“Not a great experience of Bulgaria”

Elenite All Inclusive Villas
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Elenite
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had booked a 2 week break in September, but after reading reviews decided to reduce it to 7 days in July. How glad we did. If I had got to spend another week fighting for food, being pushed in front of, glared at, and generally being made to feel uneasy by the Eastern Europeans who dominate these hotel grounds, I would have snapped.
The complex was very large with all the hotels been able to merge by using pools, drinks etc. There were just loads of people, but to be fair apart from meal times there was no fighting for sunbeds etc. We stayed in the villas and found it to be very spacious. Nice terraced area to sit on, but a bit tatty around the edges. The microwave etc was not really used on an AI break.
We spent the whole week lazing by the pool or sea, just fetching drinks as required. But all the time we were filled with the dread of mealtimes. Would we find a table (and could we keep it ?) Would there be any food left (if we could get to the front of any queue) Would it be hot (not a chance unless you used the microwave) We however got some very nice pancakes and omelettes cooked fresh by a really nice English speaking (just) chef, who was beavering away on his two burner hob.
A fine example of the greedy people is the teenager who was at the front of the pancake queue. He took his two pancakes from the silver tray put them on his plate and waited...... two more.... two more...... two more....two more..... At this stage with 5 more people in front of me I had to go back to my table fuming. The lad walked past ten minutes later with at least 16 on his plate. I did utter some hostilities at him. even more so when I saw him leave the place with 10 or more still on his plate !!!!!
The hotel really needs to adopt a fair policy, as the pizzas etc were constantly being snapped up by the person at the front of the queue... or pushers in.
If you can put up with the mealtime mêlée then I'm sure you can make a good holiday of this place. The aquapark is good too.
Again on the meal subject, you can book into one of 3 restaurants for a lovely calm relaxed meal.
Sozopol in the villas hotel serving Bulgarian food lovely.... well worth paying for a drink
Mediterranean serving fish... cant comment as did not try.
Talyana serving from the grill menu... very nice
To book these check at reception, or queue to see the nice lady in the morning.
You can only eat at each once per week.
Avoid the food trauma on another night by going to Khans tent.... great entertainment (but always trying to sell you something... Photo, cds,plus tips lol,
The lobby bar staff worked hard, and were friendly. If you like diet coke they keep a few bottles in the fridge !!!
All the drinks were pretty good and free flowing.
Ice creams good, but could get messy as the day progressed.
biscuits and little pastries always available during the day
Elenite in my opinion was more pleasant than the sunny beach area. I suppose like us the only way to really find out is go, but all the reviews cannot be wrong about the food, Russians/Rumanians etc.
GOOD LUCK, You may just need it.
Oh by the way, the airport is a pretty busy experience too !!

Room Tip: Several people did ask to be moved. we were happy with ours nice and close to reception.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rookie1963

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I just want to say that I am a great believer in you make the best of things no matter how bad.

OK me and my friend have not long returned from the elinite villas which we stayed in for a week. This was a last minute booking and the spiel from the holiday company looked great, water park, bowling, mini golf ect ect. The flight and transfer were great no trouble and when you pull up to the resort its very impressive. You are picked up by a golf buggy, drove at break neck speed to the top of alot of steps and told in very bad english and pointing to go down to reception and collect your key. These are given (thrown at you) and thats it. No information just off you go. Back up the steps to the buggy and off to your villa. Once inside the driver will stand watching you until you tip him.

The villa is basic but was fine for me and my friend, air con was great and much needed, the balcony was large and over looking the sea. It was clean and the beds were comfortable.

We went to find lunch, uneven cracked stone steps everywhere, you go up to go down to go up again, with no hand rails.
Lunch.....I have never seen greed on this scale!! You will spend 10 minutes looking for a table, clean it yourself then have to guard it with your life. The food, if you can get any, is cold and unrecognizable. Its all in some kind of sauce, stews ect the signs next to them are only in russian so its pot luck what you eat. We watched a family of 3 (grandma, mother and child) collect 18 plates of food piled high. most of it was left when the vacated the table.

This was the same for every meal time, cold food, filth everywhere, greed and rudeness. Don't expect any manners off anyone as its every man for himself. The one lunch time we found a table went to get food only to return to people sitting at our table. No problem we thought we don't mind sharing. The boy sitting directly across from me was then violently sick all over the table and our food, hmmm nice one. Expect not to eat, stock up in the big supermarket just outside the main gates.

Forget eating from one of the snack bars, the queues are always huge and there is usually only cold dried up food left.

You have to pay for the bowling, beds at the water park, pool tables and the mini golf. we are both widely traveled and have never known this in an A/I before. The 'pub' is not part of the package either, we went once and was the only ones in there. Its very dark and smells really bad. The vodka they serve everywhere is vile we brought bottles from the supermarket.

The Staff, rude unhelpful and lazy. If you are not Russian forget it, they have no time for British campers and will literary walk away from you when you are talking to them.

The paths and steps of a night are a death trap with no lighting, TAKE A TORCH you will need it.

All in all we had a great holiday but thats because we entertained ourselves, nothing to do with the hotel/staff/food. If you like people watching then this is the perfect place.

Take more money with you than you think you will need as you will end up eating out.

Would I recommend this place or go back? Hell no!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JuanShiet
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Was really worried after reading reviews but we've just returned from 2 weeks in Elenite villas and loved it. It was fab for families of young children. My boys are 4 and 5 and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The location is beautiful. Our villa was basic but clean. Linen and towels changed daily and villa cleaned and mopped. Kids club was brill.... twice daily for 2 hours. The animation staff were friendly and so, so hard working. Evening entertainment was quite good, again kids loved it. We found restaurant was bit boring but was good selection and we found it clean. You need to arrive early when there are less people. Yes, the Russians are very rude but you just end up ignoring them and just minding your own business. If they pushed and shoved you soon learn to do the same. During our stay however we met lots of Brits so we mixed with lots of families. The 3 free visits to the restaurants was quite a nice change but very rushed. We ate out quite a bit which was fine as meals were cheap. Please don't trust too much in all the bad reviews. The holiday is what you make it. It's good value for money with plenty to do and some of the things we witnessed people moaning about was ridiculous....It's Bulgaria not an exclusive resort in Dubai!! Will definitely return to Elenite but will probably consider self catering!!! Hope you enjoy your visit as much as we did!!

Room Tip: If you have any trouble at all with your room let rep know as soon as possible..... they'll move...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jenlivingstone
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My family and I have not long returned from what can only be described as our worst holiday ever. We stayed at the Elenite Villas, Bulgaria from 13th July to 27th July 2013. We travelled as a family of 4. Two adult and two children aged 9 & 7.

We booked our holiday through Co-operative Travelcare whom we have been booking with for over 15 years and never had a problem. We booked a one bedroom apartment so that our children would have their own room.

Having been to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria before we kind of knew what to expect and was looking forward to our holiday. On arrival at the resort, our first impressions were good. The resort had its own security and the whole place seemed very nice and of a high standard. From this point on things went downhill very rapidly.

We checked in at reception and was handed our room key and taken to our room. We were not given any information about the restaurant meal times, where it was etc. On arrival at the room we found ourselves placed in a studio villa with bunk beds. This was not what we booked. I highlighted this immediately to reception who informed me there was nothing they could do. I managed to get a contact number for the Balkan Holidays rep (Milen) who also told me he could do nothing until the next day when he would see me at the welcome meeting. We also telephoned back home and spoke to the Manager at Travelcare who assured us that they had booked us the Villa we had requested on booking. On meeting the Balkan rep the next day, I again highlighted the fact we were placed in the wrong room. He showed me a piece of paper that had their information on it. This showed a 1 bedroom villa with bunk beds. He did not seem the get the point a 1 bed villa means there should be a separate room! Milen told me there were no villa's in the resort that had the separate bedroom. Does this mean the Balkan Holidays are miss-selling this holiday?

Our first impression of the villa was that it was very unclean, dingy, smelt of damp and was badly needing refurbished. Even the shower curtain was mouldy. On our first night in the studio villa, we were about to go to bed but the villa next door (only separated by an internal door) had the television on very loud. We banged through several times as my children were unable to sleep due to the noise. Eventually about 12.30am they switched the television off. When I went to lie down on my bed I found the mattress had a severe slope and I literally had to cling to the bed to stop me rolling off. In the room there was a continuous noise that sounded as though someone had left taps running. All in all the four of us had very little sleep on our first night. I thought a holiday was supposed to be a time to relax! When you arrive at your destination you just want to get unpacked and start your holiday, we couldn’t do this.

