All reviews howler monkeys natural pool private beach swimming hole costa rica yoga pavilion there is no air conditioning spent a week here hiking trails tropical paradise flora and fauna bird watching breathtaking views bahia ballena national park low tide pura vida
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Our family stayed here for 3 nights (it was supposed to be 4, but our flight got moved up by 6 hours :(.
We loved the view of the ocean from our place and the wildlife we saw on the trails, our cabin, the common area and the poza (natural pool). We saw howler monkeys twice, once from our cabin, once at the reception area and white-faced capuchins once at the poza. We saw many lizards and over 50 species of birds. I've birded in Costa Rica many times and I added several species to my life list. My kids normally are not huge birders, but even they enjoyed seeing some of Costa Rica's larger birds like the Great Curassow, Crane Hawk and of course the Chestnut-mandibled toucans.
The private beach was amazing, with several freshwater springs feeding into it. The water was warm and the waves were prefect for body surfing. The other beach you can walk to was great for viewing wildlife, but not suitable for swimming.
The food was good, but dinner was too expensive for our budget. I wished they had at least a small menu. However, since we had a vehicle we could drive about 5km north to Uvita Beach where there was some good food (La Fogata - great pizza and other dishes).

Room Tip: I think all of the cabins are good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth F
Geinier, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for your visit and for taking your time to share your experience with the world! and also the photos, nice ones!

We are a place for couples, for yoga groups, surfing families, for birders, for families with kids of all ages! And yes, you do not have to be a nature lover to fall in love with nature here, because it is all around you! A true natural experience!

"My kids normally are not huge birders, but even they enjoyed seeing some of Costa Rica's larger birds like the Great Curassow, Crane Hawk and of course the Chestnut-mandibled toucans."

Glad you saw the big birds! They are in the forest, but also they can be seen from your room, the restaurant and even in the parking lot!

Thank you and i hope your kids will get into birds and nature a little bit more!

Pura Vida!

Reviewed March 28, 2014

A namaste-istas paradise. We were traveling on our own and stayed in a cabina. In march the weather was stifling hot (no AC) but the cabina had 700+ sq ft of screened ventilation including a peak vent that let hot air out. I got by at night by taking a cold shower then pointing a box fan at my body for evaporative cooling effect. The builder must have a PHD in architectural concrete artistry. It is beautiful. The food was wonderfully fresh and delicious although we joked about 32 ways to serve rice, beans and chicken or fish. Lunch and dinner are an extra cost and fixed menu.
A fifteen minute hike down a steep trail takes you to the incredible Playa Arco (beach) which is typically all your own. Check high tide charts for safely getting back from the south end of the beach. Just north of the cave is a hidden waterfall where you can rinse off the salt.
The grounds have a small fresh water pool (la pozo?) which is great after a hot days activities. Ask for directions. Remember to tip the staff because they do such a great job. Also watch for birds and monkeys.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kyle s

“If you can't unwind here, your spring is broken.”

Funny you started with that quote, because people that know me always ask me... where in the world do you go on vacation, if you have La Cusinga. And it is true, to me a walk to the beach or a swim in the Poza, or to sit in the main mirador to see a sunset unwinds me 110%, and it is my work place! Now imagine you that come here on vacation! And our yoga studio is also a great place to practice yoga!

Thank you for staying with us, I am glad you liked our place! And thank you for sharing your story!!

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

We loved our stay at the Cusinga : everything is done with taste and you can feel their comittment in sustainability. The rooms in private bungalows are perfect and super clean. The view above the bay is amazing. The food is the best ever thanks to the sélection of fresh ingredients from their farm and a fantastic cook. Not to mention the exclusive access to a beach from the national park, the natural spring pool and more monkeys & birds in the cusinga area than seen in parks. Thank you so much to all the team for you kindness and commitment.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for visiting us, for our team it is always an honor to have people like you that love what we are about! We are also thankful for taking your time to give us a review! Your heading is a great one!

“The best place to stay in Costa Rica”

Thank you!!!

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Our stay at La Cusinga was our last stop in Costa Rica, and exceeded our expectations, helping us go three-for-three in terms of 5/5 star stays here in our 2 weeks in CR. We had the privilege of 4 nights here, and I can say that we could have used 3 more. We had a rental vehicle, so the options in the Uvita area are plentiful, but the property itself offers so much to do, and also the grand lounge overlooking the Pacific and Ballenas Marine Park beckons visitors to stay and take in the views and the plentiful wildlife (chestnut mandibled Toucans for instance).

