“The View”
Review of Villa Mareas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uvita
Villa Mareas
Ranked #4 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Uvita
Temecula, California
“The View”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

As you walk through the front doors of this beautiful property you're treated to a breath-taking view across the infinity pool, over the jungle and out to the Pacific Ocean, with what I am sure are the Marquesas Islands far, far away out of sight, in the distance. It is truly a breathtaking view. I could feel the stress pour off me, like water in a shower. It was so calming and exactly what I needed to relax and unwind.
My room was spacious, airy, and very comfortable. The open outdoor shower had shimmering glass tile walls, which was an added touch of elegance.
Mareas Villas is truly in the jungle. The sounds of the untold variety of birds, was a magical cacophony. There was flowering plant life with an explosion of color throughout the property. The afternoon rains brought an earthy fragrance of ozone’s in the air. It was truly life as far away from the mega cities of the U.S. as you could get.
Every morning I was, what I thought the earliest one to rise, but I was always greeted with a coffee maker of bold rich, (I did say Bold) Coffee. It would certainly wake the dead, and I was in love. I took my cup of coffee and slithered into the pool and slowly made my way to the side of the pool which looked out to the Pacific Ocean. I was in heaven…………………..
I went to the local village with the owners of Mareas, Tim (also the chef) and his wife Pillar, to see the Costa Rica Team play in the World Cup. We went to a small rustic café/bar to watch the game on a big screen T.V. and WHAT FUN…… To get caught up, with the local population, yelling and screaming at any accomplishment of their team on the field. The bar and the whole village erupted like a volcano when the Costa Rican Team won. It could have been VJ-Day in New York City in 1945.
Each night I looked forward to enjoying the gorgeous sunset after an incredible dinner from Tim. Pillar would always set the table with a fragrant floral display from the property. Fine wine in hand, and pleasant conversion was a nightly ritual. However one night the rain came down in torrents and a spectacular lighting display occurred over the ocean for most of the night. It was truly breathtakingly hypnotic.
There are lots of nearby activities; sport fishing, zip lining, river rafting, jungle trails to hike, on site waterfalls, the beach is down the hill and merely across the street, with many other adventures just a short drive away.
However, I spent most of my time in the pool, with a good book and a glass of wine and the view ---
I did tell you about the view didn’t I ????????????????????

CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Villa Mareas, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
I doubt that anyone could describe Mareas as well as you have. I also doubt that anyone has taken advantage of it's tranquility as much as you did. The week with you was one of my life's treasures. Thank you for coming!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Diamond Bar, CA
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Mareas Villas is a very special place. The owners, Tim (also the chef) and his wife Pillar (who designed the place) are excellent, gracious hosts that know all about the area. This includes the birds, monkeys, flowers, and a lemur that we never saw. Pillar swore he was there but he didn't show up during my week stay. It is one of the most beautiful and relaxing places that I have ever stay at and I have travelled in over 120 countries.
Mareas has a house party atmosphere as it is wide open. The kitchen, bar and dining room are all part of the main building which looks out over an infinity pool, the mountains, the jungle and Pacific Ocean beyond. June is the rainy season but it usually only rained in the afternoon and the rain cooled the air. In the evenings we would sit and have a drink and watch the incredible lightning shows out across the ocean.
The rooms were huge and several had outdoor showers surrounded by tropical plants which was rather cool. They have air conditioning but I never used it as I preferred to sleep with the windows open relying on the jungle sounds to serenade me to sleep.
There are lots of nearby activities but I spent most of my time swimming in the pool, eating Tim's great meals, chatting with Tim and Pillar and their friends that would drop by and just relaxing. The perfect place to unwind.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ernie527
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Villa Mareas, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words. We truly enjoyed your company and hope to see you back for the 2018 World Cup!
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Where to start! Mareas Villas is an absolutely magical and amazing home away from home. My stay at Mareas Villas was the perfect balance of relaxation and adventure.

I traveled to Costa Rica with six of my friends. We planned to stay at Mareas for three nights, and then drive to Jaco and stay the rest of the week. When we arrived at Mareas, we immediately knew we needed to cancel our trip to Jaco and spend the entire week at Mareas -- it is that beautiful and incredible! The owner, Pilar, called our hotel in Jaco for us, and was able to cancel our reservation without any charges.

The accommodations are luxurious and the views of the jungle and ocean are absolutely breathtaking. Driving up the mountain into the property is so fun, we felt like we were in Jurassic Park and never got tired of the bumpy and unpredictable ride. The pool was so refreshing and my favorite amenity. We spent countless hours in the pool, from early morning to late night swims, it is the perfect way to cool down after a day at the beach, or after hiking through the trails on the property to the waterfalls! The surrounding nature is stunning and has so much to offer. We drank from fresh coconuts, ate fresh fruit, and saw wildlife of all kinds. Also, there are various trails on the property that will take you to different waterfalls. The possibilities are just endless!!!

