All reviews private beach great holiday self catering sunny beach bars and restaurants old town clean apartments pizza place electric cars tennis courts pool bar big family gated complex enormous balcony did notice noddy train daily basis
Reviewed September 1, 2017

Did not really have enough time to explore but accommodation was to a basic standard and had everything we needed.
We will definitely book for a few days next June / July as complex looked very professional and clean.

Reviewed August 20, 2017 via mobile

We stayed there for 7 days with 3 kids, and we enjoyed each day. Clean apartments, housekeepers did a perfect job. Car train that took you into Sozopol so you could enjoy city life. Big variety of restaurants at the resort area. Easy to get groceries. But if you have bad knees or a back that's not working probably, this resort can be a challenge, due to steps and hills. But they drive you around in a golf carts. If we going to visit Sozopol another time this will be the place for us again

Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Trym A
Reviewed August 18, 2017

This is our 3rd visit to Santa Marina and to be honest i think i would be well versed on giving an opinion here. The first thing i noticed was how tired the area around reception and the nearyby apartments looked...a lick of paint would make all the difference.. However we checked in for 2 studios and duly set off. By the way, big mistake if they place you in the apartments near the entrance. Night time is met with what you can only describe as some sort of Drumming( coming from the beach or somewhere) that you might hear at an Aztec temple awaiting a sacrifice. Goes on all night....and no one cares if you ask about it.
Because we come from a country with no A/C i couldnt get one of the rooms to work. I went back down to reception to tell the girl there may be a problem to which i was met with THATS IMPOSSIBLE in my face.....wow we have only arrived and you are showing your true colours already. Anyway the bellboy sorted it out for me not a maint guy!! Thanks. The rooms are also starting to show there age ..broken shower door, sink tap ready to come off at anytime and lights that are so dark it feels as though you are in a funeral home. The beds are wooden and a squirt of oil would stop the constant creeking. No jokes please we arent over weight...i believe the cleaner must be really cheesed off before she reaches our rooms as the job is only half done.
I have noticed that the garden and shubbed areas are still well tended to but as there are a lot of stone steps,quite a few are broken, even on the pathways, so beware....
The pools are no longer a clean area as the water overflows around the pools are filled with dirt and algae and please please be very careful waking around the perimetre of them as they are slipperier than black ice if there is water on them. The sunbeds and umbrellas are past their sell by date and the handrails are starting to come loose. We used to go to the 3rd pool which is quite small but the steps into the pool are filthy and the wooden handrails are broken with exposed screws showing and very wobbly, so dont expect them to support you if needed.
Good to see the life guards are there but would hate to see if there was an emergency as they spent most of their time teaching kids to swim. Did notice that when they disappeared, they were away a long time........inflateables were not aloud in the pool but they selected who could use them and who couldnt...strange too as the shops on site where full of them. The whistle was blown a few times at those who were diving dangerously but they should have been watching the kids running. Over the holiday we saw 4 children fall and bang their heads but the life guards saw none....please, if you are a life guard,do your job, i dont want watch people in the pool in difficulties or falling children.
Sorry,but this has to be said and i make no apologies,but there are 2 staff members at the pizza resturant that should no be working in the service industry. One girl with bleached blond hair absolutely lost the plot with us because she made a mistake with our order. The scenario....myself, wife and three girls, aged 16. Five pizzas, pepperroni, hawaian and 3 margarritas ( excuse me if thats not how you spell it) got the first 2 right but then she brought 3 mojito,s? I did tell her that was wrong and she argued with me thats what i ordered. I even showed her the menu. Well, off she went down to her work colleagues shouting and roaring in Bulgarian. Obviously she was shouting about us because once she started they all looked up to our table.... 45 minutes later the correct order came and she had to get one of the other girls to bring it. No apology but simply fired down in front of us...hey we are paying guests and expect to be treated as such. The other individual works upstairs and she is quite heavy. Everything is a major hassle from getting your bill to again firing your order down in front of you. No smile, met with a sour unpleasent unwelcoming face.....who interviewed her or the other girl?
One thing i dont think anybody can get their head round is why all the meals come out at different times. Someone is finished,another is half way through and others havent started. I'll give an example..we booked the restaurant upstairs at the main pool. Our girls had long finished their meal and we waited, wait for it......an hour for ours to come out. Yes we did complain but were met with sorry its my fault( waitress) unfortunately we still had to pay the full price of nearly 300 lev!!!!
Santa Marina and in general Sozapol is not geared up for English speaking people and they do get very frustrated when they dont understand to the point of being slightly intimidating towards you including the reception staff.
To me it was great the first 2 times but its sadly time to go somewhere more hospitable, so its adios Bulgaria.

Room Tip: Insist on a room in the recently built area.....
7  Thank colanmo
Reviewed August 13, 2017

The place is great. It has 5 pools. It is like a small village with a lot of houses inside, streets where you can walk freely as no cars drive inside. Children can play without any worries.

The staff is friendly and they clean the rooms on daily basis. In general it is very nice place and you can have good rest if you are a pool person.

The beach that is next to the complex is not that good as the regular beaches in Bulgaria, but if you'd like to have a 10 mins walk on the beach a bit further down you will find a beach with good sand where you can relax.

The apartments are clean and have everything you need to have good rest. Some apartments have great view towards the sea and you will be amazed by the view.

Room Tip: Best view are on the first line houses.
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
4  Thank Kiril I
Reviewed August 9, 2017

I spent a week at the resort with my two teenage children. We really just wanted a week in the sun with nice food and no stress. Santa Marina delivered this and more. The one bedroom apartment was huge and spotlessly clean. Fantastic aircon (thank goodness) and reliable wifi. We were thrilled to find it had two proper kingsize beds and two good sized shower rooms, plus a kitchenette and an enormous balcony. So nice for us each to have our own space.
The pools were well maintained if a little crowded. We used the resort towels for a 20L (£10)refundable deposit which worked well as we could swap them for a card whenever we wanted so no need to carrying them around. Can't understand why everyone brings their own.
The food in all the restaurants is really tasty and good value but the service is chaotic - but that is the Bulgarian way - they can't help it. We just ordered whatever we fancied and went with the flow of when it turned up. Fine for me and my big kids but not so much fun if you are trying to have a romantic meal or keep little children happy. We did however beat the system by having sushi platters at the Asian restaurant (even they can't serve a whole platter in dribs and drabs!) and it was surprisingly delicious. The worst restaurant was the pizza place. The food is fine but the kitchen is overwhelmed, there's an outside dining area and an inside one with lots of big family tables plus takeaway. The waitresses seemed half the age of the ones in the other restaurants and just didn't have the experience or training to deal with the delays and as a result came across as rude. I would avoid it at busy times.
We got cabs to Sozopol a couple of times. The restaurants are slightly cheaper there netting out the cost of the taxi. Its a nice place. Quite touristy with lots of stalls selling souvenir tat but it gets more interesting as you go towards the back of the old town. There are some lovely restaurants with amazing views.
The resort is a paradise for families with young children and I only wish I had discovered it when mine were little. Its so nice and safe for the children to play in the road in the evenings. Everywhere is littered with bikes and scooters. Seems really safe for them to be independent.
The staff were fairly friendly. I don't think many speak very good english. We booked airport transfers through them which worked well. Its only about 30 mins to the airport.
Overall I think Santa Marina offered excellent value especially compared to Spain or Greece. Its quite a classy resort with very good food and great facilities. We will be going back with the rest of the family next time we need a break in the sun.

Room Tip: I expect all the rooms have pros and cons.
6  Thank Mary W