“Brilliant honeymoon at Kapari”

Kapari Natural Resort
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Imerovigli
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I picked Santorini for our honeymoon and after a lot of searching and comparing on Trip Advisor we booked The Kapari and we couldn’t recommend enough. We had a warm welcome upon arrival, given a brief introduction to the area and hotel and then we learnt we had been upgraded to a suite (104) – which is stunning.

The Rooms
Our suite had cave style rooms with everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel, with kitchen, sitting area, dinning table and powerful shower. Everything was very comfortable, just right as well as being immaculately clean.
Outside our room there was a bench, perfect for an afternoon drink and snack as well as sun loungers. The main pool area is a bit small and there are guest rooms just metres away so it was nice to relax outside our room instead. There is also a fantastic Jacuzzi which looks out into the caldera – bliss.

Restaurant
The food is lovely at Kapari. There is a lot of choice at breakfast and the hot plates are particularly good as well as the selection of breads and pastries.
My husband and I never really have hotel snacks in the afternoon but after seeing some the dishes others were having we couldn’t resist. We found the snacks to be very reasonable and nice – highly recommended.
When we arrived we were told that 1800 in Oia was considered to be one of the best restaurants on the island and luckily we had also booked a table but the night before we went to the Kapari for special taster menu and I have to say it was far far better that 1800. Easily the best dinner we had on our honeymoon and we thoroughly enjoyed it, every dish was exquisite and beautiful, plus the combinations of ingredients were sensational.

The staff
One of the reasons why my husband and I loved The Kapari so much was due to the attentiveness of the staff. It is definitely the smallest hotel we’ve stayed in but we were never smothered. However with that said nothing is too much effort and every member of staff is eager to help. We can’t thank Antonis enough, we booked our stay with him and he was always on hand to give advice, book taxis etc. One morning we had a heart shaped cheesecake delivered which was such a lovely thought – and also very yummy!

The pool
As mentioned to pool is a bit small but is perfect for a quick dip and, being an infinity pool, is lovely to relax and look out across the Caldera. Many other hotels have pools which are on street level and therefore with people walking by can’t be as relaxing as the Kapari's. Also one thing for people considering The Grace, there is a footpath that is next to the main pool and whenever we walked by there seems to be an unfortunate smell of sewage – not sure if this would have been resolved but is surely very off-putting!

Other restaurants
It’s worth going to Oia just to see the stunning sunsets but also for 1800, very nice – although not as nice as the Kapari.
There is also a square near the Kapari with two restaurants, we went to the Alvari twice and was very nice. The tables outside are always reserved so is worth popping down to arrange this beforehand.
We also went to the Blue Note which has great views and the food was OK.

My husband and I also went on a half day cruise which we arranged through the Kapari and would definitely recommend this. We were picked up at 2.30pm and travelling to the south of Santorini and then went to the red beach and also hot springs. Also had a lovely BBQ and local wine but the views of the sunset were the best bit.
Just want to thank Antonis and his team for making our honeymoon so special and unforgettable, we loved every second of it and would recommend The Kapari to anyone.

2  Thank lou140

Reviewed June 12, 2012

After 12 years of hmmmm-ing and haaawing, we finally decided that Santorini had to be done this year. My wife did some research and found Kapari Nature Resort. We wanted a hotel that was cut like a cave into the hills, with curved white walls, and yet modern.

We were met by a Kapari rep at Thira airport and swiftly whisked to the hotel high up in the hills of Immerovigli. Walking down the steep steps to reception, we were greeted with breath-taking vista of the "caldera" down below us. The caldera was land many years ago, but after a volcanic eruption, the sea came sweeping in, making Santorini island the half moon shape that it is now. Kapari faces the caldera, offering a lovely vista anytime of the day. The caldera is also where cruise ships park and disgorge their passengers on their day trip visits to the island, and evening sunset cruises happen.

Our room was right at the bottom of the property, room 201, with our main door facing a public walkway that linked Immerovigli to Fira town [some 20-30 minutes walk away]. Despite this, privacy was maintained and noise kept at bay from the double thick glass, and shutters that kept out noise and prying eyes. The room was like a flat, with the ground floor housing a small kitchenette, lounge and TV area, walk in closet and the toilet. Up a steep flight of stairs is the bedroom with a King-sized bed wedged against the wall, and with a window overlooking the caldera down below. The bed is also a great place to view the sunset, snuggled under the sheets with your partner.

The room had white washed walls and floor, offering cool respite despite the dry heat from the outside. There is air-conditioning as well. The flat screen TV unit is state-of-the-art, offering some information on the hotel, the weather, and a limited number of TV stations. Most of the English-speaking stations are news-related. One will have to pay 10Euros [I think] for a 24 hour movie-access. But why would one do that when you have fantastic views right outside?

