“Nice place to be”
Review of Flutterby House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uvita
Flutterby House
Ranked #1 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Uvita
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

If you want to meet other travelers and gather some information about your travel you will get it there because since they have nice meeting area including kitchen and bar. Cottages are nice and staff is friendly but don't expect meeting locals. Be ready for "eco" showers and toilets.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a beautiful, clever, welcoming, clean and environmentally responsible place! Close to the beach and the famous Whale's Tail. You can rent a surf board, or borrow a bike. It's a short walk or bike ride from small stores and sodas (eateries), although they are close to building their own little restaurant right on site. Love the big communal kitchen so you can bring in your own food and cook to save $$. The bar is very affordable and the lounging areas clean and comfortable. There's even a yoga deck with mats you can use. In addition to the hostel/dorm lodging, the Cabinas are delightful semi-open-air private cabins where you feel like you are in the jungle with the sounds of wildlife around you. Pam et al have done a great job and we wish them much success in the future!

Room Tip: Our favorite is Cabina #1 with a private garden and hammock outside.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Having spent a year travelllng around Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama I found myself short of funds and attempted to get some work at a Hostel. While staying at Galileo hostel in San Jose, recently sold, sadly, as it was the perfect urban hostel, I applied to 2 hostels and chose Flutterby.

My friend and I had tried to stay there when travelling up from Panama but as she had a dog we weren't able to do so. Flutterby does not allow dogs or children as one of their 2 dogs dislikes both!

I was enchanted by the buildings - they are all different designs including 3 treehouses.

I found the staff to be friendly towards me even though most of them were in their 20's or 30's and I'm in my fifties. I arrived just as there was a turnover in staff. As the previous group left they were replaced by new volunteers.

The new volunteers were even more friendly than the previous ones. As I learned the routine from Jen, a long-term volunteer/manager, I was instilled with the Flutterby ethos - take responsibility, fix things that need to be fixed and suggest improvements.

There is a weekly staff meeting that, amongst other things, discusses any problems encountered by the guests, what was done to remedy them and how to improve the system.

The hostel is constantly being changed and improved and I was impressed with the owners' will to do so.

I found that the staff varied in their interaction with the customers; some volunteers just get on well with customers instantly, some are more reticent and would rather hang out with fellow volunteers that they have known for a while than approach people who may only be there a couple of days.

One of the things I noticed with amusement is the number of customers that left Flutterby house then returned. I'm not talking about the next year, I mean the next week or month. Some people just love it that much. The incoming volunteers were told they would be part of the family, and we were. The returning guests became part of the family too.

Of course, to some guests, it's just a hostel by the sea.

It's actually 6 minutes walk from the beach and the beach rates in my top 5 beaches anywhere.

Good for surfing (though I can't - I tried and failed), and the water is so warm. Clean beach, almost no people, millions of palm trees, all the coconuts you can eat. The beach is near perfect. Also a good place to build a fire with fellow travellers and share a few stories.

The hostel backs onto trees and if you don't like Lizards or Boa constrictors you need to keep your door closed! It's back to nature here, guys.

There are no rooms with bathrooms or air conditioning. Use the fans and pee in the back garden if you can't handle the 2-minute walk to the bathroom block.

It's not the Hilton but it's not meant to be. It's an eco-friendly hostel by a beautiful beach in one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

I loved it!

Oh and it has the best kitchen I've ever seen in a hostel!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AnthonyViajero
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was in love with the idea of sleeping in a tree house once and the dream came tue here! It's a wonderful property with various tree houses and a beautiful garden. i loved the tree house: stayed in the 'penthouse' by myself for 3 nights -- a romantic idea but it was a little scary being surrounded by all the animals and their sounds all night but thats what it was all about I guess :)
The common area and also the bathrooms were very nice and always clean but like others mentioned before the experience interacting with the staff/volunteers put me off a bit. They seemed very arrogant at times and didnt always make guests feel welcome there. Met some really nice other travellers though.
They are not providing any food and the next store is a good 15-20min walk. 25mins to the nearest restaurant. They rent bikes but i thought 2 USD for an hour was a little steep (as was the price for the penthouse tree house - 45usd per night). They are currently building a restaurant though so that should be a bonus in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Flutterby House is just about the best hostel I've ever stayed in. The dorms, kitchen, and bathrooms were impeccably clean and well-equipped. What make this place special are all the extras--sofas, library, games, ping pong, slackline, bike rentals, in-house bar with well-priced drinks, and best of all, towels are free to borrow! The hostel is less than five minutes walking from the beach, perfectly situated for exploring the Whale Tail sandbar. The staff was also exceptional--super knowledgable, helpful and friendly. Mike and Holly treated us like family, and everyone genuinely cared that we had a great stay. I recommend this place to everyone looking for a safe and comfortable place to stay in Uvita.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Erika S
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Flutterby was a cool experience, treehouses are fun to climb up into. The rooms were clean for what they were but bugs were everywhere. We had a mosquito net with a big gap in it and be it my imagination or not, I felt like ants were all over me throughout the night. Most hostels we have loved and made some cool friends and acquaintances but here we did not feel very welcome into the "group" of staff who ran the place. Things I enjoyed: scenery and close beach walk. Hammocks and a few fun activities for entertainment (wire walk and ping pong).

Things I wasn't impressed with: the unwelcoming vibe, bathrooms and showers all disconnected from rooms, and bugs were unavoidable.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Malary
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I planned to stay just one night at Flutterby House, but just had to extend our stay.
You feel good the moment you arrive there and you feel surrounded by like souls and nature. We woke with the birds and listened to the magic of their song combined with the haunting sound of the howler monkeys going by in the jungle just outside of the property. We went whale watching and swam in the warm, healthy sea. Took long walks in peace and quiet. We ate excellent organic food from the farmer's market nearby. We slept like babies in our tree house. You will want to extend your stay, too, and be tempted to never leave this very special place on the planet!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple