“Luxurious Zen Resort”
Review of Villa Mareas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uvita
Villa Mareas
Ranked #4 of 44 Specialty Lodging in Uvita
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My first time to Costa Rica was exceptional not only because I was vacationing with great company but also because I had the privilege staying at this flawless resort. I vacation frequently and I will say that this is one of the most tropical and luxurious resorts I’ve stayed at. I live in San Francisco and in a neighborhood with some of the best food in the world at my fingertips. That being said, I have to say that some of the best meals I’ve had in months were while staying at Mareas. Tim is such a talented chef who prepared exquisite meals each day, such a treat! I was impressed with Pilar (very friendly and knowledgeable), and their son, John, who offered a plethora of historical, cultural and wildlife information during our stay. I shared photos from my trip with friends and family and all have expressed interest in Costa Rica, and even started planning a trip to stay at Mareas. I hope I’m invited to join because I would come back in a heartbeat! I highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: If you love nature, and the awesome sounds of the jungle, any room is PERFECT!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Villa Mareas, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Wow! What high praise. It was such a privilege meeting and getting to know you Emily. We feel as if we've made a lifelong friend. We hope to see you back at Mareas soon and hopefully when we come back to SD as well.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I spent a whole week here on a yoga retreat and could not imagine a more dream-like escape. First of all, the place is stunning. As you walk in to Mareas, you are witness to a panoramically-perfect view of the expansive sky, warm ocean, and sparkling, infinity pool in a cradle of green jungle. The property is fantastic as the rest of the visitors have said. Heaven comes to mind. Paradise is an understatement.
But, what is even more wonderful than the home and the surrounding itself are the people who run Mareas, Pilar and Tim. These two have seriously powerful energy and make you feel like family. They are also more than happy to answer all of your questions about the jungle, point you to the best places to go around town, and fill your belly with delicious, organic, gourmet meals.
The rooms are big, airy and clean. My favorite part was the tiled shower in the bathroom. My bathroom had a view of the resident tree sloth, Cinderella. I loved falling asleep and waking up to the sounds of the jungle.

All in all, this place is an inspired sanctuary. You will feel ultimately refreshed and relaxed on your way back to reality.

I am scheming to find my way back asap. I love Mareas.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Villa Mareas, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Pilar and I loved our time spent with you! Your energy is amazing and contagious. We're considering buying the new "Stephanie" car. How could we go wrong?

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Wow! This villa is incredible! So clean. So open! Fantastic views, trails & waterfalls! The service was top notch as Tim the chef made great pescatarian food for our 11 person yoga retreat. Pilar was warm, welcoming & fun as she made us all feel at home in this tropical paradise. The infinity pool over looking jungle & Pacific Ocean was so calming & exactly what we needed to relax & unwind after fun filled days of zip lining & boat tours. I can't wait to come back here next year! Pura Vida!

Room Tip: If you have your choice, get the 2nd floor Pacific View Villa. Amazing View!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

It was a tremendous privilege to meet you. Pilar and I were both so sad when you all left, but also felt that we had made lifelong friends. Hoping to see you soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I've spent a few night's here and I love it. Absolute heaven on Earth! As you walk through the front doors of this beautiful property you're treated to breath-taking views across the infinity poole, over the jungle and out onto the ocean. It has a spacious, luxurious, clean, classy feel with plenty of comfy lounge chairs to chill out, relax and enjoy some peace and tranquility in the blissful surroundings. The bedrooms are gorgeous. The location's awesome, secluded in the jungle yet really close to a great beach and two towns. Pilar and Tim are fun, friendly, professional hosts and when you stay, make sure you eat there, the food is sensational!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
CRSDLVNOSD, Owner at Villa Mareas, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Kirsty,

We very much appreciate your gracious description of Mareas. We're are truely blessed to be able to share it with interesting and benevolent persons such as yourself.

