“So much fun!!”

Bodhi Surf School
Ranked #1 of 3 Spas & Wellness in Uvita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bodhi Surf School focuses on community engaged yoga and surf vacations and retreats for individuals, couples, families, and small groups. Our goal is to teach you the theory, proper technique, and safety to have you surfing or doing yoga independently. At the Bodhi Shamabala Yoga Center, we have weekly Vinyasa Flow classes and also offer private yoga classes. Bodhi Surf is committed to incorporating sustainable business practices into our everyday operations. We love to share information on our area, both on the community of Bahia Ballena and the Marino Ballena National Park where we give our surf lessons and clinics. We also offer service learning for organized student groups interested in finding out more about Costa Rica. Above all, we aim to "awaken your inner surfer" and provide you with unique experiences that you will never forget.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Mobile, Alabama
“So much fun!!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I took SUP lessons with Gibran while on vacation to Costa Rica in September, 2013. The only day that we were able to take lessons happened to be the first day of the Whale Festival which was held at the National Park and meant that Gibran had to make arrangements for us to travel to a private beach for lessons. He simply could have opted not to take the time and effort to accommodate us, but he went out of his way to do so.

We are an older couple and so didn't do as well on the SUP's as the 20-somethings would have done, but he never gave up on us. He was professional, knowledgeable and quite enjoyable to hang out with. We had a fabulous time. And thanks to him, I hope to be buying an SUP in the springtime. He helped me gain the confidence to take on the challenge!

Because we are planning a trip back to CR in 2014, we asked Pilar if we could view the bungalow that they have available for rent. The bungalow was very nice, well-organized and furnished comfortably. She was very gracious -- taking her time to answer all our questions about the bungalow, her Yoga classes and every other question we had about the area! You will leave CR knowing you left friends behind....

Definitely visit Bodhi Surf School......it is a MUST! We can't wait to return to Costa Rica and we will definitely be visiting Bodhi Surf School and our friends again!

Visited September 2013
BodhiSurfSchool, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Hello Barbara_AR! We are so energized to learn that thanks to our instructor Gibran you hope to be buying an SUP in the springtime. It is so pleasing to know that we helped you gain the confidence to take on the challenge of SUPing. We look forward to your return and hope to have availability in the bungalow for you, family and friends. Keep in touch amigos! Kind Regards from Team Bodhi Surf.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Wonderful, relaxing spot”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent a couple of evenings lodging with Travis and his wife Pilar at Bodhi surf. Despite just opening the bungalow, we found it extremely well furnished and organized. I would recommend Bodhi surf to any couples or small families that are active and enjoy learning about the local community and wildlife. The surfing lesson (with Travis) and yoga (with Pilar) was personalized, professional, and relaxed. Loved it. We'll be back!

Visited October 2013
BodhiSurfSchool, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing to lodge, surf and practice yoga with us Blake H! We are happy to learn that you found the Bodhi Bungalow to be extremely well furnished and organized. It also pleases us greatly to know you would recommend Bodhi Surf to any couples or small families that are active and enjoy learning about the local community and wildlife. We look forward to your future stay with us! All the best - Team Bodhi Surf
Baltimore, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Excellent yoga in awesome setting”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I took three yoga classes with Pilar while on my honeymoon in Costa Rica: two group classes, and one private. I've been practicing yoga for six years, and I found Pilar to be wonderfully attentive to detail and had an exceptional way of making the minor adjustments that completely change the feeling of the pose. The classes are physical, but PIlar's emphasis is truly on yoga as a way of life, not merely an "exercise class," which I appreciate.

The setting is also pretty incredible, with a covered platform on the 2nd story that is open to the air on all sides. For someone who is used to practicing in Boston or New York City studios, doing yoga at sunset in the open air (sometimes with thunderstorms providing great lightning flashes in the distance) is a truly awesome experience.

I didn't have the chance to meet the rest of the staff, but would feel extremely comfortable recommending any activity from Bodhi--it is a real gem.

Visited September 2013
BodhiSurfSchool, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Stephanie, Hola! nice to hear from you again and thank you very much for your kind review. I am truly glad you enjoyed the classes and it was great to meet you! and share the practice of yoga with you.

Best wishes and lots of blessings in your new journey! hope our paths will cross again in the future.

Namaste!

Team Bodhi
Miami, Florida, United States
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was my first time doing surf, and i had a great experience! I thought I couldn't be able to stand up, but Travis was very patient, helpful, and supportive. We've couldn't choose a better company to work on this enjoyable experience. We learned how to manage an extreme sport and we had an amazing time! Thank you Travis and bodhisurfschool.

Visited September 2013
BodhiSurfSchool, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for visiting us Zeilin D! We enjoyed sharing our passion and watching you progress rapidly. We also truly hope you continue to surf back home and share the stoke with others. Thanks again for choosing to surf with us and we hope to see you in the near future! Cheers! - Team Bodhi Surf
Sanford, North Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Bohdi Surf School is SO special.”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My family and I visited Uvita (our new favorite place in the world) in early August.

My husband and I had the opportunity to take surf lessons with Gibran at Bodhi Surf School.

Upon arrival, we learned just how special Bohdi is. Their "campus", complete with a yoga room that I am dying to go back and try out, is gorgeous and settled in the heart of Uvita. Not only are their surf lessons amazing, but the whole crew is dedicated to giving back to the Uvita community and environment in everything that they do.

Gibran was AMAZING - I can't overstate this. I was a little reserved about taking surf lessons - it seemed, from observation, to be a lot of work for little reward. I was absolutely wrong! It was a blast and so peaceful at the same time. Gibran was so kind to us. His expertise, not only in surfing but in instructing others to surf, was apparent. He was such a joy to be around and his patience was greatly appreciated. I could not imagine a better experience.

We are already looking forward to our next trip!

When in and around Uvita, please go see the folks at Bohdi. Get Gibran to give you a lesson in Costa Rica and surfing. It will be your favorite part of your trip!!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank meg2405
BodhiSurfSchool, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We are so stoked to hear that you think we are AMAZING meg2405! Your kind words that express your experience with us: patience, kindness, peaceful, dedicated to giving back, joy to be around, etc. are the characteristics that we strive to achieve. Our mission is to provide memorable travel experiences that facilitate learning through exposure to the people and environment of the place we call home and we feel that was definitely achieved. We look forward to your return visit! Pura Vida from Team Bodhi Surf!