“Great place to stay for the whole family!”

Hotel Franziskushoehe
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lohr am Main
Vista, California
“Great place to stay for the whole family!”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My husband, 2 daughters (12 & 14), and I stayed at the Hotel in early May. Before arriving, I had been communicating by email with the staff (I believe Stephanie was the woman I communicated with most), and they were extremely helpful not only in booking the room, but also in giving me information about the surrounding area.
My husband was traveling here for business, and the girls and I came along for leisure. Our internet service was a little lacking, as compared to a B&B we stayed in earlier in the week in Munich. For some reason, my phone was unable to connect to the wifi, which meant that I couldn't Skype my family in the US. That was a bummer. Luckily, we had bought a pre-paid phone in the airport, so we had that, but we originally had planned to Skype, so this was a disappointment.
The hotel is not in the city center. It took my girls and I about 25 minutes to walk to the center of town. There are a couple of grocery stores along the way. There is a bus stop at the bottom of the driveway to the hotel.
This hotel is on a hill overlooking the city, in the midst of a forest of trees. It is beautiful! There are several hiking trails from the hotel through the surrounding forest. It was very peaceful. There is a playground, and to our delight, a beach volleyball court. We also saw a game room and a kinder care area. The hotel info book stated that they have many toys available at your request. We only requested a volleyball.
We stayed in a family room, which had a master bedroom with a queen/double bed, desk, wardrobe, and a couple of chairs. The common area had another queen/double bed, bathroom, and a sitting area. It was very spacious and very clean. I think the only complaint would be that there is no air conditioning. We did not really need it while we were there, but it did get humid one day, and I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like if it was just slightly warmer with no a/c. Definitely check the weather before you go.
The restaurant onsite was so delicious! Every morning breakfast was offered with our stay, and it was wonderful! There was great variety and everything tasted delicious. The staff was very accomodating. The first morning there, we accidentally overslept, and the staff called us to let us know that breakfast would be over in about 15 minutes. When I told her that we had overslept and would not be able to make it down there, she offered to send up a variety of foods and drinks. It was very thoughtful.
We also had a chance to eat dinner at the restaurant a few times on the terrace, and it was delicious. Dominik, our waiter, was very helpful and attentive, like all the rest of the staff here.
There is a sauna on site and the hotel offers spa services here. The only issue I had was that I don't speak German and the woman who does the spa services doesn't speak English. I just assumed that since everyone else at the hotel spoke English, she would too, but that is not the case. This is just an observation, not a complaint.
The only thing that I think is missing at this hotel is a pool/spa. There was a sauna, a beach volleyball court, and a row of lounge chairs to sit in, but no pool.
Overall. this hotel was wonderful, and we would definitely stay here again. Everyone in our family loved it and felt comfortable here. The staff here is wonderful!

Room Tip: Rooms are large and quiet, but no A/C.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed June 10, 2011

really nice hotel for both business or leisure. Its on the hill that watches the town inside the forest. The rooms are huge and new. Everything is in its right place. Nothing to blame at all.

You should enjoy the terrace restaurant of the hotel. Nice food and very good atmosphere. Its peaceful and quiet.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Freiburg
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Just came back for a two night, three day conference trip at Hotel Franzikushoehe. This hotel is located within the forests of Lohr am Main. Receptionists were very friendly. The room, upon entry, felt like sauna because all the curtains were opened and there was no A/C in the room or the hotel as a whole. Cleanliness was overall good, however, I did find a crawling insect next to the bathroom but being in the forests and having the necessity of open windows to get some kind of air, I guess one can expect a couple of insects here and there. The bathroom was clean, however, the shower stall was too small. The hotel provides a shampoo dispenser which in my opinion brings down the quality of the hotel. I believe that 4 star hotels should, at least, provide you with separate bottles of shampoo / conditioner and not through an all-use liquid soap. We had dinner the first night as well as breakfast and lunch the folllowing days at the restaurant. The ambiance was quite nice with spectacular views of the city and the forests. However, the meal menus at lunch and dinner was very very poor in terms of quality and taste. Breakfast, on the contrary, was delicious and filling (buffet).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, however, I would say that it is definitely not a 4 star hotel and would say its a 2.5 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank NakaNiko
Ireland
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed at the Franziskushohe from the 5th August until the 9th August 2009. I booked a double room with breakfast on the hotels own website. On arrival at the hotel I presented my booking documents to the hotel receptionist. Strangely I was aked did I want to pay for the booking immediately. I have stayed at many hotels throughout the world and this was the first time I was ever asked this question. My nephew who was accompanying me however agreed to pay on arrival and the receptionist then asked for 420 euros.
I explained to the receptionist that the agreed price at the time of booking was 293 euros.The receptionist repeated that the charge was 420 euros. I then referred her to the booking documents which showed the price to be 293 euros. After further reference to the computer she finally accepted that the price was in fact 293 euros and apologised for calling up an incorrect booking. This was despite the fact of being provided with all the booking documentation.
Next day we went for breakfast and upon leaving the dining room the waitress asked me to sign a slip of paper. The document was written in German. I am not a German speaker and was unsure what I had signed. The following day however the waitress asked me to sign again. I immediately asked her what it was for and she explained that my booking didnt include breakfast and that I would have to pay separately for this service. I explained to her that my booking included breakfast.
The waitress then rang reception and reception told the waitress that I must pay for breakfast as my booking did not include breakfast. The waitress then said that I should go to reception and explain my position.
This I duly did. On duty was the same receptionist who had made a mess of my original booking.
I explained to her that my booking included breakfast she repeated that it did not. Once more I produced my documentation which showed that breakfast was included. Again after referring to the computer for a number of minutes she accepted that she had made another mistake and apologised for her actions.
Needless to say this Faulty Towers experiance has influenced my opinon of the hotel.
Other issues which potential customers should know is that the hotel is perched on a hilltop overlooking Lohr. For guests who have their own transport this does not present a problem. However for those who do not reaching the hotel is a major climb and would present major problems for the elderly or disabled.
The problem is compounded by the fact that the hotel provides no transport facilities, there exists no public bus service near the hotel and there is only one taxi in Lohr which must be pre-booked.
My advice. Avoid all the hassle and book in the centre of Lohr which is a wonderful town well worth visiting.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank dipso
Calabasas, CA
Reviewed September 20, 2007

I've had the pleasure of staying at the hotel twice...once in the winter and once in the summer. Both times were wonderful. It's a three star hotel with four star service...and a very, friendly staff. the rooms are modern, large, and comfortable. But the best part is the atmosphere of the hotel itself -- it's very warm and cozy and family-friendly. Yet, at the same time, it's got an upscale feel. This is best exemplified in the restaurant, which has a very warm, family-kitchen feel and lots of homey touches (there is even a mural that says, basically, welcome to mama's kitchen), but the food tastes, and is prepared, like an expensive restaurant. the first time I went was on business and I was alone. The second time I brought my family and my 12 year old daughter loved it. they have lots of activities for kids...which my wife and I certainly appreciated (the cooks and waiters quickly figured out my daughters favorite foods and catered to her like she owned the place). The hotel is perfectly located above the charming village of Lohr and has exceptional views. It also has access to a bunch of well-marked trails into the forest. There is an out-door terrace where they host bbqs, has the best views, and is a lovely setting to just relax. The town looks like it came out of a fairy tale...it's adorable. My wife and daughter also took daytrips to Wurburg and the outlet mall in Wertheim. I strongly recommend this romantic, idyllic and comfortable hotel for either a winter weekend or a summer getaway.

• Liked — The location and the warm, friendly atmosphere.
  • Disliked — the restaurant closes in the afternoon.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lohr am Main
#1 of 1 in Niedernberg
Romantik Hotel Neumuehle
Romantik Hotel Neumuehle
#1 of 1 in Wartmannsroth

Been to Hotel Franziskushoehe? Share your experiences!