“Best Place to stay in SOZOPOL!”

Martinez ApartHotel
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Sozopol
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Best Place to stay in SOZOPOL!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hotel Martinez was such a lovely hotel that we mostly stayed in our room and ate at the hotel restaurant during most of our visit even though there were plenty of local options to dine at. The hotel is located near the beach just a 2 minute walk and about a 10 minute walk to Old Town. We were there for 6 days from Tuesday through Sunday. The Swimming pool is breathtaking and my massage was super relaxing! The entire staff was so helpful and attentive to our every need. You can exchange currency in the Lobby and the hotel offers a fitness facility, a ping pong table, a beautiful garden, complimentary breakfast buffet, and free Wi-Fi throughout the property! Although our first night of arrival we arrived late and the air condition was turned off for the entire property so they had to accommodate us by giving us 2 electric fans for free during our entire visit even though the weather was nice we were able to enjoy our room and temperature. Once the Air conditioner was turned on the place was perfect! We drove all the way from Skopje Macedonia across the border through Sofia and Burgas to get to Sozopol and parking was easy and safe although limited. Most of the staff spoke good English but I did my best to communicate in Bulgarian out of respect. We experienced an Amazing Horse and Carriage ride that took us around Sozopol for 30 min that only cost 50 Leva and saw an archaeological site next to the Church in Old Town. I highly recommend that you find this Amazing authentic Bulgarian restaurant called "KopcapHTe" in English I believe its pronounced "Korsarnte" but the Black Flag sign in front of the restaurant has a symbol of a white Skull wearing a white Chef hat with a knife and fork crossing like an X with words reading "Corsairs Kopcapute" which I believe is located on Ribarska Street next to #16 in Old Town near the water boats. Delicious authentic Bulgarian food! We will definitely return to visit and stay at Hotel Martinez again. We hope to get the same room which was Room #202 in Block #3 located directly above the restaurant overlooking the pool and lobby area.

Room Tip: Room #202 Bock #3 is located directly above the restaurant overlooking the pool and lobby area on th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Michelle L

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here two years ago and enjoyed it so much that when I decided to go back to Sozopol, I had no hesitation in booking this hotel. Last time we went at the end of May / beginning of June. We found out that the 'season' only really gets underway in June, so went for a week on the 10th June. The hotel is spotlessly clean, the rooms are really spacious, and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. On arrival, they offered us an upgrade to a one bedroom apartment [from a superior studio] at no extra cost, but the room didn't have a balcony which we particularly wanted. They soon switched us to another room on the 4th floor, which was brilliant. Obviously newly refurbished, plenty of hot water, lots of storage space, and very clean. Pool area is good, with plenty of beds available. Breakfast was more than adequate, with a wide choice, although maybe not always to western european standards.Couldn't fault it. The hotel also has pool towels for a small deposit, which isn't mentioned on the website.The only small criticism I have is that the animation team played loud music round the pool at times. Whereas I don't mind music, I think the loudness is not to everyone's liking.
The hotel is just across the promenade from the beautiful and extensive beach, where there are hundreds of sunbeds for hire. Plenty of bars, restaurants, shops and stalls to see. The 'old' town is a short walk away, and is fascinating with plenty of history. Narrow cobbled streets with quaint buildings and alleyways to explore. A good sized supermarket is over the road from the front of the hotel, just 2 minutes walk away. Tip, - a nice,very small family run bar is on the corner on the way back to the hotel which is a handy watering hole.
Going to Sozopol feels like you are abroad. Last time and this, we only met 1 other English couple in a whole week. The local people are friendly, and all speak a smattering of English so it is easy to get by. Also the menus are in English. The best restaurants are mainly in the old town, but they are all recommended, and the prices are cheap, and the portion sizes not for the faint hearted ! No hesitation in recommending this hotel, which is one of the best I have stayed in and I go away about 6 times a year. So I don't understand some of the previous comments.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool are probably more sheltered if there is a wind blowing.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tim N
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Visited the Martinez with two friends of mine and stayed for a couple of days. Can't say I'm impressed but I'm not let down neither.
The first impression is "immense". The scales are big, I am used to see small pools, small rooms and small hotels in general in Bulgaria, but Martinez is different. I felt very comfortable and cozy in Martinez, as the rooms were pretty spacious.
Also, service was good, no remarks with that, and the food was delicious.
I would personally recommend the hotel to couples and families with children, as we, the group of friends, were a little bored, but the season just starts in the beginning of June.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank ferzz
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel late at night slightly out of the busy season. The first apartment we were offered smelled of cigarettes, so we asked for another one. Once we got it we were pleased with the size of the apartment and the view from the terraces. Obviously it has a potential for a 4 star hotel, however the bed linen and pillow cases were not changed from the previous customers....there were hairs and they were obviously scrambled and not washed and ironed.

