Finally posting this long overdue review!
My wife and I stayed here in August of 2013 for the last week of our honeymoon in Greece. Santorini was definitely the highlight of our trip and Astra Suites played a huge part. The hotel, like many buildings in Santorini, is built right into the side of the island (a large caldera). We stayed in a luxurious two-bedroom suite with a kitchenette and living room area. I'm hesitant to use the word "suite" because the room was unlike any other room I've ever stayed in. It was more like a large cavern built into the caldera. The front had a nice sized terrace with two sun lounges, an umbrella and a table. Most (if not all?) of the rooms in the hotel have their own private terrace.
One of the highlights of this hotel was the breakfast. You complete a form the night before and the next morning breakfast is delivered restaurant-style to your terrace. There was a varied menu options and the food was absolutely excellent. But the real treat is eating breakfast overlooking the caldera and Aegean sea as the sunrises each morning…simply unforgettable. The hotel also has its own open-air restaurant which we had a dinner at one night also excellent. The hotel pool is not large, but also has caldera views (it is an infinity pool) and the bar there makes some of the best cocktails you will ever have. It was never crowded and we were always able to grab two lounge chairs. And a huge shout out to the guys who carry your bags to and from your room down the steep steps. Be sure to bring a few extra Euros for these musclemen.
One thing to consider is the location of this hotel. It is almost directly in the middle of Santorini. You can easily walk to Firostefani for dinner. You can also walk to Fira but it is a bit of a longer walk. You can drive to Oia for a day of shopping and site seeing at one end of the island, or the beaches at the other end of the island. (We rented an ATV arranged through the hotel).
Finally, one of the real benefits of this hotel is the manager, George. George spent about 20 minutes with us during check-in, explaining the layout of the hotel and suggesting things to do in Santorini and restaurants. All of his recommendations were spot on and he was such a nice guy. You can tell that he really loves his island and enjoys sharing it with his guests.
Do not hesitate to book with Astra Suites - you will not regret it!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built at the highest point of Santorini’s steep cliffs at the legendary caldera, the Astra Suites complex enjoys the privilege of a magical panoramic view to the caldera and the immense Aegean Sea. It is the place where everything and everybody “conspire” to make you feel a VIP during your vacations. Twenty seven sumptuous Suites decorated in Cycladic style and 8 tempting suites with jacuzzi and private swimming pool welcome you to a hospitable environment where the discreet service of each individual guest is the complex’s basic instinct, and the protection of his private moments constitutes the staff’s basic priority. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Bookgreece.com, Travelocity, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Astra Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Astra Hotel Imerovigli
- Astra Apartments Hotel
- Astra Apartments Imerovigli
- Astra Apartments Santorini
- Astra Suites Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece