“Great location & lovely hotel (with some reservations)”

Hotel Le Cheval Blanc
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Langres
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great location & lovely hotel (with some reservations)”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I enjoyed staying at this hotel, although we stayed in the annexe opposite the main hotel. The hotel itself has a lot of character but the rooms in the annexe have little and the room was very warm which didn't aid a good nights sleep. It also seemed that the staff quarters were on the upper floor of the annexe so there were comings and goings late at night and again early in the morning.

The restaurant was excellent, although quite expensive. Secure car parking was provided for only 3.50 Euros.

I would definitely return to the hotel, but only if I could stay in the main building. The town itself is wonderful and the hotel is placed right in the centre of town.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mapmanish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 13, 2010

The town of Langres is just lovely. Beautiful sand stone buildings, the town is located on a hilltop overlooking the lush countryside. On our way back north we stayed here for one night. Langres is also conveniently located for drivers, just off the "route du soleil".

When we booked the hotel by phone a few days in advance the owner wanted to know if we would make diner reservations before he wanted to confirm he did have a vacancy. He was very pushy. After booking the hotel we looked on Trip advisor and found so many unfavorable reviews of the restaurant and recommendations to eat elsewhere that we decided not to have dinner in the Cheval Blanc.

On arival we found a lovely looking building. The hotel is in an old abby. Our room, nr. 7, was probably one of the recently refurbished rooms. Absolutely charming room. Spacious, two queen beds, a new flat screen tv. The refurbishing was done respecting the old stone features of the building, very tasteful. The bathroom was also spacious, had a good shower and a bath. The room was certainlly worth it's price. We did find it disappointing that the WiFi was not complimentary, you had to go down to the front desk and pay a fee to get the log in code.

The owner greeted us very friendly when we arrived, all smiles. Our car was parked for us in the garage (fee), all very pleasant. However, when we said we changed our minds about the restaurant and would eat in town he became seriously angry. He snarled that he had given us one of his best rooms, that he was very upset that we would not have dinner in the restaurant, that it was out of order. He made us very uncomfortable.

As we ate in town I cannot comment on the restaurant of the Cheval Blanc. I did see the menu and it certainly looked quite expensive but perhaps it is worth it, I would not know. In the guest book I did read favorable comments about the restaurant. Breakfast the next morning was very good quality. Koffie/tea served at our table, good range and quality of breakfast foods.

At checkout we saw the owner again who was courteous like the night before never happend..... We paid €126 for B&B and car parking.

All in all I am glad we stayed here, this is a good choice.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We stayed here as a stop off en route to the Eurostar and were hoping for the lovely hotel that was described on their website. Instead we were met with surly reception staff who grunted at us when we arrived, a hotel room that looked like the Holiday Inn with a hangover, and an awful meal at their overpriced, pretentious restaurant (which incidentally has the worst early-nineties abstract art that I've seen in a long time!)

This place aspires to be sophisticated but instead you feel like Basil Fawlty might pop around the corner at any point. Avoid!

2 Thank yly1234
Oxford
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The rooms were very clean and newly decorated, if a little small and lacking in character. But I would avoid eating in the overpriced restaurant. I should have heeded the advice from other reviewers on here and eaten in the town.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I would agree with the other reviewers who found this hotel pretentious and overpriced. Used this as a stop over returning to the UK from the south. The meal was the worst I had over a 3 week holiday in france while being amongst one of the most expensive. The service was nothing short of terrible, while I was nothing but polite and smiley, i received only moody faces and poorly masked contempt. The room was ok, in a holiday inn kind of way. However I only managed about half an hour sleep due to the noise in the street (I'm used to living in noisy central London). Oh and I got two insect bites.
Having a house in france I spend a fair amount of time a year here. I will not be returning to this dive!
Just think of it like this. I am a positive chap. I have stayed in many hotels, I have never felt the need to write a bad review about any of them here. So in a way this hotel is exceptional. Avoid, avoid, avoid!!!

1 Thank Oneofathousand
Lancashire
Reviewed July 14, 2010

This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel. The rooms are superb, well furnished with comfortable beds and well appointed bathrooms. The restaurant has an interesting choice of menus, none of which are particularly cheap but offer an interesting experience. Cheaper meals can be obtained in the many eating establishments in the town. The staff were very helpful and as we were on a motorcycle, the secure parking was appreciated. Recommended.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We didn't experience the restaurant preferring to eat out in one of the many eating places in the lovely squares on Langres. This is a splendid walled city with great walks along the ramparts looking down into the valleys below. Our room has had a recent contemporary make-over which had been done sympathetically and to a very high standard. It was the first hotel room we have ever stayed in (and that has been many) which had a separate WC from the bathroom. We found the staff generally friendly and eager to please. Even though our room faced onto the street and above the restaurant kitchen, it was quiet even with the windows open on a very hot night.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langres
Hotel Inn Design Resto Novo Langres
Ibis Styles Chaumont Centre Gare
Hotel du Lac
Hotel du Lac
#1 of 1 in Villegusien-le-Lac

Been to Hotel Le Cheval Blanc? Share your experiences!