Namaste!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our family stayed at Mareas Villas for a week towards the end of July. I had absolutely no idea what to expect as we had never even been to Costa Rica before. We certainly were not disappointed! It was a wonderful surprise! The villas were absolutely gorgeous with incredible views of the Pacific. It was like right out of a story book, especially being right in the middle of the rain forest. The owners of the villas, Tim and Pilar, made us feel so at home. The huge rooms were all well-stocked and included a fridge, coffee maker, coffee, sugar, and creamer. The comfort and views were incredible, and the infiniti pool was fabulous! Most important, though, was Tim and Pilar's knowledge of the area. That's what made the trip so enjoyable! They made many excursion recommendations, then called and made the reservations for us. It was so easy! And all of the excursions were awesome! I would highly recommend the tour of the mangroves and snorkeling trip to the island combination. Also, if you have an opportunity to take a night hike, it is well worth your time. Even the restaurants they recommended were fabulous! You will definitley need a 4-wheel drive to make the trip up to the villas, but that is just part of the unique experience. We really hope to make it back there one day!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went with some family members to Mareas Villas to preview for our daughters wedding. I read the great existing reviews, but wanted to see for ourselves before booking the wedding. Mareas Villas is truly an exotic location with all the comforts that you would expect in a 5 star hotel. Tim and Pilar's knowledge of the area and contacts with all the local activities made for a memorable vacation. We have booked Mareas for our daughters wedding and are looking to go back for a family reunion next year. The pictures just don't do it justice, it's more beautiful. Tim's cooking is fantastic and he could chef in any 5 star restaurant.
We were unsure of what tours /activities to book after researching on line.
But with Pilar's recommendations on what to do, we had some great experiences.
Thanks again, Tim and Pilar. We will be seeing you again for the wedding.

Room Tip: Our suite had a beautiful view, but then all the rooms do.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Trip A
Reviewed April 15, 2013

What can I say...I really do feel it was just that! My husband and I chose Mareas as our destination spot for our wedding in April...and it truly was much more than we even expected or hoped it would be. It was pure paradise! We weren't quite sure what to expect before we got there, as neither of us had been to costa rica before, let alone gotten married at a private villa in the jungle. But from the moment we arrived, we KNEW we couldn't have picked a better spot to tie the knot. The villa is so clean, bright, open-aired, fresh and gorgeous....with absolutely exquisite views and landscape everywhere you look. Pictures simply don't do it justice. Even better than the villa, immersed in this magical jungle setting, was the tlc that pilar and tim (the owners and caretakers of the property) put into everything. They made sure everything ran smoothly the whole week we were there, that we had everything we need and felt totally comfortable and taken care of. I personally have "special" needs/requests when it comes to what I eat, as I'm a holistic nutritionist that focuses primarily on raw/vegan foods...and let me tell you, Tim went out of his way to ensure that I had everything I needed, and ALL the food he prepared was exquisite, fresh and delicious! This was a pretty important aspect to me for my wedding week, as many times i'm "stuck" eating un-fresh, bland, unhealthy food when i travel. This couldn't have been farther from the case with Tim's expert cheffing, and every one LOVED the food the whole week. Tim and Pilar accomodated all of our excursions around the surrounding region, and all were a hit, perfectsuggestions for our group...we just had a blast. Our rooms were cleaned, spic and span, when we'd get back later in the days, usually followed by a dip in the infinity pool or a walk/mini hike to one of the incredible waterfalls on the grounds, with delicious dinner served awhile later on the beautiful outdoor dining patio. Our actual wedding was PERFECT!! Pilar did an amazing job arranging everything, and the ceremony area ended up being in the palapo, rather than near the pool where they usually are held here....and it was AMAZING! The arrangement of the flowers, seats, palm....everything was just so ideal...and we are so thankful to pilar for 'designing' such a perfect day for us. We LOVED every minute we were there....it was so hard to leave, and we vowed we'd be back :) On top of the week, and our stay at Mareas, being so magical....we really did feel that we made friends to in Pilar and Tim. They are two of the nicest, most genuine, engaging, and well-rounded, interesting people you could hope to meet! Undoubtedly, anyone who stays here would agree! A perfect TEN all the way, and absolutely can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family