The worst experience, however came upon leaving of the hotel, when we were kept as hostages for the cleaning lady to check for missing....linen and towels. And once she didnt see a towel left on the terrace of the room, the receptionist was quick to make a face and say that a precious towel was missing. Upon its discovery she didnt even apologise. Neither they did so before that upon my complaint regarding the dirty linen.

The major problem seems to be the lack of experience and real desire to work of the personnel. Maybe it is better throughout the season though.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Georgi M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Was at the hotel the last September with the family. We stayed for ten days and everybody was very pleased. Came here to review the other hotels in this area but found nothing special so we're probably gonna spend a week or so at the Martinez this year too.

The pool is nice, kids loved the children's pool too. Havent tried the indoor pool, tho, and the gym too. However, the food was excellent - breakfast, lunch, dinner, was simply perfect. Also I loved the pool room, the tables are like new. Animation was ok, kids loved it, especially playing sports in the garden.

The rooms are very spacious, beds are comfortable. We were surprised to have such a nice kitchen, one can cook a decent meal there, if needed. The telly could use more channels, but theres plenty of stuff to do outside the room.

Service was friendly, all the staff is very nice to you. However, the room wasn't cleaned as thoroughly as when you left a coin for the maids. Also, forgot to mention the beach, you literally walk out of the garden and you step onto the beach, me and my wife loved this.

Room Tip: The pool facing rooms have a lovely view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cjharrier
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have to start this review by saying, we are well travelled in Bulgaria and one of us being Bulgarian the other English just to give the reader a reasonable expectation we usually stay at what we think are good quality hotels and were satisfied when we booked this one that we were going to another good quality place, this was our first mistake. The second was my own for believing the mostly excellent reviews of many other "guests" at this hotel, I cannot believe we are writing about the same place, generally this is an hotel that has an eastern European approach at trying to be western and failing miserably, it does not deserve 4 stars are anything near to it, the saving grace is that the staff are in the main exceptionally friendly and try to make the guests feel as welcome as possible, but having spoken to a number of them they themselves are disillusioned with the management of this hotel.
We booked an all inclusive package via a Bulgarian travel agency that has never failed us before, and paid for a room with a sea view, but due to high trees blocking the view I do not believe there is a room with a clear sea view at all, so why charge for it. The general cleanliness of the premises is fine with the cleaning staff working hard and long, and giving their all to make this place one which you would want to return to but the real big let down is in the standard of the food, I am not a fussy eater and most of my friends (to be polite) would say I like my food, but after trying a few mouthfuls from the buffet here, I would rather have stuck sharp sticks in my eyes than eat here. We tried the restaurant twice for dinner and twice for breakfast the best being breakfast but never ate there again, on three evenings at one of the nearby restaurants there were 25 of the 200 guests from this hotel having dinner and the management state they have never had any other critical reports about the food !!!, make of it what you will, but i would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. Sozopol itself is a lovely seaside town and offers many good restaurants and bars which I would not have got to visit if the hotel had been better so in one way maybe they did me a favour, I only hope this review may do someone else a favour.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jandmuj
western Norway
Reviewed July 30, 2012

First class hotel in sozopol. Very clean, nice rooms. Very good food - all incl. the service from all the staff - from reception, to waiters - bartenders, piccolos, activity staff to the cleaning ladies was exceptional. They all looked as if they enjoyed their work and was proud of their job.
Very close to the beach and the shopping street.

Room Tip: block towards the pool was nice, but I think the rooms towards the garden/beach is even better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family