“Wonderful stay!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Tampa, Florida
“Wonderful stay!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

La cusinga eco lodge was possibly
One of the best things about my vacation. I spent a week in a hostel and switched to la Cusgina for one day. Although I had done many tours through waterfalls and caves and zip lining, just this resort beat it all. At first I was not excited about my room. It said ocean views which i didnt have (realized later all the others did :) but once I walked around I realized I was in paradise. The views from the common area and restaurant and second to none! There pool is made up of a small natural waterfall. There are hiking trails all over the property. The view from the trail down to the beach has the most gorgeous view I've ever seen in all my travels. I did not have enough time to explore the waterfall on the beach or the cave all in the backyard of the eco resort. The staff were some of the friendliest I've ever come across. Very polite and treated me as a friend and not as a client or customer. Check in was easy and I believe they gave me a close by room because I had a very very large and obviously heavy backpack. Although that is why I did not have an ocean view. I did have several hummingbirds come right up to feed from the flowers on my porch, saw what looked like peacocks or turkeys on the walk to the beach, a butterfly bigger than my hand too! Also the man working the reception when I checked in was able to make sure I would have a nice breakfast even though I had to leave for the airport at 6am. (Breakfast doesn't start until 7) what kind people and what an amazing place! I will definitely go back again!

• Stayed February 2014
Geinier, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Amber J

thank you for your review! We are glad that you enjoy Nature and the wonders of what this place has to offer! We are proud to have protected this land for more than 40 years! We are part of nature, our team and family are always here to make sure your stay with us is the best possible experience for you. We are glad we have meet your expectations!

Pura Vida and we hope to see you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Hebrew first
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I've stayed at a lot of hotels in CR and this is the best. The setting is stupendous - high on a ridge overlooking the Pacific from the Whale's Tail on the right to the Corcovado on the left. The open 'lounge' with comfortable seating offers magnificent views of the ocean, sunsets, and a vast array of birds while enjoying the sound of the howlers. Likewise the open restaurant designed to give close up seating for the same viewing and watching howlers watching me from a few feet away - and good food. The staff was ever helpful and friendly. The cabanas featured wonderful design utilizing local woods and rock. A magnificent wellness center/spa sits in a garden featuring bananas, guanabana and other fruit. A very large beautiful open air, but covered, space would provide an idyllic setting for wedding or other gathering - or just another quiet place to bask in this tropical paradise. A 20 minute walk through the jungle brings one to a wonderful secluded beach for safe swimming behind huge rocks breaking the surf. A great place that will satisfy the most critical.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the restaurant would have the best ocean view. There are stairs and gravel that...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Geinier, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Larry L,

thank you for your visit! and thank you for sharing your experience with the world! Very kind words! I have to say that it means a lot to me, as i know that where you are from has beautiful nature places! So when you state: "I've stayed at a lot of hotels in CR and this is the best" it has a lot of meaning and we are so happy to have been getting reviews like yours, because it means that we are doing things right! And we are sharing it with the right people!

Muchas Gracias!
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I spent a week here on a yoga retreat. The site and the buildings are so very beautiful. To begin with I had a cabin with ocean views and breezes. I could sit on my front porch and watch the Pacific and a butterfly garden a bit down the hill. The stone and woodwork on all the buildings was amazing.
Site includes a large open sunset deck, a beautiful, open practice hall built to sacred geometry, a dining area open to full Pacific views, and an assortment of lovely cabins plus dormitory housing.
The staff is friendly and helpful, the food local and very fresh. Much of what I ate was fresh tropical fruits which they served in abundance.
There are side trips you can make to accent your stay, but for me just lying about reading was what I needed to decompress from my life.

A few things you should know: La Cuisinga is outside of Uvita, a small town four hours south of San Jose airport. Buses can be hired for a group, going solo can be challenging.
The climate is truly tropical, so in early February we had highs up to 95 degrees F, and lows no lower than the low 70's F. There is frequent rain, so it's also humid. If you suffer from heat or are very popular with biting insects, this might not be your place. They have ample fans but no AC.

Room Tip: Get the best cabin offered. If you are solo, spring for a room alone. It's worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Yoga retreats at our Eco Lodge at our open practice hall built to sacred geometry is becoming more popular, and we are glad that you had a good experience! Your group has a great group! We enjoyed catering to you and your group! Than you for sharing your experience and your photos!

We do have a great yoga studio that is unique in Costa Rica and one that you will enjoy, it was build based on sacred geometry as you stated!

