“Amazing Honeymoon”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Minneapolis, MN
“Amazing Honeymoon”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

There really is not enough to describe how fantastic our stay was last January. This place is a five star hotel at a really amazing price. I combed tripadvisor endlessly looking for a place to honeymoon in Costa Rica. When I found Tikivillas, it looked almost too good to be true (you hear nightmare stories about hotels with good reviews written by management etc). But it honestly outdid our expectations.

The amazing:

1. The food/cocktails. Skip the "American" fare and go straight for the Costa Rican breakfast - you will not be disappointed. My husband and I tried to recreate the meal ourselves when we got home, but it's impossible. It's too good. Also the banana daquiri is officially my new favorite drink - and the bananas are picked onsite! Incredible. No, there is no on-site restaurant, but I think it's better that way. And the wonderful owners will even pick your meal up from one of the nearby eateries. Interestingly, the best food we ate was one incredible French restaurant (ask the owner - and make a reservation) and a low-key Italian place with amazing pizza. We also tried a nearby restaurant with really good ceviche.

2. Rooms. Don't bother with A/C, you won't need it - really cools off in the evening. Your room honestly opens up to the jungle and ocean and is incredibly private. You feel like you're the only ones staying there. Bugs were a non-issue at night with the bug lamp reading lights, and any little critters that managed to get in were shooed off the next morning by the great cleaning staff. It's a true tree-house experience and we loved every second. The view is honestly worth the trip. And you seriously wake up to howler monkeys each morning. We were also able to buy soup and sandwich materials at the local store and saved money on lunches.

3. Amenities. Breakfast, welcome cocktails, infinity pool, and free wifi in the lodge. Every detail was meticulously clean and wonderfully welcoming. The owners truly bend over backwards to make sure you are comfortable and happy, without being intrusive. The jungle inhabitants are also happy to smile for the camera - we saw monkeys, rare creatures, and toucans right from the lodge. Also, the owners will happily call and reserve any activities you want to do. I recommend the zip lines, and definitely take the day trip to Corcovado. Incredible! We also did a lovely sunset sail and snorkel in Manuel Antonio (while we loved the drive and the activities, we were so happy we weren't staying in that crowded city!).

Things to Note:
- While you are not on the beach, the beach trail is a fun little hike through the jungle and the beach is pristine, quiet, and wonderful. Not a party beach at all - many local families, lots of surf and sunshine.
-Mid-day is HOT. If we didn't have an activity planned, we usually wandered up to the room for a siesta around mid-day or lounged by the pool in the shade with a much-welcomed cocktail.
-if you're looking for a party scene, this is not your hotel and probably not your part of Costa Rica. We loved the other guests, but it is definitely a serene escape.
-The drive is long and windy, get 4WD, but completely worthwhile. Having a car also made the trip much less stressful and gave us so much freedom.
-And just so it doesn't appear that I'm sugar-coating everything, I did find one large bug in our room one night. I'm sort of bug-a-phobic and it freaked me out but certainly did not deter us from sleeping with the shutters wide open. And the little guy was mercifully gone the next morning. I mean, you're in the jungle with open windows so critters were bound to get in. But nothing ever bit us in the night. I suppose you could entirely avoid that by staying in the A/C unit villas, but you miss out on the breathtaking beauty every evening, not to mention the wild animals waking you in the morning.

I honestly can't say enough good things. I'm a busy lawyer who's constantly fretting about work, and this place was the perfect escape. We completely relaxed and never wanted to leave. I can't wait to have the time to go back!

Room Tip: Each room has the same private and beautiful view of the ocean. They are all amazing. We stayed at t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Emily C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Every aspect of Tiki Villas reflects the labor of love that Tom and Cindy have brought to perfect fruition. The views were in reality every bit as stunning as any of the photos shared by previous guests. The fact that a 4x4 is required (or a willingness to hike a brief but very steep pathway) only heightened the exhilaration of reaching the summit, turning, and seeing the expansive vista spanning from the jungle to the ocean below. The villas were very well constructed and tastefully decorated in a style somewhat reminiscent of Bali. Although my villa was equipped with both A/C and an electronic mosquito repellent, I found that neither were required on my visit. From the welcome cocktails on arrival to the gracious goodbyes at departure the hospitality was never lacking. Plan in advance to travel about 15-20 minutes for dinner in nearby Ojochal; definitely include dining at both Exotica and Citrus. So much more that could be said but you simply need to experience Tiki Villas for yourself. Enjoy life!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ironman999
Mountainside, New Jersey
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I cannot say enough wonderful things about this hotel. From the moment we walked up the stairs into the open lobby area my husband and I were completely amazed! The view just from the lobby area was breathtaking! As a bonus, you can enjoy the beautiful view from the pool while sipping on their delicious welcome drink...a banana colada.

The villa was even more perfect with a breathtaking view, indoor and outdoor shower and a walk in closet! The rooms do not have a TV but my husband and I did not even miss it. We had the outdoor natural surroundings to entertain us. While at Tikivillas, we saw a sloths hanging out on a tree just over the pool area. We also saw and heard tucans singing in the trees directly in front of the TikiVillas.