The owners, Pilar and Tim, are so friendly and kind, and are very knowledgable of the area and what Costa Rica has to offer. Pilar and Tim made arrangements for us to white water raft, zip line, hike to waterfalls, and coordinated our rental car and airport shuttles. In addition to the technical help they provided, they are great company and so personable. Tim is an incredible cook, if you have the opportunity to eat his delicious meals - your tummy will be SO happy!! My friends and I went grocery shopping and cooked breakfast every day in the spacious and state of the art kitchen, and also enjoyed the nights we ate out. It is very nice having the option of cooking at home, and having a refrigerator to store snacks and beverages.

The two dogs, Tiki Torch and Chata, definitely add character to the villas. We went on daily hikes/walks with the dogs and lounged by the pool with them during the day. They are so cute and so much fun to have around!!!

Mareas Villas is the true meaning of paradise. I cannot say enough good things about my stay at Mareas, and I am still dreaming about drinking fresh coconut water and eating freshly caught Ahi Tuna. Endless thanks and praise to Pilar, Tim, Tiki, and Chata for hosting a group of seven crazy 25 year olds. We are already planning our next trip :) PURA VIDA!

CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Villa Mareas, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
It was truly a pleasure to host your group. It makes it all worth while when we can share Mareas with guests who can appreciate all that it has to offer. We hope to see you all again!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I have traveled all around the world and I can tell you that my time spent at Mareas Villas was one of the best vacations I have ever had. The property is literally in the jungle, only steps away from wildlife and 7 different (yes 7) waterfalls. We had 9 different private villas to choose from and an infinity pool!

As if the location wasn't magnificent enough, our hosts Pilar and Tim, made Costa Rica feel like home. We truly experienced what life would look like as a native "tico". From guided tours through the jungle, to restaurant recommendations (LA PARCELA), to fresh coconuts and amazing food, I cannot thank the two of them enough for providing a well planned and authentic trip to Costa.

I don't usually write reviews, but I felt the world should know that Mareas Villas is the place to be!

PURA VIDA

1 Thank BMarie1114
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Villa Mareas, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. Pilar and I both really enjoyed your enthusiasm, energy, and company and hope to see you again soon. Tiki says hi..........
toronto
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Pure heaven. I recently stayed at Mareas Villas and it is absolutely stunning including the hosts Tim and Pillar. The rooms/suites are large, comfortable with elegant bathrooms and creatively appointed. The pool, ah I wish that I was still floating in it watching the gorgeous sunset as it is 1700 square feet of bliss. Everything that you could ask for is there. Tim and Pillar are knowledgeable and wonderful hosts. Tim is a fabulous chef and we had some incredible meals provided by him. Pillar is full of energy and makes you feel right at home as soon as you arrive. She gave us a guided tour of the beautiful gardens and grounds explaining all the different plants, animals and birds that live here. This is truly a piece of paradise that I highly recommend you experience!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank tinasimpkin
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Villa Mareas, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Tina, thank you so much for your kind review. We hope to experience some more of your fine cuisine as well very soon.
Merida, Venezuela
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I am a biologist and photographer looking for comfortable and exciting destinations in the jungle around the world. This one is one of the best I ever seen, so clean, ecologic, surrounded by a lush naure and full of animals. Food is great, and the pool is a dream! The owners Pilar and Tim are so kind and diligent helping in all ways. By the way, Tim is a superb cook and you will enjoy his exotic dishes!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Villa Mareas, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
It was a pleasure to meet and spend time with you Cesar. You taught both Pilar and I a ton.

Thank you!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I just spent a week at beautiful Mareas Vilas, hosting a yoga and health retreat there. The location was perfection – serene, stunning, private, lush and luxurious. Mareas features views and vistas that are unmatched in beauty, and luxurious amenities that allow for complete pampering. There are a variety of beautiful spaces on the property to use for yoga classes, workshops and meditation sessions. Surrounded by beautiful birds, plants and other wildlife, it is truly a jungle oasis and an incredible escape from the ordinary – the perfect environment to reconnect, reflect and rejuvenate.

Tim and Pilar were lovely, gracious and accommodating hosts. They recommended and helped us to arrange two wonderful day trips to Cano Island and Zip Lining. Pilar has so much knowledge about birds, plants, and the surrounding area and we especially loved the fun and informative the waterfall hike that she led us on. Tim’s culinary skills are out of this world and he was able to cater to our (many!) dietary restrictions with ease and grace, without sacrificing flavor or creativity.

It was truly a magical experience and we look forward to returning and hosting many more retreats at this incredible oasis!

Namaste,
Julie

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Villa Mareas, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Julie,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and gracious review. The week with your group was enlightening and we hope to spend many many more! I'm working on new recipes for you and your future yoga and wellness retreats. I'll be sending them to you shortly!

Tim & Pilar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uvita
TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge
#2 of 4 in Ojochal
Villas Alturas
Villas Alturas
#4 of 14 in Dominical

Been to Villa Mareas? Share your experiences!