Our room (one side of a cabin) was charming, the food was very authentic and delicious, and we liked that the charming little village of Uvita was only a ten minute drive away. This village has none of the dingy/dark surfer/rasta vibe that we encountered in Nosara and Dominical, and has a few choices for good food.

Overall once again great service, but it is best to keep in mind that it is an Eco-Lodge, so amenities and luxuries come in the form of the serenity and beauty of the place, not in bells and whistles. The architecture seems just the right mix of form and function in order to blend with the steep slopes as lushness of the jungle.

Included breakfast was great quality and flavours were Tico, the view from the dining hall also spectacular.

We only opted to eat dinner once at La Cusinga, on our last night, as the dinner price is a bit steep for a family of four. We did, however, quickly realize that you get what you pay for, as it was a multiple-course meal crowned with amazing tuna steak!

If you are up for a 15 minute hike through the jungle, you are rewarded with the best beach I have ever been on (and I've been to quite a few). On a small curved bay with very lush jungle offering shade from many angles, the sheer beauty of this beach is hard to aptly describe. Add to that thousands of small crabs that scurry away as you walk along, thousands of hermit crabs along the jungle line, families of monkeys playing in the trees, a fresh waterfall to rinse off in, a tunnel cave that you can walk through at low tide, body-surfable waves on a sandy bottom, perfect water temperature, rocky outcroppings at either end to find sea life in, no other people most of the time, and you have my ultimate beach! While we were there the surf was very small, I tried surfing for a bit, but there was only one rideable wave every half hour. It was, however, perfect to get my young kids standing and surfing the whitewater for their first time! This beach will truly stick in my memory as a foretaste of Heaven.

Also very neat are the trails around the property, one to a refreshing natural river swimming hole, another a 30-minute loop with plenty of wildlife. We saw a peccary and a poison arrow frog for instance.

La Cusinga is a piece of Paradise here on Earth!

Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your visit to our hotel and a bigger thank YOU for sharing your experience with the world! Your review is a very complete one! Thank you! I agree with you and what i like the best is this: "If you are up for a 15 minute hike through the jungle, you are rewarded with the best beach I have ever been on (and I've been to quite a few). " To me personally this is my baby, we had to fight hard against a developer that wanted to destroy that forest and built a resort for his own benefit, but after 8 years we won the legal battle and the forest was included into the National park!

SO it is a great place and very Natural and unique!

Pura Vida!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

In early March, 2014 I made my second stay at La Cusinga. Once again, the stay was great. The grounds feature a few hike options for those wanting to do more than leisurely take in the amazing ocean views. The hike to the natural pool is an especially rewarding one. The hike to the beach is great for a bit of birding. The beach is nice, but with the need to be mindful of tides and the occasional local seedy character, we took pictures the just walked back.

The inn itself is nice, and rustic. I was a tad disappointed that I stayed in the same cabin as my previous trip. The room is nice enough. There is no air condition and it gets hot, so be prepared. And it is the jungle, so there will be bugs (big ones) and their predators (big ones) in the room. We evicted a larger sized green grasshopper but were a bit relieved to see a large gecko (+/-9 incessant long) protecting the bathroom area.

The two stars of this inn are the amazing view of Ballena Marine National Park and the food.
Be prepared for stunning sunsets overlooking the still pacific waters. There is also whale watching to be had if you are there the right time of year.

The food is really good. Most Costa Rica hotels provided basic, simple food which is generally good in its simplicity. At La Cusinga the food is very good. You will not get the standard Costa Rica food, but instead thoughtfully prepared meals with quality ingredients.

In the area there is a lot to do, so you can easily use the secluded Eco Lodge as a good base.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Geinier, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank you!

For us it is an honor to have people visit our hotel that actually understand end enjoy what we are about. But also to take the time to share your experience with the world, for that we are grateful!

We are glad you enjoyed the view, the phrase that we get more often from visitors is "WOW" when they first see the view!

Our food, our team have passion and enjoy finding the best local, fresh and organic products that we can produce or buy from our community organic producers, fishermen, farmers.

Our Dinner has four courses: a soup or cream, an organic salad, the main course and a delicious dessert... and the best ingredient is the passion of our team members!

Again Muchas gracias for taking your time to give the world your review!