Happy Cretan Suites
Renia Hotel Apartments(Agia Pelagia)(Great Value!)
$37
  • Pool
Nymphes Luxury Apartments(Agia Pelagia)(Great Value!)
$87
$81
Hotel Anatoli(Agia Pelagia)(Great Value!)
$65
Hotels.com
Perla Apartments(Agia Pelagia)(Great Value!)
$39
  • Pool
Spiros-Soula Family Hotel & Apartments(Agia Pelagia)(Great Value!)
$56
$42
Hostelworld.com
Sunday Life(Agia Pelagia)(Great Value!)
$40
$39
Belvedere Hotel Agia Pelagia(Agia Pelagia)(Great Value!)
$68
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Pela Mare Hotel(Agia Pelagia)
$62
$60
$221
$215
  • Breakfast included
$258
$250
  • Pool
All reviewsvaried breakfastpool areatough walkbeautiful small hotelbook roomsstayed longermodern roomsfelt like homelovely poolsun loungersa wonderful stayhotel is situatedhotel is greatsea viewfresh orange juicelunch and dinnercrete
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My wife and I and 5 year old daughter have just returned after a week at this lovely little hotel. Through my job I have been lucky enough to stay in some real top end luxury hotels but I have to say that I have not stayed anywhere that has been as friendly with such personal service as this little gem in Crete. The 3 main staff Dimitrios, Aspa and Maryam run the hotel brilliantly and nothing is too much trouble and everything is done with a smile. On our very first night we arrived very late at 11:30 pm to a very warm welcome and were offered a full meal from the restaurant which we very grateful for. A terrific start.

We booked a luxury room and these are very modern and stylish, we also had one night in a standard room and I would say that the luxury rooms are easily worth the difference. My only quibble was that we thought the balcony chairs were a little uncomfortable and we missed having a kettle (sad I know) but that aside the room was brilliant and kept spotlessly clean. All of them have stunning views.

The food is also excellent, we decided to book half board as we were not sure what restaurants were in the area and decided against a hire car. It took us by surprise that we were not given a menu to choose from with the half board option. It was as set 3 course each night but once I got used to the idea I actually enjoyed the surprise element and have to say the food was lovely, home cooked style and plentiful. I got to try some things I would not have otherwise have picked from a menu if left to my own devices and had we not fancied a particular dish they were happy to give us an alternative.

The pool area is lovely with amazing views, perfect for lazing the day away with a book. There are some lovely private loungers with curtains for shade. There were other children for my daughter to play and overall a real mix of ages and nationalities and the hotel manages to maintain it's air of tranquillity and relaxation.

We decided against a hire car because we had no intention of zooming around the island ourselves and wanted to stay local. I was a little concerned with previous comments that a car is essential to even get down to the beach and supermarket but am glad I ignored this and saved myself some money (thanks to one review).

If you are fit and enjoy your exercise then the walk down to Agia Pelagia is no trouble (20 minutes for us) - my 5 year old daughter managed it twice for goodness sake - sure you will get hot and sweaty but there is one of the best cold beers you've ever had waiting for you at the end and you will have earned it. We did not attempt the walk back up (we used our daughter as our excuse) - to be fair it would have been a killer but a taxi back to the hotel is only 6 Euros. By the way there is a lovely family restaurant called Georges half way down the hill if you need a drink stop. (recommend the food as well). There is also a supermarket 10 minutes walk away which is very reasonably priced and well stocked, the hotel drink prices can add up so I would suggest you stock up.

My wife and I both agreed that we would love to stay again at the Happy Cretan and make it a regular destination whereas normally we like to try new places and hotels every year. I can't give it a higher recommendation than that !

Room Tip: Go for a luxury room. They are well worth the extra money - all rooms have lovely views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank David B
Reviewed August 1, 2014

The staff was great, they helped us on renting a car, suggested places to visit, I would recommend it to everybody. The room was clean, beautiful, and the place is very very nice! Relaxing and well connected to Agia Pelagia (beaches, nice food, 10 mins) and Heraklion (20 mins). I suggest to rent a car as it allows you to be independent and visit all the local attractions.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MatteoFigus
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We were only planning on staying one night but we ended up using the Happy Cretan as a base for exploring Crete. We had booked one room but after seeing that we were a family with tall teenagers, very friendly host Dimitris gave us an extra room at no cost. Happy Cretan offers great water views, a filling breakfast, has a fantastic pool and is clean and modern. Supermarkets and restaurants are not really within walking distance but are only a few minutes drive. Happy Cretan is an easy 40 minute drive from Heraklion port and airport. There is great little beach called Psaromoura, only a couple of kms down the hill (turn left at the supermarket)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Jacrobbo
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We had booked a hotel apartment, but seems to be much more a Hotel. From the minute we arrived, the service provided and the hospitality was just fantastic. The host couple did a great job working 24hrs in this small cosy hotel.
The cleaning was good and the facilities was sufficient. really a place to relax and enjoy the Greek hospitality.

As mention cleaning was good, the pool was nice and well maintained, nice cosy sun-bed area, and the restaurant was of good standard.

All in all we enjoyed our time here and the value for money was outstanding

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Andreas K
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed for 8 days with my wife and kids and we all loved it. The one-bedroom-apartment was clean and modern but had some minor designer-flaws: no showercurtain or door made the bath easily wet, no overhead hanger for the showerhead made shampooing difficult and A/C only in the livingroom made privacy impossible on hot nights.
The pool and pooldeck was great with plenty of sunbeds/loungebeds with roof and curtains. The kids here swimming for hours and hours.
Breakfast was good with eggs and bacon, bread, various fruits, cereals, pastries, youghurt and honey and various beverages.
The view from the hotel is great and it was revitalizing just to sit on the veranda in the morning and soak in the view and tranquility.
Unless You are a happy hiker a car is a must-have here. The beaches and restaurants is a long walk away.
And finally the staff: they are incredible. Never seemed to rest, always taking care of the guests or cleaning or taking care of the hotel. And always a smile and a pleasant comment. The staff made our holiday that extra good.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family