Review Highlights
I can surf!

As someone who has never been super comfortable in the ocean, I felt apprehensive about learning... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Ellen M
Bodhi is remarkable!

It's rare to find businesses that embody ethical practices and a commitment to providing a great... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Kiersten B

All reviews yoga classes costa rica life changing amazing week spent a week green waves amazing experience national park pilar community lesson surf ocean confidence
Selected filters
Reviewed February 8, 2016

We spent a week at Bodhi and did 5 surf lessons and 5 yoga sessions. We were beginners at surfing, but Travis was an excellent teacher and was very patient with us. We really enjoyed the format of the surfing lessons, where we spent time on land first practicing the skills before going out into the water. As part of the lessons, we also learned about how waves are formed and about the natural environment around us. The beach where we surfed was one of the most beautiful we have seen, with spectacular views of the mountains and not many people.

The yoga classes led by Pilar were excellent. The classes were held outdoors in a beautiful covered space, where we could hear birds and other sounds of nature during our sessions. It was a very peaceful setting.

The accommodations where we stayed were very clean and new. We liked the Bungalow Espiritu and its use of natural light and high ceilings with great ventilation to promote airflow.

There was definitely a focus on environmental conservation at Bodhi. We had a fascinating tour of the community as well as great massages as part of our package. Overall, we had an amazing experience at Bodhi and we would highly recommend it!

Date of experience: February 2016
achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2016

Megan W — thank you so much for taking the time to write about your Bodhi Surf experience. We're so stoked to hear that the surf lesson format was conducive to learning, and that you felt the progress — we certainly noted it! We're also glad you enjoyed the other aspects of your stay: the yoga classes and space, the lodge, your massages & community walking tour, etc. We hope to see you back here again!

Reviewed January 24, 2016

My husband and I visited Bodhi last year and knew we had to go back with our two kids (ages 4 and 8) this year. I do not typically return to places in this world that I have previously visited because there are just too many amazing things to see with such little time to do it all. However, Bodhi creates the exception! Why, you ask? It's because my experience there fulfills me physically and spiritually. I walk away wanting to be a better person and feeling motivated to continue or begin new practices that make me, my family, and the world I live in a healthier place to live. Simply put, visiting Bodhi is good for my soul!

The amazing foursome of Bodhi owners (Gibran, Adrianne, Travis, Pilar) are some of the most top-notch people you will ever meet. They do not settle for "just" running a surf school and yoga classes. They are constantly dreaming up ways to create an experience for guests that educates, challenges, and fulfills. This is all done with an intentional focus on improving the quality of the community they call home. One example of many is their offering of yoga to community members in exchange for community service hours. Another example is their traveler's philanthropy program where they support local organizations by contributing a portion of their profit. They do all this in the midst of providing high quality surf and yoga instruction!

As I mentioned, this trip to Bodhi was different for us because we brought our family. We didn't know what to expect from this, other than knowing it would be very different from being there as a couple only. Rather than walking everywhere, we did have to rely on a car a bit more. We also had to adjust our expectations about the intensity of our surf and yoga sessions. We still surfed five times and did five yoga classes, but a couple of each were done "family style". Family yoga, in particular, melted my heart! I will forever remember the gratitude and awareness circles--thanks Pilar! We immensely appreciate the Bodhi instructors' willingness to be so adaptable and flexible, especially in those times when kids just wanted to be kids in nature.

I could go on and on! The accommodations are beautiful, the food is amazing, and the people are some of the best you will ever meet. I will forever recommend Bodhi as the trip of a lifetime. We will be back!

Date of experience: January 2016

Oh man, BobLisaBurton — what a review! Every time we read your wonderful words, it brings a smile to our faces. Thank you SO SO SO much for a) taking the time to write these honest and very kind words about Bodhi Surf School, b) using your precious time off to come down here for a second time, c) bringing your kids down this time to share this experience with them! We had such a wonderful time with you guys, as we always do, and just for the record, we want you to know how much your family inspires us as well. We're so happy to have met you guys and know that we will be seeing you all again — either in our neighborhood or yours! :D

Reviewed January 18, 2016

This was our 1st trip to Costa Rica, I picked Bodhi Surf School from a friend's recommendation who also had an awesome time staying with them, we chose the bodhi sessions. It was more than what I had expected, the people are so sweet, mindful, and knowledgable. You truly feel like a family member upon arrival. Not only did we have awesome yoga classes and rad surf lessons (a lot of standing, a lot of falling, a lot of fun), we also had the BEST food (I'm still trying to recreate these recipes at home). They were also really helpful when it came to planning other nearby activities for when we had some free time, we chose the SUP tour and hiking, there's A LOT to do in this area, but we could have honestly spent all our free time at bodhi or at the beach surfing. Cant wait to go back

Date of experience: January 2016

Thank you so much for your wonderful words, Amanda S! We're so glad our mutual friend sent you guys our way — we had a lot of fun hanging out with the two of you over meals, watching you progress on the surfboard and yoga mat, and getting to know you a little bit! We sincerely hope that you will be back for another round! Pura Vida :)

Reviewed January 12, 2016

The instructors are not excellent surf & yoga instructors, but educators about the ocean, environment, lifestyle, sustainability and so much else. I had a fantastic time doing it all: surfing, yoga, and learning about the community.

Date of experience: January 2016

Hey Kurt R! Thanks for your kind words about Bodhi Surf School, our surfing and yoga, community and education model. We also greatly enjoyed working with you and your group (as we do every year)!

Reviewed January 12, 2016

This was the second time I led a group of 20 undergraduate college students from the US on a short-term study-abroad trip in Costa Rica. The Bodhi surf and yoga crew provided excellent care. Without their thoughtful assistance, we would not have gotten half as much out of our magical time in Bahia Ballena. We learned, we performed community service, we surfed, we played soccer with locals, and we practiced yoga. All members of the group left with a love of Uvita, an appreciation for the concept of mindfulness, and a great sense of gratitude. I look forward to our next visit!

Date of experience: January 2016

suzannemrivera — Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your Bodhi Surf! We're glad to hear that our services were well received by your group. Thank you for your kind words about the surfing, yoga, and our community! We very much look forward to working with you again in the future. Pura Vida!