“The worst five star ever!!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!”

CHC Athina Palace Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Agia Pelagia
“The worst five star ever!!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!”
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from my holiday and to be honest it is possibly the worst hotel I have ever been to!
Firstly this hotel is not even a three star and would advise people to read this review as I have never had to review a hotel before but this is shocking!
Good points: The hotel has most definitely got outstanding views which are amazing but that is about it!
Bad points: The hotel is on a hill and unless u are in the suites or rooms of the 700 hundreds then this would not effect you but this is not a family friendly or DISABILITY FRIENDLY hotel as the hill is very steep!
The rooms are so basic ...The air con is rubbish as I found myself opening the door in order to let some air inside! Bathrooms very small and not always cleaned to a five star standard!
On arrival to the hotel it was around 1:am when I checked in, the check in process although was very quick but was made to feel like I shouldn't be there. I was then handed the most AWFUL sandwiches I have ever seen bread stale and a funny smell! When check in was done I was instructed to follow this man where he would take me to my so called "room" on going outside the was the most awful white van with no air con and cable ties to hold the luggage door shut, I was told to sit inside to be taken to my room.
On going inside and expecting some water to be available in the fridge there wasn't so I rung to speak to the rude man on reception in which his words to me where " go wait on street Ur water will be there" so I did and on waiting on the bottom steps of my room the horrible white van arrives with some water.
All of the reception staff apart from the lady are very very rude and don't seem to have a clue what they are doing which is not expected from a five star resort! The food is nasty and no flavor at all!!!!! Eggs we not cooked and all u hear is when u are eating is smashed plates!!! I actually found eating chips all week was horrible!!
Let's start on the entertainment..!!! This hotel offers NO GOOD ENTERTAINMENT AT ALL!! The staff taking control of this have not got a clue what the word entertainment means! Do not use this hotel if u want to have a good time because with these guys in charge it's not going to happen!!! There's so much for me to say but if it wasn't for the English speaking people I met I would have not got through the week!!
On ending this review I would like to inform that the hotel has been open for twenty years and you can tell that the whole place is a mess as I was informed by reception that the electricity company have cut the electric!!! And went without for 15 mins..unacceptable!!!!!!!
This is no where near a five star I wouldn't even give it a three.... STAY CLEAR!!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank Sonia R
Fanny P, Guest Relations Manager at CHC Athina Palace Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Mrs. Sonia,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly value the opinions of our guests and we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. On our description is written that the hotel is built on a hillside and has lot of stairs. The hotel photos and mainly the photos of the guests can prove it. The rooms are renovated and if there is any technical issue, there is maintenance department to solve it. At arrival, because restaurant is closed we provide freshly made sandwiches. Reception tries always to help our guests with the best way and not by being rude. Concerning the food is daily fresh cooked with high quality of material raw and we offer a big variety on our buffets. Seven different theme nights are announced on the info restaurant board. About entertainment, we provide a light animation program for the evening and our area is a quiet place which cannot compare with the lot of noisy bars of Hersonissos and Malia. For the electricity there was a scheduled power cut down by the public electricity company and we had informed our guests for this issue one day in advance in four different points at the lobby area. Besides, there is also power generator which prevents total power cut. Priority for us is to serve with the best way our customers and in case there is any issue we can handle it, all you need is to trust us and let us know. If you come back in our hotel, then I would be very pleased if I had the opportunity to speak to you directly, so you can ask for me. Hope to welcome you again and wish you all the best.

Customer Service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Myself and my partner found this hotel online, pictures on the internet looked amazing!!, so therefore we booked the hotel straight away for a week, all inclusive in the middle of June. Needless to say the pictures are very, very different from the truth. We arrived very late due to delays etc, We were greeted by the one receptionist that was on duty, plus an extra man that had "propped" himself up against the reception desk, check in was quick and smooth. From here on it went downhill..Literally.
We were grunted at to get into this Minibus that has, to be honest, seen much better days, the side door doesn't shut and the driver had to shut the back door with what it looked like to be cable ties, he drove us half way down the hill, took our bags out of the boot and pointed to what seemed to be our room.
The room! - Does not look like that it did in the pictures, very basic, not 5* at all!!, the aircon failed to go the slightest bit cool, to the point that it was actually cooler outside than what it was in the room, we reported it to reception on a number of times but nothing was actually done about it. When we arrived there was no water in the room, we rung reception for them to bluntly say "check your fridge!!", when a matter of fact where was no water in the room. If we had our bank cards on us we would of checked out immediately and go somewhere else for the week!.
Half a mile walk up the hill to the main building where breakfast was served, the breakfast however was poor, very limited, not enough food to go around so it was like a free fall for who could get the food the quickest otherwise you were standing around for ages for the staff to bring out more, this seemed to be the same for lunch and dinner pretty much every day that we stayed there!,
The public area toilets were disgusting, I've actually seen cleaner toilets in train stations and service stations!, the shop staff were seen on multiple occasions to use the toilet and not wash their hands, so god knows if the hotel staff were doing the same!. Stray dogs and cats were around the area all the time, one dog even managed to be walking around inside the main building, staff didn't seem to be bothered by it. The hotel is clearly on a budget. The entertainment staff down at the main pool were told to turn the music off to "save money". Really!??!?!?!!

Our last morning at the hotel we woke up with having no electricity or (surprise surprise) no aircon in the room, we rung reception to find out what was going on and the man that answered the phone openly told us "the electricity company has cut us off", for a "5*" that is awful!!

Overall it is a hotel I would never go back to, unless they completely changed how it is, if your going to come to this hotel haggle down so you pay the bare minimum, its not worth the 5* prices that some travel companies are advertising.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else, don't waste your money.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kelly_91x
Dear Mrs. Kelly,

Thank you for your time to sharing your personal opinion and be sure that we will use it to improve our services. However we do apologize for not having met your wishes which have not been clearly expressed upon arrival. We are very proud of our high quality standards of 5* hotel, which embrace our housekeeping department concerning cleanliness and the food & restaurant section in our hotel. We are looking forward to having the opportunity to welcoming you again and exceed your expectations.

Rishon Lezion, Israel
Reviewed June 20, 2014

we stayed at Athina Palace for five days. the service was great, stunning view, the beach with clear and clean water, pools, great food and great variety. we had family room, the room was big and the shuttle service worked fine

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank rubi73
Leeds
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My husband and I traveled with friends last week and have been booked out to this hotel from the Sea Side Hotel for the first night.
I must say the first impression, was not bad, but only got worse as longer we were there.
We have been greeted by a loud and drunk group in the bar, the bar staff had no control what so ever. We could not even hear our own mind.
Bear in mind this was about midnight, as flight from UK was delayed and we arrived very late.
Our friends got big rooms with a lovely sea view, and my husband and I somewhere in the basement and what the man at reception called "sea view" - I would call "bin roof view" - room 728 or 729 something like that. Disgusting - I would not even pay a penny for this room.
We could not take a shower after the long travel, as there was no water in the whole hotel, plus all public toilets were blocked and overflowing.
Breakfast - very poor, nothing to choose from, nothing like Greek food, however there was a man serving champagne??? - what? for breakfast?
Honestly I was glad to leave this place, nowhere near 5*.
The only nice moment was when Janis and Emanuella from the bar came to speak to us, after they finished their shift. What a lovely couple, very nice and friendly people, very communicative and interactive, showed true passion towards their job.

Room Tip: Rooms a shabby, dirty and smelly, possibility of water shortage
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank renia_dyc
Fanny P, Guest Relations Manager at CHC Athina Palace Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Mrs. Renia
Concerning your overnight in our hotel we would like to reply to your issues. Regarding above mentioned room numbers they are Sea View rooms and situated close to the lobby area with less stairs compared to other rooms. The main bar opens at 17:30 and is reasonable like in any bar, that the guests can drink and have fun during the operational hours in combination with our animation team. About breakfast there is a big variety provided in our restaurant and we do not have any issues to not offer enough to our guests. Besides, I would like to express the satisfaction concerning the meals from the daily feedback which we get from our clients. Regarding the champagne, in our description is written, that every Sunday morning there is Branch from 08:00 till 10:00 with local champagne and salmon and guests are looking forward to it. We are sorry to have not fulfilled your expectations, even for this overnight, and we are sure that we offer our hospitality and service in the best way.
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Me and my husband stayed on May 23-25. We were celebrating our first wedding anniversary and travelled around Crete. Two days spend in CHC Palace resort were the best days we spent, everything was just perfect. Very helpful staff at the reception, very good food, with big selection and everyday changing menu. We even had a champagne in the morning! Room was fantastic (we had 238), with a balcony with garden of flowers and amazing view to the sea and a bit of land. When we arrive we also found a complimentary bottle of wine, it was such a nice surprise :) Bed was comfortable, clean, room was very spacious. Although it was many people in the hotel, it was quiet at night and we slept very well. It was so many thing to do: we played outdoors tennis, went to the beach, relax at different swimming pools. Even walking around through the tunnels of hotel apartments and flowers was so beautiful, because hotel is located on the hill, therefore you can see many different levels and find nice short cuts to the beach or bar. We really felt like in heaven and wish we could stayed more, but we had further plans. We would recommend this hotel to all our friends, and start saving money for the next time to arrive with all family, and show them that there are some beautiful places in the world, where you can find relaxation, activities, sun, warm sea and good people, that makes it all very special.

Kind Regards,
J & A Stroliai

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jolita S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2014

the hotel for the annual conference.
From the start I was really excited by the hotel’s location which is just amazing and the views are so beautiful! The rooms are nice, spacious and clean, all rooms have the balcony with the table and chairs. I like the food very much, the buffet was varied with many different types of the food for any choice and it has homemade taste. Lots of fantastic deserts and fruits! So yummy! 

There are always lots of troubles with a large amount of people, but all the hotel’s managers were very professional and helpful assisting with any request. They always tried to do their best to satisfy the guests and to help me in any situation.
Guest relations managers Anna and Fanny are always at your disposal to help and to sort out any problem in a nice manner. Ricardo was just extra- helpful and attentive to the details while organizing the conference rooms and corporate events! He also was able to manage any problem or request. Aris, the reservations manager did the amazing job trying to help me in any trouble to clear the details and to satisfy everyone. Of course many other people were there helping with all arrangements for the group, restaurant staff did fantastic job organizing coffee breaks and group’s final event. So, everything was clear and professionally.

I would like to come back to the hotel for my own holiday and highly recommend that for your stay as well. I want to say my special THANK YOU to all you, my friends!!  I hope to be back soon! All the best to all of you!

Natalia, London.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Harthill
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed here for a week in May for my Friends 25th Wedding Anniversary. There was 4 couples and our 5 year old Daughter. The Hotel is lovely, the rooms could do with a revamp. But the food and staff were amazing, especially George and Fanny. Fanny arranged a cake for us and booked the A La Carte restaurant for the night of our Friends anniversary. It was all great, they then let us use it again 2 days later for myself and my Husbands 3rd Anniversary. We would all highly recommend this Hotel and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We had the best view ever, the Hotel is built on a cliff.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Peninsula Resort & Spa
#6 of 29 in Agia Pelagia
Stella Palace Resort & Spa
Cretan Pearl Resort & Spa

Been to CHC Athina Palace Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!