“Great First Surfing Experience”
Review of Bodhi Surf School

Bodhi Surf School
Ranked #1 of 3 Spas & Wellness in Uvita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bodhi Surf School focuses on community engaged yoga and surf vacations and retreats for individuals, couples, families, and small groups. Our goal is to teach you the theory, proper technique, and safety to have you surfing or doing yoga independently. At the Bodhi Shamabala Yoga Center, we have weekly Vinyasa Flow classes and also offer private yoga classes. Bodhi Surf is committed to incorporating sustainable business practices into our everyday operations. We love to share information on our area, both on the community of Bahia Ballena and the Marino Ballena National Park where we give our surf lessons and clinics. We also offer service learning for organized student groups interested in finding out more about Costa Rica. Above all, we aim to "awaken your inner surfer" and provide you with unique experiences that you will never forget.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great First Surfing Experience”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I really can't think of a better teacher for our first surfing lesson than Gibran. My boyfriend and I were super pumped to try surfing, but neither one of us had any idea what we were doing. Gibran gave us very good instructions and stayed with us the entire time out in the ocean, guiding us through the motions and sending us on our merry way when a good wave came along. We both had a blast thanks to Gibran AND we both were able to stand up on our boards! I would recommend Bodhi Surf School to anyone traveling in the area. Gibran really knows what he is doing and is very personable to boot.

Many thanks!

Liz & Yale

Visited April 2013
achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words, ems08! We're pleased to hear that you had a positive surf experience in Bahia Ballena, and that Bodhi Surf School met your expectations! We hope that you feel confident in the water and with a surf board after your lesson with us. Please don't hesitate to contact us in the future if you are ever back in the area! Take care :)

Springfield, Massachusetts
“Amazing!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

When I told friends I was going to Costa Rica for a week, they asked, "so, you going to surf?" What a good idea, I thought! I sent an e-mail through Bodhi's website and was contacted very quickly by Gibran. We scheduled a lesson; however, our travel plans were interrupted by some traffic issues. Gibran was more than accommodating in rescheduling us for the next day. Gibran is both an excellent instructor and a wonderful guy. He spent two days with us, was incredibly patient and also genuinely happy when he saw us making progress. I never saw him without a smile on his face and he was always there with both encouragement and tips. On our second day, my partner took a break and Gibran grabbed the board. I felt honored to surf with him! I'm absolutely hooked, due in large part to Gibran! I recommend Bodhi Surf School without hesitation!

achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you, sampista, for taking the time to write about your experience with Bodhi Surf School - and Gibran feels very flattered about your kind words! We're so glad to hear that the lesson, from planning to execution, was a good experience for you and your partner. We're also stoked to hear that there is another person hooked to surfing! We hope that you guys will be back for round 2. Pura vida!

Laval, Canada
“Hooked to Surfing!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My friend and I had a great introduction to surfing. Great weather, easy waves and an excellent instructor in Gibran. I used to think that the beach was not for me..until I tried surfing. I am hooked and can't wait to get back on a board. Gibran was able to have two rookies surf by the end of a two hour session. I can only imagine what I could do after a full week..a week long surf camp is now on the bucket list.

achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
SebastienCC: We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your surf lesson and that Gibran was able to help you guys get up and riding! It is definitely an addictive sport, isn't it! We hope that you'll be be back, perhaps for that week long surf camp that is now on your bucket list! Take care, and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience :)

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“So much fun! A highlight of our trip!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We loved learning to surf in Marina Ballena National Park with Bodhi Surf. There were only two of us in the lesson, and Gibran made sure to make it fun, safe and informative. We both got up on our board and had a fantastic time. Thanks!

Visited April 2013
achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hi Rachael C... thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We're very glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Marino Ballena National Park, and that you found the lesson "fun, safe, and informative" - that's exactly what we're trying to accomplish in our lessons, so that's great to hear. We hope that you will be back again for more surfing some day! Take care :)

Montreal, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very unique!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were two busy mothers having a "kiddy break" and we did surf to relax!
It worked really well, Gibran was telling us about the place, the surf and the Bodhi.
We had a great moment and yes we did it, we surfed in an amazing place with an excellent instructor. Thanks a lot and can't wait to go back for more surf!!

Visited March 2013
AnnieC944 - Thank you so much for your very kind words. We're so stoked that you guys were able to have your "kiddy break" and get some time in the water learning how to surf! You both did so well in the water, and we're so glad that you found it enjoyable too. We hope that you are able to do more surfing in the future, and definitely let us know if you are in the area again. Pura Vida!