Went there with my fiancée for our "engagementmoon", and ended up in the honeymoon suite due to late booking - bummer. :) It was amazing. Staff is also amazing - very friendly and eager to help with anything, from carrying your luggage down (or up) the stairs to getting a cab to bringing you items from their extensive room service menu. We had free breakfast every morning delivered to our room (not sure if that's standard or part of a deal they were running). We miss it, a lot: a selection of scrambled eggs, omelets, cereals, yogurt, juices, etc, all of which were really really good. We took pictures for friends (and you! - see pics). The views from the room are, of course incredible, because, well, you're on a cliff and it's difficult to get a bad view from anywhere.
There are a few things you should know going to Santorini:
- The hotel areas are built on a cliff face.
- If you can't walk on stairs, don't go. There are many many many stairs. We're in good shape (Yoga twice a week) and got tired on the stairs from our room to reception.
- The honeymoon suite is at the bottom of the stairs.
- *Privacy is difficult to find*. (More on that below).
- The island is small - takes about 30-45 minutes to get from one end to the other. Imerovigli is in the middle. It's pretty and quiet. Oia is on the north(?) end of the island. It's the main tourist area. Go visit it, but only stay there if you like loud touristy areas.
The biggest (only?) complaints we heard there were about privacy. Zoning on Santorini may not be what you're used to: everything is (literally) built on top of each other. Hotels aren't separated from each other. You walk through Astra Suites to get to a hotel that's built next to/below it, for example. The rooms by the pool open into the pool area - directly. That means people by the pool can easily see into your room (people kept the windows covered). One room actually opens directly into the pool area; it's "balcony" is the pool. The staircases usually go past rooms, so if you're on your balcony, people will be walking by. Now, there's not a ton of people walking by, but it's by no means private. This is true everywhere on Santorini, not just Astra (Astra's one of the better places in regards to this in fact). Wherever you stay (Astra or elsewhere), make sure you look carefully at the pictures and reviews to get a good idea of how things are laid out in your room. The honeymoon suite we were in was one of the rare cases where it was mostly private: bottom of the hill so nobody was walking by, angled (and built) such that the inside was completely private, and on the balcony you mostly had privacy. Our room also had a jacuzzi on the (big) balcony, which was cleverly tucked under the stairs for maximum privacy without feeling claustrophobic. That said, we did have a neighbor for a day that didn't quite get the hang of Santorini privacy and was sitting on the edge of their wall. They figured out relatively quickly that we could see them, and vice versa, if they did that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built at the highest point of Santorini’s steep cliffs at the legendary caldera, the Astra Suites complex enjoys the privilege of a magical panoramic view to the caldera and the immense Aegean Sea. It is the place where everything and everybody “conspire” to make you feel a VIP during your vacations. Twenty seven sumptuous Suites decorated in Cycladic style and 8 tempting suites with jacuzzi and private swimming pool welcome you to a hospitable environment where the discreet service of each individual guest is the complex’s basic instinct, and the protection of his private moments constitutes the staff’s basic priority. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Astra Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Astra Hotel Imerovigli
- Astra Apartments Hotel
- Astra Apartments Imerovigli
- Astra Apartments Santorini
- Astra Suites Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece