“Astra suites”
Review of Astra Suites

Astra Suites
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Imerovigli
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have been very lucky through out my life to have travelled both for work ( I work in travel) and also for pleasure and as such have stayed in some amazing places around the world. Never though have I experienced what I would consider to be perfection until now. From the moment we met both Georges and we were shown to our room to the sad day we had to leave we have been waited on and had our every wish anticipated before we even thought about wanting it! The chefs cooked fabulous food which was delivered to our room by the lovely Christina or by the always on hand Costas in the restaurant.
Every night the view into the caldera amazed from our balcony and even a little rain didn't dampen our trip!
The rooms are very generous in size with lots of free space to spread out your stuff! The path to Fira and Oia walks right around the hotel and makes for very easy access to Fira ( wear ur runners though!) and walk both ways because you will see things on the return you missed on the way down. Be prepared for some achy legs cause you will walk a lot of ups and downs and steps!! The bus for the island stops close by and a local tour guide I met brings his clients to the church at the base of the hotel for sunset pics as he believes its the best view of it on the island..
One check out I was asked to name one thing I would change or add and honestly couldn't think of anything. From now onwards its going to be tough for any hotel to beat the standard the Astra has set!! So our thanks to George and the crew at Astra for their genuine hospitality, their friendship and for helping make our trip to santorini so unforgettable.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We are staying here May 15 to 19th. Was greeted with an upgrade from junior suite to superior. Night after night the little things made our trip a wonderful experience for my wife's 50th birthday celebration. First night because we arrived late we ate at hotel's restaurant from 9 - 11 PM. I swear we were last couple to leave restaurant and we ate several courses plus drank a bottle of home grown Santorinian grape wine. Service was great, presentation excellent and food was delicious. Each night we received something complimentary from the hotel's owners from a free bottle of wine when we arrived to champagne on our 2nd night w/chocolate desert to whatever they send on our 3rd night as I write this review. Only negative comment is there's no gym. But the walks up and down the cliffs will make up for any exercise you don't get. Plus bring VISA or MC cause they don't take AMX.

Room Tip: Book well in advance and travel in slow season like us in May. Although the weather could be iffy, i...
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This hotel was beyond anything we could have hoped for...the location and views were idyllic, the staff was incredibly welcoming and helpful every step of the way, and the food was amazing. Our stay was perfect from beginning to end, and we will definitely return at some point! Thanks George!!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Our stay at the Astra Suites was everything we could have hoped for and more. Our suite was beautiful and the amenities were fantastic (from the welcome flowers, fruit and wine, to the spa and champagne). The four days at Astra Suites definitely lived up to and surpassed our expectations. We have traveled all over the world and this hotel is truly one of the best we have experienced. The views from our terrace were unbelievably beautiful. On top of that you get to enjoy an excellently prepared breakfast delivered to your terrace each morning. The staff are wonderful and they were so kind and helpful in assisting us with plans and recommendations. We hope that we can return someday and definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an experience of a lifetime. Thanks to everyone at Astra Suites for making our Anniversary holiday such a great and memorable experience.

1  Thank AlDGator
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Amazing experience! From arrival to departure this hotel was exceptional in every way. The location has the best views of the caldera, the hike to the cliff right in front of the hotel is very special, the pool is so relaxing and the views are truly breathtaking. The staff is so nice and catering to your every need. We had great recommendations for restaurants, sightseeing, shopping and everything we needed. The breakfast is an experience of its own as it is served to your room every morning with delicious food so you will wake up happy every day. We had a really hard time leaving this amazing hotel, we would love to go back someday. Highly recommended in every way!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It was everything I thought it would be and more. There are not words to describe the view, it was simply breathtaking. Breakfast is included in the stay and was fantastic. You let the hotel know what time you'd like it delivered in the morning and they set it up on the balcony every morning. The menu consist of omelets, eggs, cereal, pastries, yogurt (best greek yogurt ever), fruit, etc.....The orange juice is simply the best I've EVER had. Tasted like they squeezed it straight from the orange into the glass. It was so good that my friend and I ordered 4 glasses of it every morning.

The rooms are spacious and perfectly appointed. The hotel staff went above and beyond to help you in any way you needed. Upon our arrival George told us about the island and suggested where we should visit, eat, etc... They arranged for us to rent a car one day and had it dropped off at the hotel. They also arranged for our sailing trip that was fantastic. We had the pool to ourselves most days along with it's friendly bartender Costa (2). The hotel restaurant was delicious and our waiter Costa (1), could not have been more informative or helpful. We felt like part of the hotel family by the end of our trip.

The location of the hotel was great. It has beautiful sunsets and is located just a 25 minute walk from Fira, the town where the cruise ships disembark and where all the shopping is located. Fira is packed with people every day, filled with restaurants and boutiques. It's great to visit but we were glad to have the serenity of the Astra, away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds.

Some side notes about visiting Santorini...
1. Leave your high heels and wedges behind, no need to pack them, the roads are cobblestone, rock and uneven concrete. My girlfriend and I are experts in walking in heeled shoes but there's no way you can wear them here. Pack a pair of sneakers for hiking and flats or flip flops for walking around town. Save the room in your luggage for all the shopping you'll be doing.
2. Everything is literally straight up or down and very steep, so be prepared to feel the burn in your muscles! The hardest job in the world must be to be a bellman here. These guys cart your luggage up and down 5-6 flights of stairs with a dolly to bring it to and from the hotel. I couldn't help thinking that my grandparents wouldn't be able to get around here or someone who is over weight or handicapped. My girlfriend and I are both in our late twenties and early thirties and both work-out daily. This took the wind out of us and I'm not embarrassed to say that we both had to stop a few times to catch our breath.
3. Arrange with the hotel for them to pick you up and drop you off at the airport. This made life so much easier.

I've already booked this hotel for next year and can't wait to go back. I highly recommend the Astra and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the rooms. They all have a tremendous view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank FozzysMom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I've never stayed in such a wonderful, luxurious place before. The view is just incredible, the suits have all the finishing touches and the staff are some of the friendliest, nicest people me and my husband have ever met.

They are more than accommodating, they will bend over backwards to ensure you have a great stay. On top of this, I can't imagine a better view in the whole island!

If you're looking for a place that looks like a postcard, this is the one. On top of this the service is 5 star-it's an incredible place and I hope we can make it back to stay at Astra in the future!

Room Tip: I think they'd all be wonderful here.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Imerovigli
Aenaon Villas
Aenaon Villas
#1 of 51 in Imerovigli
Santorini Princess
Santorini Princess
#7 of 51 in Imerovigli
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
Altana Traditional Houses and Suites
Anteliz Suites
Anteliz Suites
#3 of 81 in Fira
Rocabella Santorini Hotel & Spa

Been to Astra Suites? Share your experiences!