We stayed in Altana in July 2012 and it wasn't just a hotel for us it was an experience. Chris- one of the owners went out of his way to make sure we had the most memorable holiday in Santorini. When we arrived Chris sat with us and asked us what we wanted to see and do in Santorini and drew us a map with the best beaches, restaurants, sunset spots and vineyards. We had such an incredible time because he took the time to get to know us and sent us to spots he knew we would love.
As a hotel Altana is very individual and special. Each room has a wonderful story and the history is fasinating. The pool has the most amazing veiw and is one of the most beautful sunset spots. Altana exceeds your expectations with ever little touch. For example there is a buzzer at the pool if you need any drinks etc so when we ordered water I expected 2 bottles to arrive but an ice bucket arrived with a bottle of chilled water, two beautiful glasses with fresh lemon and some home made snacks fresh from the families farm that morning- which were delicious! Chris even designed us our own cocktails -the Hamilton and the Matthews so make sure you try them if you visit!
I can see why this hotel isn't for everyone if you like generic busy hotels but if you appreciate luxury in a setting full of character and a personal touch to service and hospitality then this hotel is for you!!
We had the most special time in Santorini and it was intirely down to Altana. I can't wait to go back!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This charming boutique hotel brings centuries-old style, history and hospitality luxuriously to life at the highest point of Santorini’s breathtaking volcanic Caldera, in Imerovigli. The restoration project of a Traditional Mansion owned by a family of generations of Captains that began in 1979 established Altana Hotel in 1983 as the first high standard guest house in the area of Imerovigli and certainly among the first on the Santorinian Caldera. This historical building complex dating back over a century, between 1779 and 1883 has been preserved, restored and renovated to meet the highest standards of modern luxury. The 6 apartments and 8 suites at Altana, each unique, blend traditional local architecture and aesthetics with modern amenities that tastefully cater for any true traveler's comfort. A unique sensitivity to detail and restored original objects revive the simple elegance of tradition and pay homage to the history of the mansion. A deeply personal service philosophy offers a unique hospitality experience in a setting surrounded by an endless horizon of blue in a bird’s eye view of the Santorinian Caldera, the Volcano, and the whole of the Southern Aegean Sea, including the neighboring islands. Enjoy a dip under the sun in the highest swimming pool on the island and feel free against the sea breeze. Lose your breath to the vibrant sunrises and mystical sunsets from your private veranda. Relax in your suite’s private Jacuzzi pool or rejuvenate your mind and body with a plethora of massage, yoga, chi-kung and beauty treatments. Enjoy homemade breakfast till noon or experiment with local homemade delicacies, sweets and wine-tasting at ‘Kafeneion’, our preserved cave-house bistro. Sample a world of gastronomy with our cooking lessons, gourmet degustation & private candle-lit dinner experiences, which incorporate our own organically grown produce straight from the volcanic soil of the Altana farm. Savor the atmosphere of relaxation and discovery that will inspire some of the most romantic and exciting moments of your life. Dive into the magic of something old and discover something new...welcome to Altana, let us immerse you into the magic of Santorini. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Altana Traditional Houses reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Altana Traditional Houses Hotel Imerovigli
- Altana Traditional Hotel
- Hotel Altana Traditional
- Altana Traditional Houses Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece