“Beautiful place, the kindest staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau de Mazan

Chateau de Mazan
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mazan
Girona, Spain
“Beautiful place, the kindest staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

We've spent a few days in Chateau de Mazan, and we've had a really pleasant stay. Fantastic swimming pool, nice terrace, very comfortable rooms. Very quiet and wonderful place, where you can relax. Comfortable, nice, and a very helpful and kind staff. We've had an incident during our stay, and I can say everybody were trying to help us (and they really helped us). In addition, and despite of this incident we could spend nice moments, and we enjoyed the place at all time. Thanks Frédéric & team! Excellent!!

Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

we were shown to a room across the road from the main hotel which was large but dark with no view and a terrace also with no view. we asked to move and after a long discussion (not involving us) we were offered a smaller room in the main hotel at the same rate as it had the view but was smaller. our room was furnished in a very odd manner. for example, there was one bedside table only so I found a chair in the hall and brought it in and put it by my side of the bed. the clothes cupboard heated our clothes as it had a fridge in it. the whole room was quite dark and somewhat depressing as were the corridors in the hotel which can only be described as weirdly decorated. there a posters on the walls and very strange displays and assortments of furniture. the gardens look as if they were once well kept but they have now been left without much care. although there are menus by the pool, we only once (in our 4 days at the hotel) saw a waiter offering drinks. the chairs by the pool are covered with leaves at times and never cleaned. the hotel looks as if it was once very grand, but one has the feeling that these days there is not much care for the place. we asked for tea and toast one afternoon and the response from the receptionist was 'no'.....but a few minutes later, tea and a biscuit was provided. the food in the restaurant was good-we dined there one evening and the terrace is lovely

Room Tip: dont stay across the road!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We went on a two week tour de France. I was so excited about this hotel because the website looks so lovely, and so I decided to splurge a bit. I thought that at a "nice" hotel like this the charm room would be sufficient for my boyfriend and I to enjoy a romantic evening. I was very, very wrong.
When we arrived, my boyfriend went to park the car and I went to check in. I was shown to a room and the front desk person helped me with my luggage (there is no bell person or valet). When I entered the room I was so totally shocked by the CLOSET (tiny, dark, no view) in which I found myself that I just sat on the bed and waited for my boyfriend to come save me and tell me it wasn't that bad. BUT IT WAS THAT BAD. Immediately he told me that we could leave, or he would see if other rooms were available. There were only two rooms available - one for 400 euro and the other for around 200 euro. I refused to pay 400 euro so we looked at the other one (a third level room).
The room was nice enough so we decided to take it and the hotel split the difference with us. I would have been happy with the room if it was what I originally booked and paid for, but the fact that the "acceptable" level room was a third level room is very disturbing. Even more disturbing is that the following morning when we were checking out we had the opportunity to peek in many of the other rooms. It appears that there are MANY closets (first level, charm rooms) in the hotel, and the other rooms are quite awful as well. I have to admit that I think that we got the best room in the place, and it was not a suite. The suites looked awful.... CERTAINLY NOT worth the asked rate.
Then there was dinner. We were there for a three course foie gras dinner. My boyfriend LOVES foie gras and I am trained as a chef and quite adventurous when it comes to food. The food was lousy. Just bad.
The whole experience was terribly disappointing.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here. And if you do, spend the money and get one of the more expensive rooms. Ot...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank WhitsEnd2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Spacious, comfortable room. Large bath with shower and tub. Interesting artwork and decor. Very friendly staff. Neat little bar. Enjoyed a terrifiic meal al fresco. Nice pool. Great location. Strong wifi, a first our entire 10 days in the region. Enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Odense, Fyn, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We found the hotel through Alistair Sawday's web page. Once again, he did not let us down! Chateau de Mazan is a lovely chateau situated in Mazan, a village which in itself is nothing particular, but very well situated for trips to other nice villages and cities in the neighbourhood. We went to Avignon, L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, Gordes, Roussillon, Venasque - villages which can all be recommended. Chateau de Mazan is beautifully decorated with both funny and very pitoresque antiques all over the hotel. I wanted to bring a lot of the antiques with me back home. Our room was a superior room in the main building with view to the garden and pool and it was very good. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and plentyful, and the outdoor terrasse, where most of the meals took place, very beautiful and popular both in the mornings and in evenings.The pool area first class in a relaxed way. The chateau is highly recommendable.

Room Tip: I would not chose a room with terrasse, because it is too hot to fully enjoy it. If you want to be...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

My family and I spent two wonderful days at this very charming and beautiful hotel. Very nice spacious rooms with modern bathrooms. Wonderful breakfast in a beatiful courtyard setting. We were traveling through central France and stopped at several towns and hotels on our way to Niece. This was the most wonderful of all our stays. We are planning on coming back next with a much longer stay in mind. The staff is truly friendly, courteous and accomodating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We enjoyed our second visit to Chateau Mazan this year as much as our first. First rate service from reception staff and the delightful maître d'hotel. The manager was also very helpful with advice on the region and directions. The rooms were beautifully appointed and we appreciated the space in our room in the residence on our second visit. The pool was lovely and refreshing after a day of sighteeing and we enjoyed our dinner and breakfasts on the terrace. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mazan
Hotel Crillon le Brave
Le Mas des Herbes Blanches
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
#1 of 10 in Le Pontet

Been to Chateau de Mazan? Share your experiences!