“Great horses in a fantastic setting”

Rancho La Merced National Wildlife Refuge
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Great horses in a fantastic setting”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

A lovely trip on really well trained and responsive but safe horses. I did the sunset beach ride which included an exhilarating 2km gallop along a deserted beach at sunset. We were also lucky enough to see a spectacled owl and a capuchin monkey on the trail which took us to the beach.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jen W

New York, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Private horseback ride on the beach”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was our second ride of our vacation, and I was so glad we did it. While the tides wouldn't allow for a sunset ride during our stay we were able to do a morning ride. Rancho La Merced kept our reservation private to our group, in this case my boyfriend and I with a guide. We rode out to the beach where we were able to break from the typical nose-to-tail trail ride. We rode side-by-side and galloped a couple times. The horses were great - easy to control but happy to pick up the speed when the rider asks (small nudges with your heels.) And the horses seemed to be very healthy and strong. I loved every minute of it.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Kelly D
Los Angeles, California
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great Horseback Tours”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We continue to return to this lovely Ranch located just of the Costa Nera in the southern zone of the pacific. We have always done the beach rides that take you through some lively areas of the private reserve owned by this family run business. Participants are fitted with a horse based on experience. The guides are very well versed in the local flora and fuana so you will learn lots of info about the area and most guides most speak some English. Once you arrive at the beach, you are free to gallop on a beautiful deserted beach. This is always my kids' favorite part of the ride. When the tour is over and you've returned to the reception, you are welcomed with cool drinks and snacks. As I may have mentioned, we come here every year when we visit Costa Rica, we love it that much.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Baffo1
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent ride along forest and Pacific Ocean!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I am a novice rider but the horses were very well trained and made it easy. The horses were well cared for and in great condition, unlike some other horses that I saw in C.R. The guide was extremely good with my 5 year old daughter and she was able to ride a horse by herself. This a "must do" for anyone that is near Uvita and has any interest in horses. They also do guided hikes and bird watching but I did not do either of these tours (however I suspect they are just as fun).

Visited August 2013
1 Thank gr8fulbeej
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“WOW”
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband just came back from this amazing trip, the horses are very well kept and look healthy, the views, the sky the sea and the forest everything was Perfict.. A must do..

Visited April 2013