“Excellent weekend Getaway!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Muellheim
Washington DC
“Excellent weekend Getaway!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2008

A German colleague of mine suggested a weekend getaway (I was traveling in Suisse at the time) in Freiburg, Germany. However, when I went to find a hotel, all of them were booked in the city because of a some festival. My colleague then suggested that I try a nice hotel in a small town called Mullheim outside of Freiburg. After a long train ride to Mullheim, my friends and I called the Alte Poste from the Mullheim baden train station, and they offered to send a taxi cab over. You can also walk to the hotel from the station if you are traveling light; it's about a 10 minute walk. The taxi picked my party up and dropped us off at the Alte Poste. The hotel ended up picking up the fare too which was very nice. The outside of the Alte Poste was nice and very suburb/country like in appearance. When we entered, the very friendly/helpful desk clerk treated us to a glass of wine from the area wineries. The hotel lobby area had a very at-home like atmosphere. We were quickly checked in and shown to our rooms. I managed to get the "Zielberg" room which was large and roomy for two people. There was a TV, king size bed, sofa, desk, and bath. One of my friends got a single with bath which was smaller but still roomy for 1 and it had a nice balcony area. We opted to have the hotel include a dinner package with our stay at its in house restaurant and it was excellent. We had 3 course meal with a four course service of wine (again from the area wineries). The hotel does include a continental breakfast in the morning that has fresh breads, cold cuts, cereals, cheeses, fresh squeezed juices, and coffee. The hotel does have WiFi for a daily fee but also has free use of a community pc that is connected to the internet for free by the front desk. The center of Mulheim is about a 10 minute walk were you will find several pubs and a few restaurants. Just nearby is also a nice department store which sells clothing, electronics, food, beverages. All in all an excellent weekend getaway and I will definitely return.

• Liked — The friendly staff, excellent service, and great food and wine
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Stacy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2006

I cannot praise this lovely hotel highly enough. Booking was straightforward, arrival greeted by warm welcome and glass of wine. We stayed in the holiday flat on the top floor which has two double rooms, 1 single room and a sofabed. There is a large kitchen/living area and enormous bathroom.-perfect for two families travelling with children. Spacious high ceilinged rooms,white walls, artworks, books & poetry give it a quirky leftbank feel. Beds the most comfortable I've ever slept in and everywhere pristine. We were looked after so well-nothing too much trouble-despite fact that on second night there was a wedding reception. Felt we were the only guests such was the service. We ate superb food in the restaurant where charming staff were on hand to help decipher local menu. I have special praise for Katherina Ruser who not only patiently guided us through driving rain to the hotel (it was dark and disorientating by the time we arrived at Mullheim) but who kindly returned my specs that I'd left behind. An absolute joy!

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The views are mainly of pretty courtyard
  • Tips/Secrets — Travel with friends/family and stay in the top floor flat
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muellheim
Hotel Garni Schacherer
#1 of 2 in Heitersheim
Hotel Neuenfels
Hotel Neuenfels
#1 of 23 in Badenweiler

Been to Alte Post? Share your experiences!