“Exceptional-Perfect Place for Romantic Vacation”

Oxygen Jungle Villas
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
California
“Exceptional-Perfect Place for Romantic Vacation”
Reviewed December 20, 2009

We just returned from staying at Oxygen Jungle Villas for one week. Without a doubt, this was one the the nicest places we visited and much nicer than other hotels that we stayed at in Costa Rica (or elsewhere for that matter). If you are looking for luxury, privacy, quiet, views, wildlife and delicious cuisine, this is an excellent choice.

The villas are gorgeous. The side and front walls are glass (with the ability to close curtains for privacy) so you wake up to views of the forest and the ocean. The villas are spaced apart far enough for privacy which was nice. The beds are really comfy. The bathrooms are beautiful with rain showers-so relaxing to come back to after a day at the beach. Each villa has a front patio where you can sit on the couch and enjoy the views and the many birds that live near the property. We enjoyed waking up to the sounds of toucans and other birds that we never see at home. Some mornings and evenings we heard howler monkeys.

There is a restaurant and bar onsite that serves wonderful food, and you'll want to experience the surpise four-course dinner at least once. As others have mentioned, it is a culinary delight not to be missed. The breakfasts are also really tasty.

Another reviewer mentioned the location, specifically the drive to the villas. I have to say that the first time we did the drive I found it a bit intimidating. While the road is not dangerous, it is rocky and a four-wheel drive is necessary. That being said, once you do the drive once, it is no problem getting up and down the mountain and it takes no time to develop an appreciation for the location. On our first day, we saw two toucans, several morpho butterflies and a number of odd and beautiful insects. On our second day, we were driving on the road from the villas and saw a three-toed sloth crossing the road. We were so close we could have pet him. Every day there was a new and wonderful wildlife experience. Had we selected a different location, I'm sure we would not have experienced the same intimacy with nature.

In addition to the wildlife, there is a lovely trail that leads to a small waterfall and swimming hole minutes from the villas, a larger waterfall and swimming area just down the street and of course, a beautiful infinity pool on the property. Coming and going is very easy and we relished the experience of returning to our gorgeous villa after a long day of exploring all that the area has to offer.

The staff at Oxygen are very friendly and accommodating. We didn't have an opportunity to meet Flora, but Edwin and everyone else was wonderful. Edwin set us up with some very memorable tours including Nayaca Falls (highly recommended) and Cano Island snorkeling. He also shared recommendations for where to see the best sunsets, where to get great food, best times to experience the whales tail, etc. We couldn't have been more pleased. Ask Edwin for one of his personalized "maps"-much better than any guidebook! If you aren't looking to do something every day as we did, staying at the villas and relaxing in the pool or waterfalls, exploring the property (lots of wildlife in hills above villas) or relaxing in your gorgeous villa are also options. This is a great place for watching birds.

There are no TVs, which I actually appreciated, however, there is a personal DVD player in each room and a selection of DVDs at the front desk. There is free WIFI on the property although sometimes connection speeds are slow (remember, you are in the mountains/forest). This is the kind of place where you want to leave all that stuff behind and really enjoy each day.

We couldn't have been more pleased and wouldn't change a thing except that next time we will book longer than a week. Thank you Oxygen for making our vacation so memorable!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Just returned from a one week stay at Oxygen. It is hands down the best hotel I have ever been to, it deserves more than 5 stars. The service is amazing, the hosts Edwin and Flora, do their best to make you comfortable and feel at home. The food at the hotel is spectacular. The evening tasting menu is to die for. What a great treat. The atmosphere is relaxed and sophisticated at the same time. The villas are beautiful and the views are breathtaking. There are a lot of things to see and do in Uvita and the surrounding area. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
massachusetts
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Oxygen Villas turned out to be the best and most romantic vacation my wife and I have taken. It is truly a hidden gem of resorts that can bring two people together like nothing else. The drive from San Jose thru the mountain road was spectacular and really gives you a picture of how beautiful Costa Rica is. The remoteness of the resort only adds to its natural charm and beauty. Edwin and Flora are the most amazing hosts we have encountered. We truly feel like we have made new friends and we will surely be back many times.
Mike and Jodie (Massachusetts)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Oxygen Jungle Villas were amazing! The grounds were beautiful, the room was amazing, the views were fantastic, the pool was wonderful as well as the spa....The food was fantastic. Every night we had a surprise dinner that was a four course meal and every night it was better than the night before, the presentation of the food was gorgeous and the taste was better than any gourment restauraunt I have ever dined at! The best part of the experience were the owners Edwin and Flora...they were wonderful. They just made the whole experience even better! Our experience was amazing, and we are planning a trip back next year!

Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed September 16, 2009

The reviews of Oxygen Jungle Villa are all so glowing, and they are all true. Edwin and Flora have created a zen oasis on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. It is enchanting, romantic, relaxing...and the host and hostess will give you as much space as you need, or as much attention as you require. Take advantage of the Oxygen Surprise Dinner...its a wonderful, multi-course treat, and seriously worth it. You'll pay more taking a cab down the mountain and its a big hassle compared to sitting on the deck, enjoying music, an incredible view and personal attention. When the road from Quepos to Uvita is complete, it will be a snap to drive from San Jose. The mountain route is also beautiful but I would only drive it during the day. Go to this place before it is overrun by famous people!

Boston,MA
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I took my girlfriend to Oxygen Jungle Villas as a surprise after reading about it in US Airways magazine. The service I received from Flora and Edwin from the time I put in a reservation until the time I left Uvita was absolutely amazing! I travel a lot for work and I have never received such great service like this in my life!

Flora was able to help set up a private ride from the airport,surf lessons, and horseback riding through the Nauyaca Waterfalls. The most important item she helped me with was a surprise dinner for my girlfriend in which I was going to propose to her(she said yes!). Flora suggested that I have a private dinner on the porch of our villa. Flora and Edwin set up the most beautiful arrangement of flowers and candles while I took my girlfriend on a walk through the jungle area of the resort.

Before we arrived Flora asked if the two of us had any food allergies and I explained that I have had some allergic reactions to certain seafood. She asked what we would prefer to eat and I simply said something such as chicken,pasta,or beef would be just fine. WELL Flora and Edwin had the chef prepare each of these ingredients in the different courses that were served during the dinner. Also, I saw a picture of a pineapple
dessert on another posting and asked if they could prepare that as well which they said would not be a problem at all. The dinner was absolutely amazing! We ended up dining at the Oxygen Jungle Villas each night we were there because the food was sooo delicious. Each night the two of us were excited to see what would be prepared! I am usually a pretty picky eater but I ate like a KING! The prices on dinner were very reasonable as well!

We stayed in Villa 3 which had amazing views of the ocean and the rest of the resort. The inside of the villa was absolutely perfect. The glass walls allowed us to take in the spectacular views that surrounded us. The two of us have never stayed in anything like this place before.

I would recommend this place to anyone that will be going to Costa Rica in the near future. My fiancee and I are already talking about our next trip back to Oxygen Jungle Villas. We would like to thank Flora and Edwin for making this special occasion so
perfect for the two of us. It was a vacation/experience that we will never forget!

1 Thank johnnyw008
Delft
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Wow. This place has got it all: nature/wildlife, luxury, a great swimming pool, superb food and owners who make your stay one you will never forget.

The villas are absolutely gorgeous with stunning views all the way down to the sea. You can see Isla del Cano and the western part of Corcovado right from your sofa seat in the lounging outer area of the villa. And let's not forget about the view when you wake up early in the morning.....................Amazing!

On the second morning we had a filler of a breakfast at the clubhouse and we were greeted by over ten toucans in a treetop just 50 meters away. That's about as close to wildlife as i am ever going to get while having breakfast.

The surrounding area is great for making day trips with a car (4x4): Domincial: surfing, Uvita beach (all for yourself!!!), secluded waterfalls nearby, Corcovado and mcuh more. All in a beautifull part of Costa Rica that isnt as over-the-top as places like Quepos and the Nicoya peninsula.

A pleasant stay in/around the villas to relax also is recommended. Just lay by the pool, have some drinks, take a massage, walk down into the jungle and to the nearby small waterfall, relax at the room with the handy dvd system, enjoy the views and then...............................the surprise dinner! For 4 straight nights we were absolutley blown away by the work of the chef Laurens. What a great concept! A fine course meal executed with style. The next morning you'll be already looking forward to the next surprises you will be receiving in the evening.

Thanks for a grand stay. Conclusion: paradise found!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple