All reviews wine bar natural cave cave restaurant highest point of the caldera sunset view greek coffee look no further santorini experience spent a week amazing views breakfast was delicious amazing hotel cave room every morning would highly recommend this hotel aegean sea we loved our stay
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here in Mid April in 4 person room (2Adults, 2 children - 11 and 8).
Very warm and friendly staff but in no way intrusive. In fact the hotel has more of a guesthouse feel. Yiota was generous with her time and advice. She took washing into town to get done for us, helped with itineraries and was great with the children.
Location: Imergroveli is a good 20 -30 minute walk to Fira. We did the walk every day with 2 children without difficulty. The view is beautiful along the old cobble paths between the whitewashed buildings. If you don't want to walk, there is a bus stop about 5 mins away. In terms of places to eat, there are 2 nice places Atiund the corner. Lots of mini marts should you want to make some snacks. The view from the hotel is amazing. It is in an exposed spot so can be very windy although this applies to most of the area.
Rooms: Very clean. Comfortable beds with electric blankets should you need them. Flushable toilets and clean bathroom and shower. Need to turn on the hot water heater 20 mins before a shower. Heater for winter and air-conditioner for summer. Nice vibe- feels like home.
Breakfast is included with fresh orange juice and coffee made to order. We were always full afterwards.

We would stay here again

Date of stay: April 2013
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Picture yourself arriving at a freestanding doorway: It opens up to a breathtaking view of Indigo oceans kissing dark volcanic cliffs that cradle beautifiul white and blue curved abodes drenched in the Greek sunlight. Open your eyes. This is not a dream. This is Heliotopos.

Upon arrival, the stunning views literally brought tears to my eyes. We were greeted with a warm welcome and asked what drinks we desired. Greek wine, of course! They gave us an introduction to the view and the hotel, escorted personally to our two-level rooms to freshen up. After, they made wonderful suggestions on what we could do for the rest of the afternoon. With a cute hand-drawn map in hand, we walked to Fira during the sunset and had an amazing dinner at a restaurant they suggested (Ialways check suggestions on Tripadvisor). Heliotopos is meticulous with their customer service -- coordinated a car rental for the third day for some self touring and a way to the airport, suggested a restaurant within 10 minutes walking distance for the second night, delivered red wine and extra water on request, and Yiota checked us in to our departure flight and made two print outs of each pass that were needed at the local airport (something I would not have known). Breakfast was delicious - complete with eggs done upon request (I had perfectly poached eggs every morning), fresh meats, cheeses, spanakopita or similar warm featured dish, local olives and the local tomato spread (indigenous to the island) that I was addicted to. The best part was that the breakfast was set in a cave - I loved the quaint setting. The rooms were quaint and so absolutely lovely - the upper floors complete with a sitting area that opened to a perfect balcony (our room also had a kitchenette). I slept solidly on the comfy bed. The surprise of the trip was when we arrived at the airport with the car rental, the attendant gave us a laundry bag, "from Yiota." My husband had inadvertently left some shirts in the room as we quickly packed to leave. Heliotopos took the time to get the shirts to us! Amazing service.

Note that we went off season and still had amazing service. I really think they are listening to Tripadvisor suggestions and making the appropriate changes. They will continue to go up in ratings on Tripadvisor, I am sure.

Room tip: Rooms are slightly different. Some rooms have bed warmers, some have kitchenettes... you may want to contact the hotel if you have special needs.
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank luv2travel_whoohoo
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed in this Hotel in November 2011.

We decided to take a trip to Greece and of course wanted to experience the islands. It was near the end of tourist season, which is always a quiet time to travel.

The Heliotopos is in Imerovigli, which was a great hotel. We were given a room with 2 levels, one with a seating area, and then the bedroom downstairs. Check in was a breeze, and we were greeted with such a nice and relaxing attitude. This was a nice way to represent the island.

We decided to walk to Fira, which was a 30-40 minute walk. There is little signage, which made it confusing and not many people walking, so I would try to get better directions if doing this again.

Breakfast was good. I had Leek Pie for the first time ever and now crave it agian!

Overall we had a great stay and would go back. There is likely more to do in the summer, and it would be worth another visit to experience that.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel the first W/E in March and the staff was very helpful and friendly, but not intrusive. We felt as if we were staying at the home of a gracious host. Our room was comfortable and we LOVED the electric bed warmers, since it was still a bit cold during the time of our visit. It really felt at home. My daughter was not feeling well one evening and they brought some warm soup to the room for her. Breakfast was good and we were offered fresh eggs, they also went to the store for hot chocolate mix when we asked if they had it rather than saying no. I would choose this hotel for anytime of the year I have the opportunity to visit Santorini.

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank jakrovers
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were married at the Heliotopos in 2007 and were offered a free vow renewal if we returned to Santorini for our 5th anniversary.

We arrived at the hotel around 10 am after around 30 hours of travel. (We had a 15 hour layover in London and did some sightseeing) Our suite wasn't ready so early, so they gave us a different room to take a nap and had our room ready for us when we woke up.

We rented a scooter, which I highly recommend if you want to visit the beaches, ruins and wineries the island has to offer. One of the greatest memories of my life is riding on the back of a scooter with my new husband, on a cliff overlooking the caldera. Breathtaking.

Our wedding was lovely, and Lila took care to make sure everything was perfect. It was so nice to tell her a few preferences and have her create such an amazing event. Everything was just as I'd pictured it.

Our wedding was rained out (something Lila told us had never happened before) so we postponed until the next evening and the hotel arranged for us to have dinner in a local tavern in the hills. The owners there were great and fed us a four course dinner with wine on the hotel. Before this dinner, Lila took us to a winery on her own time to show us around and help us order a case to be shipped home.

The views all over Santorini are some of the most amazing in the world, but the Heliotopos really went above and beyond to make sure we were happy with our entire experience. They even delivered a breakfast tray to our room the night before our very early morning flight home so that we wouldn't be hungry during our travels.

Their breakfast was typical European continental. Cheese, meats, breads and spreads, cereals and yogurt. Some fresh squeezed orange juice, made from oranges that had just come in from Crete, and coffee. I found the Greek coffee to be a bit grainy and stuck with latte.

One thing to consider when traveling to Santorini is the buildings are made from cinder block. This means they are not water tight. If you find yourself caught in rain, expect to have some wet floors in your hotel room. We had some trouble with water, but the staff was quick to rush in to clean and look for a solution.

I hope to spend several anniversaries at Hotel Heliotopos!

Date of stay: May 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple