“Pros and Cons of a Great Hotel”
Review of Berghotel Rehlegg

Berghotel Rehlegg
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ramsau
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I both loved and hated the Berghotel Rehlegg Hotel in Ramsau. In most categories, we loved the hotel and I would give it a “5” in just about everything, but the things we hated made our stay so unpleasant that I would give it a “1” or “O” in those categories. Hence my overall “3” rating for a superior hotel.

Pros: Located on a high mountain meadow overlooking the picturesque village of Ramsau, the hotel is one of the best we have ever visited in terms of views of and from the site. The reception and staff overall were professional, friendly and pleasant to be around. Our room was large, clean and upscale rustic, as was the entire hotel. Breakfast was top-notch, and the evening buffets had a good variety and were excellently prepared and delicious. The restaurant’s terrace, facing east, offered beautiful mountain views and was a great place not only for dinner, and also a pleasant place to while away hot summer afternoons in the shade and with a comfortable breeze. If only we could have spent the nights there instead of our room!

Cons: Unfortunately our three-night stay the first week in August was during a heat-wave that saw afternoon temperatures around 90 degrees F. In the mountains! The lack of AC made our room uncomfortable during the day and well into the night; not only did the room get very hot in the afternoon, the mattress was a heat-sink that stayed hot for hours after dark. Sleeping was difficult, to say the least. Another time of the year, and this would not be a problem, but I would never again consider staying there again in July or August. Fans in the rooms might help, but I did not think of this until after we checked out. They were not offered, so I don’t know if any are even available.

The other negative factor is the dangerous bathrooms. The deep tub lacks horizontal and vertical bars to help people get into and out of the tub without falling. Our room’s tub was the deepest I have ever seen in any hotel, so getting in and out is a tricky situation, at best. In addition, the hotel uses deer antler points as drawer pulls, which is fine as long as the points are sawed off or pointed inward. My wife was gouged on the leg by one that was pointing outward. Both problems could be easily fixed and should be. I have reported these problems to Best Western, but other patrons need to be aware of the problems as well as the good points of this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roy S
Franz L, Owner at Berghotel Rehlegg, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Autraveler9
Thank you for your comments on our hotel, and it is with dismay and concern that we hear that you could not enjoy your stay the way you should have.
During your stay we were experiencing temperatures all over Germany that we have not seen in more than a 100 years. As you mentioned, it was a full blown heat wave and temperatures during the days were almost 40th C°.
Had you asked at reception we could have provided you with a fan, but most of our guests just opened the balcony windows and doors since due to the surrounding mountains, the temperatures dropped down to comfortable 20 C° at around 22:00 – 22:30.
We are sorry that you were not offered a fan.
The reasons we have not and will not install air conditioning are simply environmental. There are usually no more than four to five days a year were an air conditioning system would make sense but the energy consumption if we had one would be enormous.
Concerning the deer antlers, these have been checked and where it was needed, adjusted or shortened. Thank you very much for that tip. You are right that was no big deal and it was changed immediately.
I have noted your request concerning the bath tubs and at present we are undecided whether or not we should act on your suggestion since not many people have had problems with them.
Again, we are sorry to hear your stay at the Rehlegg was not a pleasant one and sincerely apologise for that. It is a pity you did not contact us to let us know about your problems I am sure we could have worked something out.
Best regards
Franz Lichtmannegger
(Proprietor)

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and could have stayed for more. It was so wonderful. The pool, sauna, rooms, breakfast, staff and dinner.
I would so easily recommend it. You get a bus pass whixh is so easy to use and bus stop is just at the bottom of the driveway. Was a truly great relaxing and memorable stay.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Elizabeth B
Franz L, Owner at Berghotel Rehlegg, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Elisebeth,
thank you very much for your feedback at tripadvisor. We were happy, you enjoyed your with us. Hope to see you soon.
i.A. Silke Roßmann

Reviewed November 28, 2012

From the moment we walked through the doors to check in to the moment we checked out everything about the place was fantastic. Nestled in the Bavarian countryside this place is a gem. The views were stunning as was the room in which we stayed (check out the photos)
Woke up to the sound of silence every morning except for the quaint church in Ramsau which was great in it'self. If you can stay in the new part of the hotel belive you me you will not be disapointed one bit !
The staff were friendly and helpful and very polite in every aspect of the place and if you do stay here go to pool and have a swim the view as you do will stay in your mind forever.

So much to do in so little time and we are already planning our next trip to this wonderful place and plan to stay longer !

Thank you Franz and family a tue gem in the Alps

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vikingtraveler_12
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband I drove around Germany staying several different hotels, this was the most expensive but by far the best. We booked a room within the new part of the hotel and it was worth every extra penny, lovely. Prosecco at check in, excellent breakfast, either buffet or a la carte food for dinner, we chose a la carte, all excellent and wines too, lovely complimentary snacks mid afternoon, perfect location, stunning views, great walks,we found staff to be very friendly...we just didn't want to leave as 2 nigths were not enough. The only improvements I could suggest are tiny, the outdoor pool was freezing but it didn't really matter as I just then used the indoor one which was lovely and then the lack of certaintly re happy hour drinks. Great that they have one and one helpful barman gave us our choices at happy hour prices but another didn't and who cares the whole experience was so great that we didn't let it bother us at all. It was glorious and we will return.

Room Tip: If you stretch to it, book the new block, it's wow!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Really sad experience .. everything is in place to have a really wonderfull destination, a real charming hotel. The rooms are perfect, the surrounding is breath taking, the style and appearance of the whole place is really, really nice ! We actually left another place in south Germany (a perfect one,) to discover this one, which seemed to be in the same area of quality and interest.

But the staff is'nt "enough nice" for a four star hotel, there is a strange way to organize the half-board, like you pay for a suite for two adults and two kids, you add the half-board and you discover once at the table that you have to pay for the kids meals ! no logic at all !
Plus, they charge you also for the kids breakfast... nice start for the day :-(

But the real worst is that the pool was dirty, the spa wasn't working (only one sauna heated).
The water was'nt clear in the pool, we found mold around the access to the pool area and also the edges of the pool and water discharges. The only W.C in that area was'nt working during our stay, and the large windows suppose to give a nice vue on the surrounding was
really dirty !(see pictures).

Also the restaurant definately isn't a "four star" one ! The evening meals coming with the half-board was'nt that bad, but more on the "school canteen" category than "4 stars" !

The price is way too high for what you get, it's a pity because the place is really beautifull !!

PS: if there were a note only for the room, it would have been the maximum.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Emmanuel A
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I booked a room at this hotel with certain misgivings. Let me explain: on their website everything looked great but the fact that it belonged to the Best Western group made me a little uneasy as Best Western hotels are not exactly renowned for their high quality standards!! In spite of this I must say that from check-in onwards, my experience at this hotel was first class in all respects. I had booked a deluxe room and was assigned room 331, on the second floor of the Residenz building. The room was very spacious with a bathroom with separate WC and shower booths and a huge balcony with a spectacular view of the mountains. Breakfast was served in the main building and was quite comprehensive. Wifi is provided free of charge. The hotel also has a very well-equipped gym (with Life Fitness machines), a spa with an indoor swimming pool and an outdoor pool a sunbathing area. The only negative point is that the TV in the room only showed German language stations.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I only had a few days of holiday this year and when I saw the website of the Best Western plus hotel in Rehlegg, I decided that that was the place I wanted to spend my few precious days of holiday in. My husband and I and our kids drove a fully 6 hours to get there, but the minute we stepped in the door, we knew we had made mistake. Staff at the reception were not welcoming, the pool was dirty and unkempt, the food in the restaurant is definitely not haute cuisine, and they charge your kids for dinner and breakfast even if you have a half board deal. Basically, they try to make money on your back whenever possible and this was quite an unpleasant experience. The surrounding are exceptionally beautiful though and I guess they count on that to attract customers, but don't be fooled, you can get a better view, excellent food, and exceptional service elsewhere. I would not recommend this hotel also because the pool is so dirty, you will catch a bad disease in it. The spa was meant to be open from 11am-21h30, but they only opened at 3pm and wasn't even worth it because it was not clean either. All on all, no value for money here, just a hotel using its beautiful surroundings to exploit guests. I will go back to this region but definitely not to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank InfiniteTravellers
xaver4, Owner at Berghotel Rehlegg, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear Infinity Traveller

I am sorry, concerned and surprised you felt that you did not have a good experience during your recent stay at our hotel.

I apologise for the fact that you felt that you were not made to feel welcome once you arrived, and please be assured that this would represent the exception rather than the norm at our house.

Concerning the food. We are fully aware that the food we serve here is not "haute cuisine" and it is not intended to be and is not advertised to be either. Rather we offer wholesome, regional food and traditional Bavarian dishes. Once again, please allow me to apologise if our food did not meet with your expectations.

Moving on to our indoor pool. I am very surprised and once again extremely concerned to learn from you that you found the pool "dirty and unkempt", and have to say that this is defiantly not the case as we have stringent rules relating to the cleanliness of the pool and wellness areas.

In addition, the water quality is checked daily which is a legal requirement of our Health Officials here, so I can not accept in no uncertain terms your comments concerning contracting diseases as a result of swimming in our indoor pool. To support this, there have been no complaints ever of this nature, and certainly going back over the last forty years, no person has ever become ill as a result of swimming in our pool, and if there was to be any issue with the pool, it would be immediately closed.

Moving onto the point of children. Children who stay in the same room as their parents do so free of charge. We only raise a charge for breakfast and any other meal which they should have. It is our policy not to include children in with their parent's "half board" facility especially when the facility is only booked for the parents, and I am confident that you will find this as standard practice in most hotels.

We do take all constructive feedback comments seriously and value our guests. We also continually strive to improve our service which is in our best interest.

Finally, I offer my sincere apologies if we inadvertently failed you. The Rehlegg has evolved from a 17th century farmhouse into the Four Star hotel we proudly have today. It is simply not your average hotel, rather an individual and privately run family hotel steeped in history and tradition of which the vast majority of our guests like and appreciate.

Regards
Franz Lichtmannegger

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsau
Alm- & Wellnesshotel Alpenhof
Hotel-Gasthof Hindenburglinde
Alpenhotel Beslhof
Alpenhotel Beslhof
#4 of 6 in Ramsau

Been to Berghotel Rehlegg? Share your experiences!