Review Highlights
I can surf!

As someone who has never been super comfortable in the ocean, I felt apprehensive about learning... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Ellen M
Bodhi is remarkable!

It's rare to find businesses that embody ethical practices and a commitment to providing a great... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Kiersten B

All reviews yoga classes costa rica life changing amazing week spent a week green waves amazing experience national park pilar community lesson surf ocean confidence
Selected filters
Reviewed March 12, 2016

My partner and I took surfing lessons with Bodhi Surf School in 2013. It was a great experience. High quality instruction, on the most beautiful beach we've ever seen. We've since done surfing lessons with a couple of other places in Costa Rica, and we still consider Bodhi the best. :)

Date of experience: April 2015
achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience, Roanne C! We very much appreciate it. We're glad that we still maintain our position in your books! We hope we will see you again sometime :)

Reviewed March 10, 2016

I have been at Bodhi the third time in 15 months. I think this speaks for itself…
Next to the surfing program I also signed up for the 5 day yoga course. It was an overall incredible experience.
I can not say enough great things about Bodhi, their program, accommodations, food , environmental engagement and especially the people. Love, care and commitment is the main ingredient of running this amazing place.
It feels like home away from home and a place where you can absolutely disconnect, learn how to surf, lose yourself in the sound of the jungle while doing yoga and enjoy the beauty of nature.
Thank you for another unforgettable experience and keep doing what you are doing.

Date of experience: March 2016

cubi_100! Thank you so much for taking the time (yet again) to write about your time at Bodhi Surf School. We're glad you took part in Bodhi Sessions this past trip, and got the "full experience" with yoga, surfing, food, community engagement, environmental awareness, etc. We had such a blast with you girls and look forward to your future visit[s]!! :D

Reviewed March 7, 2016

I can't say enough positive things about this surf school. They have covered all the bases from the location to the property, and it is topped of with a truly great surf instructor. Thanks again for walking us through a small slice of your curriculum, Gibran!

Date of experience: February 2016
achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2016

Thanks for this review, Dusty C! We're stoked to hear that you enjoyed the surfing lesson with Gibran. We hope to see you down here again... perhaps for a surfing and yoga vacation next time, to go through the whole curriculum? :)

-Bodhi Surf School

Reviewed March 3, 2016

Travis and Pilar were such amazing hosts. While working with them at Bodhi, I learned a lot about the environmental initiatives they had taken on, locally, and what I could do back home. They are such an inspiration and a wonderful presence to be around. Bodhi is an excellent business in that it helps you fuel your passions while learning to do so sustainably. Bodhi is an intimate, peaceful place to be and I hope to return someday.

Date of experience: February 2016

Hayley E — thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with Bodhi Surf School here in Bahia Ballena. We're so glad that you felt that you learned something, and have something to take home with you. We definitely hope to see you down here again someday!

Reviewed March 1, 2016

Bodhi surf was great. We did five days of surfing lessons. It was me, my wife and two boys ages 10 and 6. My 10 year old was so keen that Travis kept him with the adults and the 6 year old got special one-on-one lessons. He felt really special and like he learned a lot during our week.

The 10 year old worked as hard as the adults, and we went to bed tired each night. Travis taught us the theory and knowledge needed to surf for real on our own rather than just taking us out and getting us to stand up. We did get to standing up on the first day, and the rest of the lessons involved learning to paddle out, learning to duck under waves, where and how to sit on the surfboard in order to catch waves and then attempting to catch the green waves rather than surfing the whitewash.

Overall this was a better week of surf lessons than I could have imagined. Travis even brought his 5 year old daughter for several days to play with our son. He loved that. I would recommend this company to everyone.

Date of experience: February 2016

Brian-and-Bevin — thank you so much for taking the time to write about you and your family's surfing experience with Travis and Bodhi Surf School. We're so glad the class style resonated with you guys, and that you enjoyed not just the practice but also all of the theory! Also, thank you for your wonderful recommendation. We very much hope to see you guys down here again in the future! :)