First of all let us state that we had a very enjoyable stay,. All the staff were helpful and friendly. Sadly we only saw the Manager once during our 5 night stay and that was was off the property,
when he almost lectured us how busy he was.
Collectively, my wife and I have had almost 100 years in the hospitality industry and as owners that would greatly concern us, and as a guest its the last thing I would want to hear.
Oxygen is an interesting cross between a 'villa' and small hotel. Basically each unit is one glass enclosed room with a ensuite toilet, shower, twin hand wash basin and mini bar. There is also an open but covered terrace with sofa and table. We very much enjoyed 'Villa' 6 with its Trumpet Tree which attracted an amazing variety of bird life.
We arrived off the American Airlines flight into SJO at around 11.30am and after collecting a hire car it was virtually impossible to get to Oxygen before dark. We reached Uvita around 6pm in pouring rain and frankly the directions given on Oxygen's website or via email were grossly inadequate. Even the local Police Station (2 kilometres away) didn't know where the property was. More signage or better directions are essential to avoid a first negative impression.
We checked-in and took the option offered of having dinner on our terrace. The fixed 3 course dinner (no choice) was US$42 plus tax and service. When it arrived the cream based soup had seperated and was luke warm. Main course was meat and far too undercooked for me to find it edible. Dessert was one scoup of ice cream and three small pieces of fruit and delivered with the main course. Even if the main course was palatible, you would have had to eat dessert prior to the main course before the ice cream melted.
Therefore a single edible course cost US$42 plus tax and service. There are no phones in the room, so it wasn't as if you could report the problem easily.
As a result, sadly, we did not try dinner on any other evening. If the ONLY dining option is a fixed three course menu, then my suggestion would be to post the menu at breakfast time to give guests the option to eat onsite that night. The isolated location of Oxygen and the very limited choice of desirable restaurants in the area, perhaps gives a captive audience but I am sure guests would appreciate all possible options.
One of the staff recommended La Parcela, a restaurant just south of nearby Dominical Playa and as a lunchtime spot, while the food is locally above average, the view is spectacular.
The open room terrace for us was the most appealing aspect of Oxygen and I would suggest management consider overhead roof fans. Meanwhile, as a guest, we would advise that you pack a couple of Citreonella candles to deter the bugs.
Overall an outstanding spot which just needs the little things to make it perfect, like flowers on the tables and pillows and a little more thought about dinner. Breakfast and Lunch snacks were affordable and tasty.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oxygen Jungle Villas is a small-scale and exclusive Balinese style boutique hotel. Located in Uvita, in the middle of the Costa Ballena, Costa Rica's South Pacific hotspot. We guarantee individual and personalized service and a maximum of 24 guests (adults only) at all times, staying in one of the only 12 villas on the Oxygen estate. All this only minutes away from some of the most pristine beaches in the world and centrally located between Costa Rica's most beautiful National Parks. Perfect for your Costa Rica honeymoon, or simply to become acquainted with the jungle, toucans, howler monkeys, and the other wonderful wildlife that Costa Rica has to offer. With dozens of tours to choose from, and a zen atmosphere overlooking the infinity pool, there is something for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Oxygen Jungle Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oxygen Jungle Villas Hotel Uvita
- Oxygen Jungle Villas Costa Rica/Uvita