The toilet had a spacious rain-shower equipped shower, toilet and and long sink area. Toiletries are provided and replenished daily.

The room on the upper floor also has a door that opens out to the swimming pool area. My son tested the pool twice and both days the pool was ice-cold, despite the bright sunny day. One can still sit on the sun lounger to read and sun-tan though. The pool overlooks the caldera below offering a beautiful view throughout the day.

We ordered room service a couple of nights. The food came piping hot and still well plated, despite the journey from the kitchen 2 to 3 flights up. The food was delicious, needless to say. We had the home cut pasta with mushroom, fish and a burger in one meal. Another meal, we ordered from the all day snack menu. A quick word on this: don't expect too much. I stress 'snack'. For example, the tuna sandwich is a thin tuna cream with some veg in between some bread. Not mashed tuna as one would expect.

Breakfast at the Kapari Restaurant and wine bar was THE meal to head to the dining room for. There is a good spread of cured meats, cheese, and home-made sweet cakes, cookies and pastries to choose from buffet-style. There is also cereal and Greek yoghurt with mixed nuts and dried fruits, plus honey on the side. My wife enjoyed the Greek Yoghust, nuts and fruit every morning. You cannot get the same in the Athens!

Then, one can also order a hot breakfast of eggs, bacon and sausages. My son loved the sausages. They're these small largish-'cherry'-shaped sausages that pack a punch. Locally made, of course. Again, one cannot get this sausage in Athens.

One of the greatest assets of Kapari is the warmth and friendliness of the staff. We never really felt like hotel guests, but as a friend staying over. The servers at the restaurant were warm and genuine. At breakfast, Alexandria was always showing up with a freshly baked local pastry, cake or bread; begging us to try the local delicacies. She also brought our room service meals to our room in the evenings. The front office team also offered great advice on places to go, eat and see. Irini pointed us to Amoudii for great seafood, and the archaelogical site, Akrotiri.

We recommend Kapari to anyone who is headed to Santorini. The splendid views of the caldera, warmth of the staff, delicious breakfast and meals, and modern cave-dwelling rooms with all the comforts, make Kapari and splendid place to stay.

Room Tip: Our 2 storey dwelling with a sunset view from our bed was the best! {Room 201}
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jamie575
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I loved Kapari and Santorini. Having done a lot of research prior to our trip to Santorini and Greece, I wanted to share some notes on what I learned:

* On Santorini as a destination:

We were flying in from California and had only 1 week in Greece. We decided to spend 3 nights in Athens to see it and 4 nights in Santorini. In retrospect, we could have done Athens in 2 nights (1 full day) and spent an extra day in Santorini. There is so much to see and do on the island that one needs at least 3-4 days in oder to do some activities and also get some relaxing time at the resort / by the pool. We learned that the average stay in Santorini is about 4 nights because of the way flights work - there are only a few of them going to / leaving the island every day and for US connection flights, one has to spend a night in Athens on the way there and back. Some European destinations have a direct flight - we saw direct flights to Paris, Finland and London when we went to the airport. Most of tourists come to Santorini for the day in one of the cruise-ships (which is a big reason to avoid staying in Phira), while other islands like Mykonos I'm told see more chartered flights and longer stays - about a week at a time. In short, plan around your flights for a minimum of 4 nights if you want to enjoy the place - believe me, you won't want to leave! And also, get to the airport early. It's the smallest and most disorganized airport we have seen - an oversized bus station of sorts - serving large 3-4 flights at once with only 2 checkin lines per flight and one baggage checkin area for 500-600 people.

* On when to go:

I had to be in Europe at the end of May, so we tacked the week in Greece at the end of May. We had 3.5 days, of which 2 days were sunny and warm (in the low to mid 70's) and 1.5 days were freezing, windy and cloudy - it was still a gorgeous sight from the caldera with the most dramatic sky I'd ever seen, but I stayed on our porch wrapped in a bathrobe and two towels since I hadn't brought a jacket or a windbreaker. Our new Greek friends told us May is a crap shoot, while September is still warm but without the crowds that spill out on the island from the cruise ships. While we were there there in late May 2012, there were on average 1-2 cruise ships docked in the bay in front of Phira. We are told there are up to 7 cruise ships docked in Santorini in June-August. In May, we saw tens of buses and huge crowds in Phira and Oia, which are only several square miles in size. I don't even want to imagine what happens when 5-6 times that crowd descends on the island at the height of the summer.

