First of all, this hotel is beautiful, that being said, it could be anywhere in the world which specifically was not something I consider a plus. Maybe we were spoiled by the locally owned hotels we stayed in before we got here... I don't know. In general, this hotel had a lot of hype to live up to, and not to be a downer, but it was underwhelming in almost all aspects.
The road there is pretty bad, as everyone says. But their directions are crystal clear, and we got there without any wrong turns or confusion and this was in the rain.
When we arrived the check in process was pretty slow (like 30 minutes slow) and the couple who arrived after us were taken to their room first, after a five hour drive I was a little irritable about that.
When we did get to the room it was lovely, not as private as we had hoped for though, because we could hear every word spoken by the couple in the villa next door... and I'm sure they heard us too, not a plus on a honeymoon :) and we did specifically mention that it was our honeymoon and we wanted something private in the reservation. On the plus side the view was great, and the deck area in front of the villa is a really awesome space to relax privately and just enjoy the sounds. I like that they use refillable shampoo and soap dispensers because I find it ironic that a lot of the "green hotels" still use disposable packaging for their biodegradable toiletries. The cleaning staff cleaned our room from top to bottom every day, but they never refilled the coffee or gave us more creamer when we ran out. I was bothered by the amount of birds that flew into the glass windows every morning. It was really loud, and it killed our mood when it happened. We told the front desk that they should put up those stickers (like everyone else does) but they said it didn’t work… really?
We decided to join Oxygen for their special dinner our second night, and I think this was the most disappointing meal we had in Costa Rica, not to mention insanely overpriced. I will note that I don’t eat seafood, which I told them beforehand. I think they took that to mean that I wanted an American style chicken dinner because what we got was: a starter of one tiny toast with a large bowl of spinach dip (think Costco style, but from scratch), breaded chicken with ketchup and fresh tomatoes on top, broiled potatoes and pumpkin, and a slice of cheesecake for dessert. I was soooooo disappointed. Especially since I speak fluent Spanish and that enabled us to have some fantastic meals at the local restaurants for a lot less than this one. Needless to say we did not join them for dinner again, even though we were asked every day. Instead we went down the hill to eat lunch, go to the beach, and then ordered some food to go on the way back up.
I think the best feature of this hotel is by far the pool. We made a point to swim there every day. The view is amazing, better than from the villas, and I recommend that you bring binoculars if you are going because you can see the whales from the pool with them.
Overall we probably won’t be recommending it or coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oxygen Jungle Villas is a small-scale and exclusive Balinese style boutique hotel. Located in Uvita, in the middle of the Costa Ballena, Costa Rica's South Pacific hotspot. We guarantee individual and personalized service and a maximum of 24 guests (adults only) at all times, staying in one of the only 12 villas on the Oxygen estate. All this only minutes away from some of the most pristine beaches in the world and centrally located between Costa Rica's most beautiful National Parks. Perfect for your Costa Rica honeymoon, or simply to become acquainted with the jungle, toucans, howler monkeys, and the other wonderful wildlife that Costa Rica has to offer. With dozens of tours to choose from, and a zen atmosphere overlooking the infinity pool, there is something for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Travelocity, Priceline, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Oxygen Jungle Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oxygen Jungle Villas Hotel Uvita
- Oxygen Jungle Villas Costa Rica/Uvita