“Snacks”

The Baker Bean
Ranked #4 of 47 Restaurants in Uvita
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Baker Bean is a small, boutique restaurant and bakery offering an eclectic mix of foods to appeal to every palette. Specialties include Argentine Empañadas, New York Deli-style bagels, stone-oven pizzas, and Italian fresh pasta dishes (ravioli, lasagna, cannoli, and spaghetti). Everything is prepared from scratch on the premises. We serve wine and beer as well as a broad variety of non-alcoholic alternatives. Dine al fresco or in our air-conditioned salon at your preference.
Reviewed June 20, 2013

They have great Empanadas, we love the Spinach e Queso. On this particular trip, we stpped by to find they were out but the owner was there so we were told to come back in 10 minutes. When we did, we were treated to freshly baked Spinach e Queso Empanadas, straight from the oven. Super tasty!!!

There are newer reviews for The Baker Bean

Reviewed June 9, 2013

If you love pastries, this is a place you must visit! Quality food, very good prices. The owner is very helpful and kind. FREE WI FI, which is great when you can find it in Costa Rica. The coffee was not the best I have had in Costa Rica, but it was not bad by any means. My husband had a poppy seed breakfast sandwich, which was almost better than the pastries the rest of us ordered! Cannot go wrong with any thing you choose here!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

If you are looking for fresh baked goods in the area, the options are limited. The Baker Bean has wonderful bagels and pastries. We had good service, albeit the staff did not speak English and it was not easy to communicate.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I came to the restaurant having read the other positive (albeit very few) reviews, and I was sadly very disappointed by my entire experience. To summarize, the service was atrocious, the food was a BIT above average, the location was poor, and the value was average. Read on for more info:

SERVICE: Poor. When I came in, nobody acknowledged that I was even there (despite the fact that what looked like the owner/manager and his family (who are also the waitstaff) were seated at a nearby table chatting with each other). I took a table, but nobody presented me with a menu or even told me what the options were before asking for my order. Throughout the time I was there, I saw the manager/owner go up and talk to another group that was there, cordially asking them how their food was, but he never once cared to ask me (clearly not a "regular" or someone who would likely return) how I was enjoying my experience. When I eventually paid him and thanked him, he did not offer a "thank you" or even a "you're welcome" in return before I left. Finally, I should note that I came in literally dripping wet with sweat from a long walk out in the heat, and it took about 10 minutes for the waitress to even bring the glass of water that I asked for immediately. I was left to guzzle down a bottle of something I managed to pull out of a cooler nearby while I waited. When the water finally came, I drank it down immediately but for the rest of my time there, it was never refilled and was eventually actually taken away before I had even finished with it.

FOOD: I ordered a bagel with cream cheese and a ham & cheese empanada. The bagel was cream cheese was small and average in taste. When other reviewers here note that the bagels are "even better than NY," I can only imagine it has been a long time since they've been to NY. For example, I asked for an "egg bagel" (in fluent Spanish), and they had no clue what it was. If average plain and sesame bagels are what you're looking for, though (and I do admit that, living in Costa Rica away from things we may take for granted like bagels, occasionally that is EXACTLY what I am looking for), then this is your place. The empanada, however, was actually outstanding. I am used to eating empanadas regularly throughout Costa Rica and all of Latin America, but this one was something special. The ham is broken down into chunks instead of slices, and they must use some kind of special spices that give it a really nice kick. I enjoyed it a lot! Finally, I have to say that I did not order a coffee, but I saw how they make coffee...using a Mr. Coffee sort of coffee machine. So if you're looking for anything other than what you could get at any Costa Rican "soda" (basic restaurant), you will not find it here. This is not really a "café" so much as an average pizza/empanada/bagel place.

AMBIANCE: Poor. The place is located right on a major road and a bit away from the center of town where most of the action is. There is nothing else near the location, other than the Tracopa bus stop, which may actually be useful to you if you're busing in or out of Uvita.

VALUE: Average. The prices are reasonable for the food. An empanada is $2, a bagel with cream cheese is about $2.50, and a Poweraid was about $2. These are about the same prices as you'll find elsewhere in Costa Rica (and Uvita) for the same items.

To conclude, when you read these reviews, you're thinking about a place where you can come to get a nice relaxing experience with delicious bagels and coffee on a Sunday morning. This could not be further from the truth. What you get is a very average sort of basic food joint that makes coffee in a Mr. Coffee-like machine and treats you poorly unless you clearly come there frequently. There are better cafés and restaurants located in the center of Uvita that deserve your business much more than this one.

For one very good restaurant (lunch and dinner only) head over to El Sabor in Uvita (see my other reviews). That is some of the best food I've had in a long time, with impeccable service.

1  Thank globe-trotter_2023
Reviewed March 10, 2013

So many delicious pastries. Honestly, i think my sesame bagel with cream cheese was the best bagel I've ever had.