“Surf & yoga school and more”
Review of Bodhi Surf School

Bodhi Surf School
Ranked #1 of 3 Spas & Wellness in Uvita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bodhi Surf School focuses on community engaged yoga and surf vacations and retreats for individuals, couples, families, and small groups. Our goal is to teach you the theory, proper technique, and safety to have you surfing or doing yoga independently. At the Bodhi Shamabala Yoga Center, we have weekly Vinyasa Flow classes and also offer private yoga classes. Bodhi Surf is committed to incorporating sustainable business practices into our everyday operations. We love to share information on our area, both on the community of Bahia Ballena and the Marino Ballena National Park where we give our surf lessons and clinics. We also offer service learning for organized student groups interested in finding out more about Costa Rica. Above all, we aim to "awaken your inner surfer" and provide you with unique experiences that you will never forget.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Palo Alto, California
“Surf & yoga school and more”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We just came back from our one week babymoon trip in Uvita, Costa Rica. I first contacted Bodhi Surf School, wanting to sign up my husband up some surf lessons. Gibran promptly gave me detailed explanations every time I emailed him a bunch of questions. After some email exchanges, we ended up booking my husband's surf lessons (two mornings), my prenatal yoga lessons (two afternoons), and the rest of the trip with BSS. We usually travel independently, so we were first hesitant to buy a travel package. But it turned out their price was reasonable, the trip was custom-made just for us, and it took a lot of hassle out of our trip planning without taking away the fun of discovering things on our own.

My husband's surf lessons were one-on-one with Gibran, and he had a great time. I had my private prenatal yoga lessons with Pilar (who recently had a baby herself, and was very knowledgeable) at the beautiful yoga pavilion at Cusinga Lodge, where we were staying. Both Gibran and Pilar are not only excellent teachers but warm and caring people who make you feel like you are part of their BSS family. We booked our snorkeling trip through BSS, and originally, Gibran and Pilar were worried that I (at 4 months pregnant) might overheat on the trip. I felt ok but they were flexible enough to move it to a few days later so that I could get used to the heat.

We highly recommend Bodhi Surf School for their surf lessons, yoga classes, vacation packages in Uvita. They will take a good care of you. Just don't forget to wear sunscreen.

Visited February 2013
achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
We're so glad to hear that you and your husband had an enjoyable experience in the Costa Ballena area, and with Bodhi Surf School, akuy123. We definitely understand the appeal of independent travel, so we are STOKED to hear that having Bodhi Surf help you plan your trip made it more hassle-free, and that it was the right decision for you two. It is also great to hear that the surf clinic and prenatal yoga classes were so well received, and that you felt taken care of and like "part of the Bodhi Surf School family". It's very gratifying for us to hear, because that's exactly how we feel! We hope that your family will be able to visit us again in the future for some more surf and yoga! Take care :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best surf lesson yet!!!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

January marked our sixth trip to Costa Rica. Each trip we seek out a surf lesson with a guide to ensure a positive experience. Our best experience has been with Bodhi Surf School (Gibran was our instructor). It was by far the best lesson we ever had! Gibran was easy going, patient, and a great communicator, so he was able to point many things out to us regarding our surfing styles in a positive way. After our lesson we both felt that we learned more with Gibran than we did from all our other lessons combined. Not only was it a great lesson, but we learned a lot more about the Uvita area from Gibran. The Uvita area has been our favorite location for surfing also. The beaches (several to choose from) are beautiful, unspoiled and not crowded. Bodhi picks the best beach that day, depending on the types of waves. My wife, who is not a strong swimmer nor a lover of water, had a great experience as well, and will do it again. We'll be back for more surfing with Bodhi Surf School!!

Visited January 2013
Thank you so much for your awesome recommendation, Plaidman63! We're stoked to hear that you consistently have great experiences in the Uvita area; it really is the perfect place to perfect one's surfing skills. We're also so glad to hear that your lesson with Bodhi Surf School was so beneficial to you and your wife, and that even though you guys had prior surf experience, you were still able to learn and develop your technique with us. We sincerely hope that you will indeed be back for more surfing! Pura vida :)

Sunnyvale, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Excellent place to combine surfing with yoga”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had the pleasure of meeting Travis and Pilar, thru Kath who has known them for years. Travis took us surfing (I am a beginner) and was very patient and supportive in teaching me the basics.
I also took yoga from his wife Pilar. We did the Yoga, while the birds were singing in the background, it was a great experience. Travis, an American who lives in Costa Rica is also very active in the local community, which adds another dimension to visit their school (something that you don't get from other commercial outfits). Of course, you can do do just surfing or just yoga.
They have excellent website:

Visited December 2012
achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you, ShlomoW2012, for taking the time to write about your experience with Bodhi Surf School! We're so glad that you enjoyed your surf lesson and yoga class, and that you found our instructors to be patient and supportive. As you mentioned, while we teach both surfing and yoga, one can choose to do one or the other (though we do think they are two activities that complement each other very well)! We hope that you will be back in the Uvita area at some point to do it all again! Pura vida...

Hamburg, Germany
“Great refresher course with Gibran”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

In Cahuita - basically the other side of Costa Rica - I got Bodhi Surf School recommended by a fellow traveller, who also stayed at Cascada Verde Hostel and did his surf lesson with Bodhi.
After arriving in Uvita I e-mailed and asked to join a group lesson and got immediate reply.
I asked for a group lesson and then - when meeting Gribran for going to the beach - the big surprise: I was the group!

He gave me short but thorough introduction and then we spent the rest of the time in the water. I did a course two years ago, but nothing compared to this one... Gibran spent two hours with me in the water, with lots of explaining and helping me through quite some waves so that I was able to carry on by myself two days later and later in Santa Teresa.

What I also really liked is that Bodhi Surf takes it seriously with supporting the nature reserve. The 'must' before getting to the water was paying the park fee (included in course fees).

Oh, another thing... I was wondering why the well tanned Gibran put on sunscreen 60. I should have followed, because I looked like a lobster next day. So please, don't underestimate the sun ;-)

Take care and enjoy the time in Uvita

Visited January 2013
achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with Bodhi Surf School, someoneabroad, we really appreciate your kind words. We are also very glad to hear that the lesson was beneficial for you, as someone who had prior surfing experience, and that it made you confident enough to continue surfing on your own on the next leg of your journey. Finally, thank you for your comment about sunscreen... it can be easy to forget to put it on but after a bad burn you will surely remember! We hope to see you around here again, and also hope that you continue to find times and places to surf! Pura vida :)

SF
“What a great experience”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've been looking to try surfing for a while now and I was super happy to have done my first lesson with Bodhi Surf School. I took the 1 on 1 lesson which started with an on-beach session which taught me the basics and got me ready for the ocean. Once in the ocean I was coached on every run for 2 hours. To my surprise, I was able to catch my first wave. The whole experience proved to be very exhilarating. I couldn't recommend them enough.

Visited January 2013
Diffident - we're so glad to hear you had an exhilarating and successful surf experience! Surfing can be very surprising; sometimes we do so much better than we could have anticipated. Thank you for sharing your experience and giving us the recommendation! We hope to see you again in the Bahia Ballena area.