (right in front of the hotel). If you have the stamina for the steps down and (more importantly) up again then it’s a great climb. Obviously wear sensible shoes and don’t take small children as it’s pretty dangerous in places. The view is well worth it though. THE REST OF THE ISLAND – Other places to eat; Metaxi Mas (family-run restaurant that is very popular despite it is small size and remote location. People keep coming because the food is very good and they are incredibly generous with what they give you. Get a taxi there!) and Blue Volcano in Fira. Try and book a boat trip to the caldera if you can. We spent an amazing half-day with Spiridakos who are a great option with plenty of opportunity to swim and snorkel. CONCLUSION – We had an amazing week. We can’t recommend this hotel enough and especially the surrounding area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Imerovigli, one of the most beautiful villages of Santorini Island, you will find the ILIOVASILEMA HOTEL APARTMENTS ("Iliovasilema" is the Greek word for "sunset"). Iliovasilema is situated on the enchanting and world famous Caldera. Built 350m above sea level, offers to its guests the most fascinating view of the volcano and the little islands of the Aegean Sea, as well as of the dazzling sunset. Iliovasilema was initially built in year 1996, has been renovated and remodeled in year 2002 and still grows, following always the rules and the tradition of the Cycladic architecture! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Iliovasilema Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iliovasillema Hotel Imerovigli
- Iliovasilema Hotel Imerovigli
- Iliovasilema Suites Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece