Christos and Marios, you guys are amazing. You made our trip.
Our stay in Santorini could have been much different. Our first trip to Greece, and our first stop was the Altana Traditional Suites, we didn't know what to expect. The trip up the hill on our way to Imerovigli took us through winding streets with more ATVs and scooters than we had ever seen; we passed by Fira, where the crowds and energy were just as overwhelming; and suddenly we stop at an unassuming pathway. A short walk through and we walk out to the most amazing view either of us had ever seen. Altana is perched atop the cliffs of Imerovigli, with an incredible view of the caldera, pictures really don't do it justice.
We stumbled down the steps to the "front desk" which is really more of a bar in the common room, where we were greeted by Christos. Christos and Marios were the most attentive and friendly hosts; it was like we were sitting in their living room every time we stopped in. Over the course of our stay we got to know them, and had some great conversations over drinks at their fantastic bar. They bring fruits and vegetables from their family farm, and we were treated to some amazing mixology from Marios while Christos whipped up a "snack" that turned into a feast of sandwiches, fresh vegetables, and a delicious dip.
The rooms we stayed in were both beautiful, and they upgraded us to the honeymoon suite after our first night (i challenge you to find a better view from a *shower* anywhere). Very tastefully decorated, and the views are just incredible. Under the guidance of Christos, we got an ATV and explored the island. He basically planned our trip for us, it was amazing! We would go down at breakfast and talk to him and Marios about what we were thinking for the day, and soak up their suggestions, then hit the road to fill our days as much as possible. We completely fell in love with Santorini, and Altana in particular, in no small part due to these two amazing hosts. I can't recommend this place enough, I'm shamelessly promoting it with everyone I know.
My only regret is that we didn't have more time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This charming boutique hotel brings centuries-old style, history and hospitality luxuriously to life at the highest point of Santorini’s breathtaking volcanic Caldera, in Imerovigli. The restoration project of a Traditional Mansion owned by a family of generations of Captains that began in 1979 established Altana Hotel in 1983 as the first high standard guest house in the area of Imerovigli and certainly among the first on the Santorinian Caldera. This historical building complex dating back over a century, between 1779 and 1883 has been preserved, restored and renovated to meet the highest standards of modern luxury. The 6 apartments and 8 suites at Altana, each unique, blend traditional local architecture and aesthetics with modern amenities that tastefully cater for any true traveler's comfort. A unique sensitivity to detail and restored original objects revive the simple elegance of tradition and pay homage to the history of the mansion. A deeply personal service philosophy offers a unique hospitality experience in a setting surrounded by an endless horizon of blue in a bird’s eye view of the Santorinian Caldera, the Volcano, and the whole of the Southern Aegean Sea, including the neighboring islands. Enjoy a dip under the sun in the highest swimming pool on the island and feel free against the sea breeze. Lose your breath to the vibrant sunrises and mystical sunsets from your private veranda. Relax in your suite’s private Jacuzzi pool or rejuvenate your mind and body with a plethora of massage, yoga, chi-kung and beauty treatments. Enjoy homemade breakfast till noon or experiment with local homemade delicacies, sweets and wine-tasting at ‘Kafeneion’, our preserved cave-house bistro. Sample a world of gastronomy with our cooking lessons, gourmet degustation & private candle-lit dinner experiences, which incorporate our own organically grown produce straight from the volcanic soil of the Altana farm. Savor the atmosphere of relaxation and discovery that will inspire some of the most romantic and exciting moments of your life. Dive into the magic of something old and discover something new...welcome to Altana, let us immerse you into the magic of Santorini. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your Altana Traditional Houses and Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Altana Traditional Houses Hotel Imerovigli
- Altana Traditional Hotel
- Hotel Altana Traditional
- Altana Traditional Houses And Suites Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece