Well where to start! My new husband and I have just returned from Santorini after spending 7 nights there for our honeymoon. After much internet hunting and deciding whether to stay in Oia or not we chose Above Blue Suites in Imerovigli and we are so so so glad we did!
I'd looked at literally hundreds of reviews and checked the pics on their website so many times and I can honestly say it lived up and surpassed every expectation - and I am hard to please. We stayed in the Heaven Suite. The private balcony is quite small but perfectly formed and the view is literally the most amazing thing you have ever seen - and that's before the sun sets! We arrived to a bottle of bubbly just as the sun was setting and jumped straight it (see pics attached of our first night!). The room itself is very clean and nicely decorated. We found the laptop really useful as we could see all our wedding photos and say hi to family and friends to de-brief the wedding. The rooms are refreshed both morning and night and everything about it was luxurious. The breakfast choice is amazing and you can choose different items every day, served at your chosen time with fresh linen set up on your balcony every day - pure pure luxury it even feels naughty!
The staff we lovely, really helpful but polite and not snobby in any way. They looked after us really well but we never felt like they were in the way.
The location is actually brill too. We we worried we'd be stuck in the middle of nowhere. Its true to say there isn't anywhere you can roll in to so if you don't like a stroll then its not for you. But if you like to discover little Greek streets and explore all the little cobbled walk ways its only 10 mins to Firostefani, which we loved, and then on to Fira from there. Near enough to walk down there each day, and after a few pints and chicken gyro, a 5 euro taxi back up the hill.
We didn't really like Oia that much after all the hype, and were really glad that we visited rather than stayed there. It's too perfect and looks like a stage set rather than a traditional village, and its true to say it gets very busy at sunset and we were there off peak - although the sunset is definitely better from the middle of the crescent of the island at Fira or just in your hot tub at Above Blue Suites! As you can look at Oia in the distance but you get a central on view of the sun setting over the volcano in the middle.
There are lots of American cruise tourist and what seemed like college kids, and I'd imagine during summer when its at its busiest this could get annoying but in May it was quite quiet but busy enough to feel a atmosphere of holiday.
One thing we did have was quite a bit of wind. Don't know if we were unlucky but as the suites are so high the wind is amplified by 100% and some days we couldn't sit out on the balcony when down on the beach it was just a strong breeze, and unfortunately our sunset cruise was cancelled - but you can never rely on the weather I guess! When it was hot and sunny and clear it was really the most stunning place we've been.
We went travelling in 2007 and the stunning view as you arrive inside the caldera at the foot of the cliffs, can really be compared to how you feel when you first glimpse the Grand Canyon.
Anyway that's enough - Santorini is stunning, luxurious, different and somewhere we would definitely return and Above Blue is amazing, so if you are looking for somewhere to stay on Santorini STOP and book it now!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Above Blue Suites represents a new concept of sanctuary where ten suites perched in the highest point of the stiff cliffs, facing the endless blue of the Aegean Sea, combine harmonically the unique architecture of the famous Santorinian caves, with the sophisticated luxury and the particular decoration, offering generously a truly romantic atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Bookgreece.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Above Blue Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Above Blue Hotel Imerovigli
- Above Blue Suites Santorini/Imerovigli, Greece