“Wonderful, relaxing spot”

Bodhi Surf School
Ranked #1 of 4 Spas & Wellness in Uvita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bodhi Surf School focuses on community engaged yoga and surf vacations and retreats for individuals, couples, families, and small groups. Our goal is to teach you the theory, proper technique, and safety to have you surfing or doing yoga independently. At the Bodhi Shamabala Yoga Center, we have weekly Vinyasa Flow classes and also offer private yoga classes. Bodhi Surf is committed to incorporating sustainable business practices into our everyday operations. We love to share information on our area, both on the community of Bahia Ballena and the Marino Ballena National Park where we give our surf lessons and clinics. We also offer service learning for organized student groups interested in finding out more about Costa Rica. Above all, we aim to "awaken your inner surfer" and provide you with unique experiences that you will never forget.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent a couple of evenings lodging with Travis and his wife Pilar at Bodhi surf. Despite just opening the bungalow, we found it extremely well furnished and organized. I would recommend Bodhi surf to any couples or small families that are active and enjoy learning about the local community and wildlife. The surfing lesson (with Travis) and yoga (with Pilar) was personalized, professional, and relaxed. Loved it. We'll be back!

BodhiSurfSchool, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for choosing to lodge, surf and practice yoga with us Blake H! We are happy to learn that you found the Bodhi Bungalow to be extremely well furnished and organized. It also pleases us greatly to know you would recommend Bodhi Surf to any couples or small families that are active and enjoy learning about the local community and wildlife. We look forward to your future stay with us! All the best - Team Bodhi Surf

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I took three yoga classes with Pilar while on my honeymoon in Costa Rica: two group classes, and one private. I've been practicing yoga for six years, and I found Pilar to be wonderfully attentive to detail and had an exceptional way of making the minor adjustments that completely change the feeling of the pose. The classes are physical, but PIlar's emphasis is truly on yoga as a way of life, not merely an "exercise class," which I appreciate.

The setting is also pretty incredible, with a covered platform on the 2nd story that is open to the air on all sides. For someone who is used to practicing in Boston or New York City studios, doing yoga at sunset in the open air (sometimes with thunderstorms providing great lightning flashes in the distance) is a truly awesome experience.

I didn't have the chance to meet the rest of the staff, but would feel extremely comfortable recommending any activity from Bodhi--it is a real gem.

BodhiSurfSchool, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Stephanie, Hola! nice to hear from you again and thank you very much for your kind review. I am truly glad you enjoyed the classes and it was great to meet you! and share the practice of yoga with you.

Best wishes and lots of blessings in your new journey! hope our paths will cross again in the future.

Namaste!

Team Bodhi

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was my first time doing surf, and i had a great experience! I thought I couldn't be able to stand up, but Travis was very patient, helpful, and supportive. We've couldn't choose a better company to work on this enjoyable experience. We learned how to manage an extreme sport and we had an amazing time! Thank you Travis and bodhisurfschool.

BodhiSurfSchool, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for visiting us Zeilin D! We enjoyed sharing our passion and watching you progress rapidly. We also truly hope you continue to surf back home and share the stoke with others. Thanks again for choosing to surf with us and we hope to see you in the near future! Cheers! - Team Bodhi Surf

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My family and I visited Uvita (our new favorite place in the world) in early August.

My husband and I had the opportunity to take surf lessons with Gibran at Bodhi Surf School.

Upon arrival, we learned just how special Bohdi is. Their "campus", complete with a yoga room that I am dying to go back and try out, is gorgeous and settled in the heart of Uvita. Not only are their surf lessons amazing, but the whole crew is dedicated to giving back to the Uvita community and environment in everything that they do.

Gibran was AMAZING - I can't overstate this. I was a little reserved about taking surf lessons - it seemed, from observation, to be a lot of work for little reward. I was absolutely wrong! It was a blast and so peaceful at the same time. Gibran was so kind to us. His expertise, not only in surfing but in instructing others to surf, was apparent. He was such a joy to be around and his patience was greatly appreciated. I could not imagine a better experience.

We are already looking forward to our next trip!

When in and around Uvita, please go see the folks at Bohdi. Get Gibran to give you a lesson in Costa Rica and surfing. It will be your favorite part of your trip!!

2  Thank meg2405
BodhiSurfSchool, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

We are so stoked to hear that you think we are AMAZING meg2405! Your kind words that express your experience with us: patience, kindness, peaceful, dedicated to giving back, joy to be around, etc. are the characteristics that we strive to achieve. Our mission is to provide memorable travel experiences that facilitate learning through exposure to the people and environment of the place we call home and we feel that was definitely achieved. We look forward to your return visit! Pura Vida from Team Bodhi Surf!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I spent a month this summer in Bahía, and throughout the month participated in various Bodhi Surf School activities. First off, I enjoyed every minute of my time with Bodhi, but my main takeaway from Bodhi Surf School is their philosophy of education. This is particularly important in a place as special as the Marino Ballena National Park—a place that deserves the most careful form of protection.

The education aspect of Bodhi comes through in surf, yoga, standup paddle and a community tour. Take a surf lesson and you will learn about the park, the tides, and how waves work. The community walk around the town teaches you about the setup of a typical Costa Rican town and the unique history of Bahía.

While I had done surf lessons elsewhere in the past, my experience with Bodhi was much more personal and directed at individual skills. I improved an incredible amount within one lesson. I also think it is special that Bodhi employs locals as surf instructors and gives lessons to local kids. It is always nice to support or be involved with a company that follows through on giving back to the community.

For me, stand-up-paddling was really exciting, and very relaxing. I had done it briefly before, but nothing like this. We paddled out to the tip of the whale tail shaped sand bar where we snorkeled in the coral reef. I had to stop every once in a while to take everything in. Looking towards the shore, I saw the spectrum from the blue sky, to mountains, the jungle, to the beach, and finally the ocean.

I also highly recommend taking the community tour soon after arriving in Bahía. It is short as the town is not that large, but it gives you perspective on where you are and the people that live in the town. In my opinion, that is an important part of responsible tourism.

Finally, yoga with Pilar was always special. Not only is she an attentive teacher who obviously pays attention to each and every student, the location is absolutely beautiful. I recommend going to an evening class so you can watch the sunset.

If you are looking for a visit to Costa Rica where you will experience all the adventure activities, with added education and personal relationships with the owners and employees, Bodhi is your best bet. Thanks for some incredible experiences I will never forget!

1  Thank Margaret W

Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth review Margaret W. We are inspired by your words and pleased to learn that you valued the educational and community engaged surfing experiences we offered. We love learning, teaching and sharing and will continue to always engage our guests with educational opportunities. Thank you for choosing Bodhi Surf for your activities and we hope to see you again soon! Saludos from Team Bodhi Surf.