After a rapid and very informative 9 day nature tour all over Costa Rica we wanted to stay in one place to fully benefit from all we learned (find and identify flora and fauna on our own) and get to know the country in its true essence, away from touristy spots. We could not have chosen a better place to be. La Cusinga is a gem. The cabins are beautifully constructed, comfortable and private (the fans and ocean breeze were far supreme to any a/c unit) The spacious and comfortable common area veranda has a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean, the Whale Tail land formation, the jungle, animals, exquisite sunsets and fantastic evening lightening storms over the ocean. The staff are warm and wonderful, individually and as a team (muchas gracias Olman, Esteban, Evelin, Denis, Olga, Dena, Dinia, and those we knew were working hard behind the scenes). The groundskeeping is exquisite, allowing the natural beauty to shine. Toucans, howler monkeys, geckos and butterflies abound. Falling asleep and awakening to the symphony of nature sounds is sublime. The food is natural, fresh and excellently prepared and each meal in the open air restaurant was accompanied by breathtaking vistas and the fun of spotting howler monkeys, squirrels, Toucans and other creatures who played in full view as we ate. This is a perfect place for travelers wishing to trade in the typical hotel amenities (tv, mini-fridges, bars and piped in music) for a natural, tranquil, heart-filled retreat. 600 acres of well maintained trails to explore allowed us to experience private beach coves, primary forests with ancient trees, mountain stream fed swimming holes all on foot. Uvita is a short taxi ride away and a great place to stock up on snacks and supplies, exchange money and sample more local food. Marino Ballena National Park is also a quick ride for hiking the Whale Tail, spotting giant iguanas and maybe a croc or two. The low rainy part of the green season (July) is a perfect time to come - the daily afternoon showers were light and in no way impacted our ability to be out and about and the evening lightning is a better show than anything on tv. This place is for nature lovers who are mobile (cabins are a short but uphill walk on paths and stone stairs up to the veranda and restaurant), crave natural beauty over luxury, is willing to let the available fare of the day dictate what is on the menu, flexible to go with the flow and find fun and adventure if weather blows in, the occasional gecko or crab comes to visit your cabin, internet goes down momentarily, you want to practice your Spanish, or staff provides you with candles and flashlights til the power is restored due to a lightening storm. Internet connection is excellent on the veranda. Honestly, we barely felt the need to leave in the glorious 6 days we were here. I will be back and will bring friends and family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden in the hilltops overlooking the pristine beaches of Costa Rica's still-virgin south pacific, where the ocean crashes into the jungle sits La Cusinga. Tucked away in a private reserve of over 600 acres, this rainforest lodge provides guests with sweeping ocean views, sandy beaches, natural pools, and the chance to experience the burgeoning forests and astonishing wildlife of the country's most famous ecosystem - OSA. The hotel offers ten rooms designed with sustainably-harvested wood and local materials to maximize comfort while minimizing impact on the environment. The open-air restaurant creates an ideal setting for couples and families alike to enjoy delicious tropical dishes made with fresh produce grown on our farm. The lodge's genuine commitment to sustainable practices along with our first-hand experience in local and national conservation efforts enrich our guests' appreciation of these ecosystems and the importance of their continued preservation. This unique insight enhances the exploration of the natural surroundings while the beautiful location offers the tranquility of fresh ocean breezes and breathtaking sunsets that make for the perfect tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your La Cusinga Eco Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Cusinga Eco Hotel Uvita
- La Cusinga Eco Lodge Costa Rica/Uvita