Thomas and Cindy were also extremely hospitable and considerate. Upon learning that my husband enjoys several cups of coffee a day, Thomas left us extra coffee in the kitchen ;) We were sad to leave 

Room Tip: We stayed in unit 4 with the air conditioner - beautiful view of the ocean and jungle.
2 Thank Jenny0215
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Its difficult to explain in words the beauty of this place. Every detail is taken care of, the owners are very friendly and helpful. The cabins are perfectly decorated, clean kitchenette, stunning view to playa hermosa. Breakfast ist perfect, welcome cocktail on arrival, beautiful flower bouquet on the room, complimentary water and coffee. The infinite pool is clean and elegant just as the main lobby, wich is open air. This place meets the expectations. Monkeys, tucans just out of your terrace. Payment method via Paypal, wich is the safest way to pay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joaquin1296
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2012

There are too many positive things to say about our stay that it will be difficult to recount. Tom and Cindi are thoughtful, considerate and extremely hospitable - beyond expectation. My wife and I spent three nights in Villa 4, and it simply was not enough time for us. From our moment of arrival we were greeted with open arms and the same level of hospitality was extended all the way until our departure. Tom was extremely patient with us, thoughtfully answering all of questions about things to do in the area, places to eat, our curiosities of local wildlife and more. We really enjoyed learning from his experiences, and by the end of the trip we felt like we made new friends. The reception/bar/pool area is breathtaking (literally), and we looked forward to venturing there to unwind for a drink (and a swim) after our daily excursions. The frozen cocktails are not to be missed. You actually can't miss them because you get one free upon arrival (banana colada). The villas are fully functional apartments with lavish views of jungle and ocean. We say a sloth, toucans, a wolf spider, a king toad, an enormous grasshopper and other exciting wildlife all within the Tiki Villas Rainforest property. My wife woke up most days to the unmistakeable cries of the howler monkeys. It was the perfect jungle experience with a touch of luxury, with the perfect host couple. We will be back.

*** I accidently rated 5 stars below for fitness center, I don't know how to undo but there is none obviously.

2 Thank Michael W
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at the Tiki Villas for 6 nights in June'12 as part of our honeymoon and can't say enough about the place. Everything that i have read that people have written is absolutely true. Thomas and Cindy are fab, very helpful and nothing is too much trouble.

We saw so much wildlife, howler and white face monkeys, ant eaters, sloths, lizards, vultures, coatis and more! The galo pinto is lovely, the place is stunning.

If you have a little 4x4 just remember to turn the air con off before you head up the hill. Those little cars struggle when the power is going to it!

Would love to go back. If it was a little closer we'd be there every year!!

Room Tip: There is a little waterfall and lagoon close by. Ask Thomas!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RodeoRambler
Austin
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We just came back from a 3-day stay at TikiVillas and we couldn't be more happier. We loved the location, the views and the hospitality of the owners (Thomas and Cindy). This was one of the most pleasant hotels I ever been. In short, a great place to stay in Uvita area. Here is a more detailed review:
- Booking - I booked directly by e-mail and it was very easy. Since this was our first time in Costa Rica, I asked several questions. Cindy kindly provided all the details I needed to feel comfortable with the trip.
- Location - The hotel is just off Highway 34 (a couple of miles north Uvita). Uvita area is a great place to experience the rain forest without a big crowd. In our way back to San Jose we stopped at the Manual Antonio National Park (near Quepos) and while the Quepos area is also nice, it is more "touristy" and with a more bigger crowd. We much preferred Uvita area!!
- Accommodations - There are 5 villas, all of them with great views of the sea and the rain forest, we stayed at cabin #3 which seems that has the more privacy since is the highest. To be honest, we were a little bit concerned about not having AC but we didn't miss it at all. Our unit had a small kitchen area, good size sleeping area with a king size bed and one single bed that we never used. There was two showers: a regular shower and outdoor shower which I tried a couple of times (really nice). There is a pool by the dinning/bar area. We never use it but we stopped by the bar every night for some drinks.
- Included breakfast - This is a REAL breakfast served at your table with a fantastic view of the ocean. The breakfast includes juice, fresh fruit, coffee and your choice of made to order eggs. Just must try the "gallo pinto". The hotel does not provide lunch or dinner but I believe you can order from a nearby restaurant and eat at the dinning area (I saw a couple did that). One day, there was a slooth on the tree in front of the dinning area, so amazing.
- Service - I can't say enough about the service, Thomas and Cindy treated us great and made our stay very pleasant. Cindy help us with tours recommendations and help us booking some trips.
- Internet/phone - There is no phone in the hotel and the only way of communication is internet. The speed is good enough for checking e-mail and facebook. There was not TV either and I'm really glad about it. You have a beautiful scenery so it is best to shut off the distractions. I rented a local cell phone to call US/Mexico and avoid the big roaming charges.

1 Thank SergioAustin