After speaking to the Balkan rep again and highlighting our concerns, I asked if we could move resort or be placed in another hotel in Elenite which would hopefully be cleaner. We were offered to move to a hotel in Sunny Beach with a family room but we would have to pay £200 to move. We could not do this as it would have meant using our spending money. We were also offered to move to another villa as there were departures on the Monday. I was handed a piece of paper with about 8 villas listed on it. I spent an afternoon walking round picking one that we could move to. I eventually chose the best of a bad bunch. It still didn’t have a separate bedroom as we booked, but it did not have an adjoining villa meaning it would hopefully be quieter. There was a small balcony in which we could have sat out in the evenings had the bush and shrubbery not been overgrown. This was eventually cut down 2 days before we left! But yet again this room shabby and was not clean, much the same as the last villa, except this time there were also cobwebs everywhere – in the lights, under the top bunk of the bunk beds. The place had obviously not been cleaned properly before we went in and throughout our stay was not cleaned thoroughly each day. The floors were never swept or washed properly. The curtains would fall down every day when we opened the door to the balcony, which meant I had to climb onto a chair and hang them up again. The shower curtain was disgusting and had black mould on it. The tiles in the bathroom looked like they have never been cleaned. The shower head did not stay in the holder when we switched the shower on meaning you had to hold the shower head in one hand while washing yourself with the other. Our towels were changed every day but to be honest we were never sure if we were getting clean ones as they always had brown/orange stains on them. The villa was beyond basic!

On the 19th July we left our room at 09:00 as normal to go to the pool and when we came back to room at 16:30 the front door was open and the patio door was open. We informed reception straightaway and thankfully nothing had been stolen. He thought it may have been the cleaner who had left the door open by mistake!

Now onto the restaurant and food, in one word, disgusting! The tables and chairs were normally dirty and covered in bird droppings as birds would fly through the restaurant whilst you were eating. We then discovered a bird’s nest above the fire exit sign which was next to where the children would get their ice cream. This is totally unhygienic and unacceptable!

The plates and cutlery were not clean, and there was food all over the place. On most nights we had to walk around for about 10 minutes to find a seat. We tried to go at different times thinking it may be quieter and it would be easy to get a table but that didn’t matter. All the food in the restaurant that should have been warm was always cold. We had to use the microwave in the restaurant to heat our food. As I said we’ve been to Bulgaria before and knew that the food would not be hot but we at least expected warm! When a fresh tray of french fries were sent out, even they were cold and rubbery as if they had been cooked the day before.

Most of the chairs were also dangerous and broken. My eldest son trapped his finger as when he went to move the chair closer to the table, the whole seat of the chair lifted away from the frame and when he sat down his finger got trapped. There was a 'bug zapper' to catch the flies in the restaurant but this was not plugged in! We were always wary about eating in the restaurant as it just did not look hygienic at all. We were told by other guests that the best meal of the day was breakfast but even this was disgusting. We only had breakfast twice during our whole stay as it was that bad.

In the early hours of the 24th July, my wife was violently sick and had diarrhoea for the rest of the day. She thinks this is due to the poor hygiene of the restaurant and the food.

On our last day my son was sick over the bedding at 7am and after calling about 4 of 5 times throughout the day our covers were eventually changed at 2.30pm. I was disgusted to see that the cleaners only changed the duvet covers rather than take the duvets away to be cleaned too as you could clearly see the sickness had went through the whole duvet.

The paths around the resort were also hazardous. They were uneven, and there was a trip hazard all around. My son fell over a man hole that had 'handles' that was not level with the path.

At the beginning of the holiday we searched for entertainment and found the 'animation hall' which for the size of resort was nowhere near big enough; you literally had to fight your way to get in and normally didn’t get a seat. But to be honest it wasn’t worth it as the evening entertainment lasted about 40 minutes. We also don’t think that a Male Erotic Dance Show is family entertainment, so why would this be part of the entertainment programme??!

After the evenings short entertainment our options were to huddle around the seating areas at reception which was not air conditioned or go to our room. There were some seating just outside the reception area but it was always busy and we could never get a seat, no matter what time we got there. So there was not even an area to sit outside and enjoy a drink. The bar in the evening was a small hole in the wall that you had to queue for sometimes at least 15 minutes. Also the tables in the reception area where we could sit were never cleaned after someone else had been there. We normally had to clear the table ourselves putting glasses on the reception desk as there wasn’t a proper bar area. My wife asked on numerous evenings for the tables to be wiped clean, again this didn’t happen and they looked at her as if she was stupid! She even asked for a cloth to do it herself and didn’t get one.

We refused to put our children to the kids club due to how poorly ran it looked. We did not trust the people running it at all.

Most days/evenings you would see or hear someone complaining about something at reception. One night I was talking to one of the receptionists and the other receptionist on duty said ‘more problems?’ This just shows what the place was like. One English gentleman was complaining that he hadn’t received the correct room either, he had booked a villa with extra room for his children and got the same as us, small villa with bunk beds.

We actually got fed up asking for things to be put right and gave up complaining or asking for things to be cleaned because the staff did not do anything about our complaints and we got the impression they just did not care!

