“Just what I needed”

Bodhi Surf School
Ranked #1 of 4 Spas & Wellness in Uvita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bodhi Surf School focuses on community engaged yoga and surf vacations and retreats for individuals, couples, families, and small groups. Our goal is to teach you the theory, proper technique, and safety to have you surfing or doing yoga independently. At the Bodhi Shamabala Yoga Center, we have weekly Vinyasa Flow classes and also offer private yoga classes. Bodhi Surf is committed to incorporating sustainable business practices into our everyday operations. We love to share information on our area, both on the community of Bahia Ballena and the Marino Ballena National Park where we give our surf lessons and clinics. We also offer service learning for organized student groups interested in finding out more about Costa Rica. Above all, we aim to "awaken your inner surfer" and provide you with unique experiences that you will never forget.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Gibran and Adrianne were both really friendly and taught us importance of the ocean, mountains and the special place we were surfing. I had tried surfing a few times before without success, and this time I got up and rode a few waves in until I was just too tired for more. We had a great time and will go see them again next time I'm down that way.

achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with Bodhi Surf in Marino Ballena National Park, Sean F. We had lots of fun with you guys and you were all awesome! We're so glad that you appreciated the beach portion of the lesson too. We can't wait to see you guys down here again! Pura Vida...

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Going stand up paddle boarding with the folks at Bodhi Surf guarantees you a fabulous day. To be out on the open water gives you such an amazing view of one of Costa Rica's most beautiful beaches. I was in awe all day. Looking into the clear water and seeing different fish, coral, jellyfish and more was so neat to experience. The paddle boarding itself was excellent exercise that seemed effortless to achieve. You are just having too much fun to think you're getting a workout. The instructors are super nice, friendly and real. They were so fun to hang out with in the calm waters of the Whale's tail. You can tell they love what they do and want others to get to experience it for themselves. We had a blast floating around, trying out yoga poses and falling/jumping off the boards all afternoon. I would definitely do this again and again if I could. I'll never forget our day out on the water!!!

achandrahuff, Manager at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Terri R... thank you for your kind words! We're stoked that you enjoyed SUPing in Uvita so much: the actual paddling, the scenery, and the "play time" in the bay. SUP is our newest activity so feedback like yours is very helpful in making the tour the best that it can be! We hope to have you join us for another SUP session in the future. Pura vida!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We just came back from our one week babymoon trip in Uvita, Costa Rica. I first contacted Bodhi Surf School, wanting to sign up my husband up some surf lessons. Gibran promptly gave me detailed explanations every time I emailed him a bunch of questions. After some email exchanges, we ended up booking my husband's surf lessons (two mornings), my prenatal yoga lessons (two afternoons), and the rest of the trip with BSS. We usually travel independently, so we were first hesitant to buy a travel package. But it turned out their price was reasonable, the trip was custom-made just for us, and it took a lot of hassle out of our trip planning without taking away the fun of discovering things on our own.

My husband's surf lessons were one-on-one with Gibran, and he had a great time. I had my private prenatal yoga lessons with Pilar (who recently had a baby herself, and was very knowledgeable) at the beautiful yoga pavilion at Cusinga Lodge, where we were staying. Both Gibran and Pilar are not only excellent teachers but warm and caring people who make you feel like you are part of their BSS family. We booked our snorkeling trip through BSS, and originally, Gibran and Pilar were worried that I (at 4 months pregnant) might overheat on the trip. I felt ok but they were flexible enough to move it to a few days later so that I could get used to the heat.

We highly recommend Bodhi Surf School for their surf lessons, yoga classes, vacation packages in Uvita. They will take a good care of you. Just don't forget to wear sunscreen.

achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

We're so glad to hear that you and your husband had an enjoyable experience in the Costa Ballena area, and with Bodhi Surf School, akuy123. We definitely understand the appeal of independent travel, so we are STOKED to hear that having Bodhi Surf help you plan your trip made it more hassle-free, and that it was the right decision for you two. It is also great to hear that the surf clinic and prenatal yoga classes were so well received, and that you felt taken care of and like "part of the Bodhi Surf School family". It's very gratifying for us to hear, because that's exactly how we feel! We hope that your family will be able to visit us again in the future for some more surf and yoga! Take care :)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

January marked our sixth trip to Costa Rica. Each trip we seek out a surf lesson with a guide to ensure a positive experience. Our best experience has been with Bodhi Surf School (Gibran was our instructor). It was by far the best lesson we ever had! Gibran was easy going, patient, and a great communicator, so he was able to point many things out to us regarding our surfing styles in a positive way. After our lesson we both felt that we learned more with Gibran than we did from all our other lessons combined. Not only was it a great lesson, but we learned a lot more about the Uvita area from Gibran. The Uvita area has been our favorite location for surfing also. The beaches (several to choose from) are beautiful, unspoiled and not crowded. Bodhi picks the best beach that day, depending on the types of waves. My wife, who is not a strong swimmer nor a lover of water, had a great experience as well, and will do it again. We'll be back for more surfing with Bodhi Surf School!!

Thank you so much for your awesome recommendation, Plaidman63! We're stoked to hear that you consistently have great experiences in the Uvita area; it really is the perfect place to perfect one's surfing skills. We're also so glad to hear that your lesson with Bodhi Surf School was so beneficial to you and your wife, and that even though you guys had prior surf experience, you were still able to learn and develop your technique with us. We sincerely hope that you will indeed be back for more surfing! Pura vida :)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had the pleasure of meeting Travis and Pilar, thru Kath who has known them for years. Travis took us surfing (I am a beginner) and was very patient and supportive in teaching me the basics.
I also took yoga from his wife Pilar. We did the Yoga, while the birds were singing in the background, it was a great experience. Travis, an American who lives in Costa Rica is also very active in the local community, which adds another dimension to visit their school (something that you don't get from other commercial outfits). Of course, you can do do just surfing or just yoga.
They have excellent website:

achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you, ShlomoW2012, for taking the time to write about your experience with Bodhi Surf School! We're so glad that you enjoyed your surf lesson and yoga class, and that you found our instructors to be patient and supportive. As you mentioned, while we teach both surfing and yoga, one can choose to do one or the other (though we do think they are two activities that complement each other very well)! We hope that you will be back in the Uvita area at some point to do it all again! Pura vida...