* On where to stay - Oia(pronounced "Iya") vs. Imerovigli vs. Phira (sometimes written as Fira):

When I originally researched resorts in Santorini, I had a few criteria in mind - 1) nice rooms with caldera views and nice service, 2)pool (which in retrospect was not that important, especially in May when it can stil get a bit chilly. Plus, all the pools are really the size of large bathtubs given the real estate limitations), 3) price and 4) avoiding crowds. When looking at Oia the prices were insane - we have stayed at four star US resorts for cheaper than the lower end of the price range for pool hotels in Oia. After reading the reviews for Imerovigli and Kapari, we decided to book there. And were were so glad we did! Imerovigli is just as pretty and scenic as Oia and our most beautiful photos were from the area around our hotel. Imerovigli is also the eagle's nest of Santorini - it sits at the highest point and offers gorgeous sunset views with far fewer crowds than Oia, where we were told to go 1 hour before sunset so we could jostle for a "picture spot" in the crowds. Instead, we were able to enjoy a private sunset view of the caldera while sipping wine and head to dinner right after. Imerovigli is also a beautiful 15 min walk to Phira - and by walk, I mean you take a meandering path right through all the houses and resorts - but it's far enough away from Phira to not attract many walkers from the cruise ships. Most of the cruise tourists get dropped off in Phira or get bussed straight to Oia, which during the day feels like Disneyland.

About Oia - yes, it's pretty and cute, but we couldn't wait to get out of there an hour after we arrived and took some pictures. The crowds were insane - I felt I was in San Francisco's Pier 39. Because of the layout of the towns on the cliffs, all the hotels are on a sort of terrace with the main walk above them and some paths around and through the hotels. So imagine hundreds of tourists walking above you and taking pictures of your hotel with guests sun-tanning or hanging out. It feels like a visit to the zoo. The best part about the island is that you can rent an ATV for $40 / day and go see the whole island, top to bottom, in a day, stopping at each place for at least an hour. So you can visit Oia and the wineries and be at a beach in 20 min, without having to stay in Oia.

* On Kapari overall:

Kapari surpassed our expectations. My husband and I try to stay in a Four Seasons hotel, if there is one available. The service, restaurant and setting of Kapari were as high as those we have experienced at the Four Seasons, but with a more boutique feel.

* On Kapari's hotel setting:

It's amazing how much Kapari has managed to accomplish with so little real estate. Every single square inch is optimized. You will find that no matter where you stay on the island, the real estate is tiny and the hotels are right next to each other - you can walk from your room to a path, to anther hotel's entrance in less than 5 seconds. With that in mind, Kapari's design is functionally outstanding and aesthetically very pleasing. It even won an architectural award in Greece. We also lucked out that our room (we had a Vanilla room) had a private patio with chaise chairs. Other rooms seemed to offer a bit less privacy, opening to the pool or one of the paths. However, even with those, the setting is beautiful and you can see the thought put into each detail of the design.

* On Kapari's restaurant (open to guests and visitors):

Our first night we ate at the Blue Note, which is one of the Imerovigli touristy restaurants with sunset views written up in the guide books. We were disappointed. The food was mediocre, greasy and overpriced. The following night we tried Kapari's wine restaurant, which is a gorgeous small restaurant with white table cloths and a modern, impeccable design in a cave with a patio overlooking the caldera. We quickly made friends with Stelios and Alexandra, who were very knowledgeable about Santorini wines and food. We were able to order fresh fish and calamari for the next night - the chef procured the catch of the day from one of the few fishermen who takes his boat out in the early season. The chef got us the freshest seafood and designed some dishes for us - I had the whole fish, grilled to perfection, and my husband got the stuffed calamari, which he still can't stop talking about. To boot, we had a divine clam risotto, which was light and fluffy. Price-wise, the dinner was in line with the prices for fresh fish we saw in Oia and what you would pay in restaurants in the US. However the personal attention, custom dishes and the fresh delicious local food, paired with Santorini wines recommended by Stelios, made it worth every penny.

We came back to the restaurant for the rest of our trip, ordering fresh seafood with the chef the night before. We are told the restaurant starts putting an expanded menu with fresh fish in June, when more fishermen go out with the boats. But if you go in May, speak to Stelios and the chef and they will be happy to prepare some amazing seafood for you. Also, the restaurant serves amazing breakfast - they bake their goodies on the spot and their whole wheat croissants and fresh squeezed orange juice are to die for!