Again: Muchas Gracias!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 11, 2014

It's hard not to sound hyperbolic when talking about La Cusinga. First of all: the setting. La Cusinga is perched high on a lookout (mirador) over the Pacific coast in Uvita, looking up toward the Whale's Tail and down toward Corcovado. Just sitting in their mirador (a tastefully decorated outdoor "lobby" and aerie) you can see miles of coast, whale activity(!), and all kinds of incredible birds. Then, the rooms: very simple, generously sized, and private. Add to all of this, the staff: really nice, unobtrusive, and happy to be helpful. Finally, the food at La Cusinga is really perfect. It is healthy and unpretentious, but absolutely terrific. And you eat looking at that same incredible view. Oh, and you can walk down to what feels like a private beach, go for a swim, and watch Capuchin monkeys gamboling in the trees. This was our favorite of many great eco lodges in Costa Rica. Sit in the mirador, watch the sun melt into the ocean, and be happy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
"This was our favorite of many great eco lodges in Costa Rica." is a good summary of all the kind words that you have taking your time to share! Than you! We love to have people that really understand that a concrete place you will find it anywhere, but to be part of nature in a way that you are not impacting the natural way of the flora and fauna, only a few places. Because we for more than 40 years have protected our area, have been part of the this natural system where we have mutual respect for all the fauna, we do not feed the animal and they do not seek our guest for food. Something very hard to find now a days, and we are proud that we have that culture in our every day life and our way of doing business! .

Muchas Gracias and Pura Vida!
Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 9, 2014

we stayed at La Cusinga during a plant medicine retreat this winter and in was extraordinary on all levels. The rooms were excellent, comfortable, and always clean. The kitchen staff were superior and catered to ALL the needs of every retreat participant. The grounds & gardens outside were immaculate and stunning :) I recommend it to anyone, groups, families, couples...it's perfect.

Room Tip: dorms are pleasantly comfortable, private rooms are...more private ;)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to share your experience with the world! This group is one that we always look forward to hosting, as your values are very similar to ours and the leader and one that i admire a great deal! I am glad that you had the experience to be here with with this group! and thank you for your description: "immaculate and stunning"

Pura Vida!
Spokane
Reviewed February 6, 2014

La Cusinga sits on the edge of a jungly slope down to a private beach and a whale sanctuary. The surrounding forest is full of animals and birds and butterflies. Each unit is in harmony with the setting, well designed, hand crafted, and very comfortable. The food is served on a veranda overlooking the slopes and the ocean. Stunning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review and for visiting our hotel! We are glad that you liked our natural settings, the flora and Fauna that we are a part of!

We hope to have you visit us again! Thank you!!!!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed with La Cusinga back in 2008 as we were travelling across Costa Rica, and although we traveled throughout the country and stayed in a number of different places - nothing compared to the experience we shared at La Cusinga. La Cusinga encompasses the perfect balance between comfort and hospitality without impeding on the spectacular landscapes on which the lodge is situated within.

The building and infrastructure of the lodge is minimal and treads lightly on the environment in which it inhabits. The structures are built with what seems to be local craft and and yet are sturdy and offer optimal thermal comfort without the use of air conditioning and other modern technologies. I admire greatly the fact that the size of the lodge does not allow for massive groups of tourists at any given moment -allowing for more intimate interaction with the few guests who are staying there together, and with the natural surroundings of the place. The dining pavilion offers breath-taking views overlooking the canopy of jungle trees and the pacific ocean and we were told if we were to visit at the appropriate time we would be able to catch glimpses of the whales and possibly even hear their song.

Our memories of La Cusinga have stayed with my boyfriend and I since we last visited in 2008, and no doubt our shared experience of the place are among those that serve as the very foundation of our relationship. We have since then become engaged and our planning on having our wedding in early 2015 (hopefully during prime whale watching season!) and we can't think of a better place to get married than La Cusinga - the very place that we hold so dear to our hearts.

We are not sure who to contact with regards to begin the planning process and are hoping that our review here catches the eyes of management at La Cusinga so we can begin planning our dream wedding!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Geinier, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
To get this lines: “one of the most spectacular places in the world....” would had been plenty to be a happy manager and to have a team proud of what they do.

But to read on and to see how great of a review this one is, for this we want to thank you!!!! for talking the time to share with the world your experience! And we look forward to hosting your wedding! and to enjoy with your family and friend that special moment! We love weddings and we have good experience hosting them!

We have already send you a private message!

finally, thank you again!!! from all of us here at La Cusinga Lodge! Pura Vida!