There really is not enough to describe how fantastic our stay was last January. This place is a five star hotel at a really amazing price. I combed tripadvisor endlessly looking for a place to honeymoon in Costa Rica. When I found Tikivillas, it looked almost too good to be true (you hear nightmare stories about hotels with good reviews written by management etc). But it honestly outdid our expectations.
1. The food/cocktails. Skip the "American" fare and go straight for the Costa Rican breakfast - you will not be disappointed. My husband and I tried to recreate the meal ourselves when we got home, but it's impossible. It's too good. Also the banana daquiri is officially my new favorite drink - and the bananas are picked onsite! Incredible. No, there is no on-site restaurant, but I think it's better that way. And the wonderful owners will even pick your meal up from one of the nearby eateries. Interestingly, the best food we ate was one incredible French restaurant (ask the owner - and make a reservation) and a low-key Italian place with amazing pizza. We also tried a nearby restaurant with really good ceviche.
2. Rooms. Don't bother with A/C, you won't need it - really cools off in the evening. Your room honestly opens up to the jungle and ocean and is incredibly private. You feel like you're the only ones staying there. Bugs were a non-issue at night with the bug lamp reading lights, and any little critters that managed to get in were shooed off the next morning by the great cleaning staff. It's a true tree-house experience and we loved every second. The view is honestly worth the trip. And you seriously wake up to howler monkeys each morning. We were also able to buy soup and sandwich materials at the local store and saved money on lunches.
3. Amenities. Breakfast, welcome cocktails, infinity pool, and free wifi in the lodge. Every detail was meticulously clean and wonderfully welcoming. The owners truly bend over backwards to make sure you are comfortable and happy, without being intrusive. The jungle inhabitants are also happy to smile for the camera - we saw monkeys, rare creatures, and toucans right from the lodge. Also, the owners will happily call and reserve any activities you want to do. I recommend the zip lines, and definitely take the day trip to Corcovado. Incredible! We also did a lovely sunset sail and snorkel in Manuel Antonio (while we loved the drive and the activities, we were so happy we weren't staying in that crowded city!).
Things to Note:
- While you are not on the beach, the beach trail is a fun little hike through the jungle and the beach is pristine, quiet, and wonderful. Not a party beach at all - many local families, lots of surf and sunshine.
-Mid-day is HOT. If we didn't have an activity planned, we usually wandered up to the room for a siesta around mid-day or lounged by the pool in the shade with a much-welcomed cocktail.
-if you're looking for a party scene, this is not your hotel and probably not your part of Costa Rica. We loved the other guests, but it is definitely a serene escape.
-The drive is long and windy, get 4WD, but completely worthwhile. Having a car also made the trip much less stressful and gave us so much freedom.
-And just so it doesn't appear that I'm sugar-coating everything, I did find one large bug in our room one night. I'm sort of bug-a-phobic and it freaked me out but certainly did not deter us from sleeping with the shutters wide open. And the little guy was mercifully gone the next morning. I mean, you're in the jungle with open windows so critters were bound to get in. But nothing ever bit us in the night. I suppose you could entirely avoid that by staying in the A/C unit villas, but you miss out on the breathtaking beauty every evening, not to mention the wild animals waking you in the morning.
I honestly can't say enough good things. I'm a busy lawyer who's constantly fretting about work, and this place was the perfect escape. We completely relaxed and never wanted to leave. I can't wait to have the time to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nature, Relaxation, Fun and Adventure that's what Costa Rica is all about!We invite you to join us at TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge & Spa, located in one of the most breathtaking regions of Costa Rica. Scattered within the rainforest paradise of Osa in Uvita, TikiVillas is a small "Balinese Style" Eco Lodge. Offering nine individual, spacious villas set on a mountainside 120 meters above the Pacific Ocean and just a short distance from the beaches at the Ballena National Park. TikiVillas is the perfect jungle and beach getaway. Couples and honeymooners can immerse themselves in our 13 acres of private rainforest reserve and lush tropical gardens with close access to miles of deserted beaches and jungle trails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tikivillas Rainforest Hotel Uvita
- TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/Uvita