* On Kapari's service:

As I mentioned earlier, the service is world-class, on par with the highest end resorts. The people make it all happen - they are personable (without being overbearing), polite, professional and knowledgeable. We had them book a boat trip for us and the company they work with put us on a catamaran with just 6 other people. We had an amazing time and didn't realize how lucky we had been until we saw all the other boats with dozens and hundreds of people on them. The hotel also rented us an ATV - we picked it up at the hotel entrance after breakfast and dropped it off before dinner, much more convenient than going to a car rental place in Phira. We also experienced a short water stoppage in the morning. Adonis was very fast in figuring out that the local power plant had had an outage in the storm during the night and called us with updates on what they were doing to get the water pumps working again. The staff was on top of the issue and it was resolved within half an hour.

Finally, the quality of the service really came through when we were leaving. Our plane to Athens was leaving in the early afternoon. My husband, I and four other guests were waiting for a taxi to come pick us up. No taxi materialized for over 40 minutes. The hotel staff was calling the taxi company every 5 minutes and was told that the taxi "is on the way and will be there in 5 minutes". The island is not that big (it takes less than 20 min from Imerovigli to the airport), so we suspect the taxis were stringing us along, while picking up other fares on the way. Finally, it was getting close, and the hotel decided to load us all into a van, which they thankfully had nearby. As we were pulling out, the taxi finally showed up - he blocked our way in the tiny alley and refused to budge until he got some passengers. We were being held hostage, but thankfully our hotel guy was very forceful in arguing with the taxi driver and getting him to move out of our way. The van delivered us to the airport on time and the hotel employee wouldn't accept any payment for having saved us.

* On other hotels I saw in Imerovigli:

Just a quick note for those of you researching hotels in Imerovigli. Here's what I saw walking around and observing other hotels.

Grace - looks nice, had a bigger pool than most (the size of three oversized hottubs instead of one), and another bigger pool which looked private. One thing to be mindful there is that some of the rooms with hottubs on the lower levels, including their honeymoon suite, are right above the hiking path to go to the castle. Not many people take that path, but when we did, we were walking eye level with the hot-tubs of those rooms. The honeymoon suite was right in front of a gorgeous white church with yellow flowers, but that's also where people stop to take pictures. I would imagine some of the rooms higher up on the hotel terrace had more privacy than the ones straight on the path.

Other hotels which looked nice were Andromeda (gorgeous landscaping), Astra (has a beautiful private chapel with a patio), Infinite Bliss, all of which are on the lower parts of the terrace below the lower path. The only weird looking one was White, which had kitschy umbrellas which looked like while hoola skirts. As for us, we would come back to Kapari - for its beauty, design and for the friendly and excellent customer service.

10  Thank Friendly_explorer
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Kapari hotel is a luxurious hotel located in the highest place of kaldera in Santorini, at Imerovigli. You can have an absolute magnificant view of the volcano. The rooms are renovated and fully equiped. I chose a room with indoor jacuzzi. In front of the room there was the swimming pool. All the stuff was really friendly. And the restaurant was excellent with cuisine based on local products. Finally, there was a good balance between the price and the hotel's facilities. I suggest Kapari resort to anyone who wants luxurious vacation in a fantastic place like Santorini.

Room Tip: A good value for money for luxurious vacations.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Apo C
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The beauty of the Caldera at night, the wonderful people we met on the island and at the hotel, the long walks and the gourmet dinner back at the hotel made our stay unforgetable.

1  Thank kokkinou_maro
Reviewed May 25, 2012

If you are looking for a hotel with gorgeous design, delicious food, stunning views and friendly staff in an area that could make you believe you were in heaven; so quiet, but close enough to all the fantastic culture of the island then this is for you!
We can't put into words just how spectacular this hotel is. We are a young couple who wanted a romantic getaway and this was perfect! The staff become your friends by the end of your stay and they really pay attention to detail, we were greeted with local wine and fresh fruit, and often asked if there was anything else we wanted. It was summed up when we went to ask if it would be possible to book a boat trip, and we're told "anything is possible!"
The food is great, breakfast was so tasty with such a good variety we ended up not having to eat lunch we were so full! And although there are some lovely restaurants a short taxi ride away, we ended up eating in the hotel most nights as the food was Michelin star worthy!
Then there is the room...luxury is the only word to describe them! Very comfy beds, a great aircon and lighting system, the jacuzzi was lovely to come back to after a day in the sun also!
All in all, we will be returning to this hotel and we highly recommend going, you will not be disappointed!!

1  Thank Catherine S
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Breathtakingly beautiful, coupled with excellent service. Nothing was too much trouble. They were relaxed and their motto was to do anything to help you relax too. Gorgeous!! The best view in Santorini was outside our room overlooking the caldera with the plunge pool blending with the ocean and skyline. So beautiful I proposed to my partner and he said Yes. Kapari is where memories are made, Its exclusive and just perfect in my book!!!

Room Tip: The suite with the pool outside is terrific and it has a jacuzzi.
1  Thank Simone L