We talked to people staying in the Royal Bay hotel and not only had they paid more than £300 less than us, they informed us they had a customer relations person continually asking how they were enjoying their holiday and if there was anything they could do. We had nothing even remotely like this but I can understand why as the person would not get a minutes peace from all the complaints. Even on our departure from the resort at 2:40am we had no-one asking how our holiday was. The group of people staying at the Royal Bay hotel all received a packed breakfast consisting of croissant, banana, apple and bottle of water. What did we get? . . . nothing!

In the airport on the home we heard another family complaining of how bad the villas and food were.

We have been on many holidays over the last 20 years and this is by far the worst holiday. I have never wanted to return home from a holiday after just arriving which is how I felt with this one.
In my opinion this resort is not fit for purpose and should be closed, well to UK visitors at least.

After working hard all year you look forward to going on holiday to spend time together as a family, relax, do no housework and enjoy some nice food. This just didn’t happen as we were anxious all time, had to clean our room, did not look forward to meal times and was always taking notes and photographs to prove how bad this place was. It was truly disappointing and upsetting.

As for the Eastern Europeans that are at this complex, well they just push and barge their way past you and they clearly have noidea what a queue is! They are very rude and would fil their plates with as much food as they could. Whenever fresh fruit was taken out they would just swallow it all up. The annoying part of it was that most of the time you would see them leave the restaurant and their table still had plenty food left on it. One word, greed!

I will finish off by saying if you want a holiday in a shabby resort with cold food, trip hazzards, little entertainment then this is the place for you. If you want a relaxing holiday where you can feel safe in the knowledge the food you are eating is safe then Elenite is certainly not for you.

We will most certainly not be going back and we have complained to Balkan holidays. We only hope our compensation is not a holiday to Elenite Villas!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank m_d_brown57
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Myself, my partner and 7 year old daughter have just returned from a week long stay and a week was too long. The room we were given was small for the 3 of us with no room for anything. The location is ideal as it is beach front but all the other aspects let it down. The main one being the restaurant. The majority of the time we spent walking around looking for a table and when we did eventually find one the dirty dishes were not cleared away unless you done it yourself, and on many occasion we actually had to stand up and eat our food. All other all inclusive hotels we have been to have none stop food throughout the day as snacks for the kids and whoever wants them, not here your meal was your lot. Eventually we found a little restaurant not far away and spent our evenings paying for food which was the only way we were going to have a decent meal. The main problem is the Russians, dirty, rude and their children are just the same. Queues are something they believe that they do not need to do and will actually push you out of the way to get to what they want, which is mainly food or fruit. Unfortunately the staff are much the same, really unhelpful and most of them don't speak a word of English. We were informed that it was customary to tip for a service, when we were shown our room we tipped them and they proceeded to tell us that it was not enough!!! Needless to say we did not tip again for the ungrateful attitude we received. So needless to say a return visit will not be on the cards.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have just returned from Elenite Holiday Village. We were very disappointed. The people are rude, ignorant & unhelpful and 99% cannot speak English so unable to help out. The food was the same everyday, we lived on chips & bread. You have to queue for anything good and by the time you get there the Russians have probably grabbed the lot whilst pushing in infront of the children!
Our room was horrible & dirty, we complained & were moved to a beautiful apartment at the top of the village but I am basing ratings on 1st rooms we had. The Water Park which was lovely had poo up the walls & on the back of the doors. Someone was sick in the pool & the guard wasnt interested when we told him, he shrugged his shoulders & turnt his head.
They have no good drinks, no music in the bars which close at 22.30 (if your children happen to be playing inside they just lock them in!)
The place is full of wasps that just fly into you. Lots of people including us were sick with upset tummys & vomitting. The resort itself was beautiful but the hygiene & lack of help from people was discusting. I have never been anywhere like it before & would NEVER return!
Reception also misplaced our passports which they finally found but werent very bothered they couldnt find them in the first place. Do NOT go to this place unless you like filth & rude people and want to be ill.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the apartments at the top of the village (newly built and lovely) do not go to one of...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank angie m
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Elenette restaurant is a bloody joke never seen anything like it dirty tables food on floor.waiters bring cherries out gone in 15 seconds I saw people scoop into haver sacks seaside buckets carrier bags, even saw one dirty person sitting at a table spit his food out on floor.My wife cleared plates of the tables to make a space for our family8 of us we got back she was very ill for 4 weeks.Be very carefully walking about drain covers missing,iWeb went beginning of the season dread to think what it's like now. Should not be in the broucher..

Room Tip: Take a tent
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 449George449
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elenite
Royal Bay Hotel
Bohemi Hotel
Bohemi Hotel
#175 of 222 in Sunny Beach
Andalucia Beach Hotel & Residence

Been to Elenite All Inclusive Villas? Share your experiences!