I'm going to go ahead and get this out of the way in case you are browsing for a review that will help you make your decision of where to go for your 1 of a kind honeymoon destination. After all you only get one so this one has to be perfect right? Well I am a huge fan of Oxygen Jungle villas. This is definetly everything my new wife and I had ever dreamed it would be. What will follow now is more praising of oxygen jungle villas, their staff and the beautiful place that is COSTA RICA. (Pura Vida!!)
Let me get important things out of the way. Some of these things might seem obvious but they took us off guard.
* To carry on a bag definetly costs money on spirit airlines. It's 30 dollars a bag.
* There is a 20 dollar fee that is like a tourism tax you get charged at your departure airport.
* Pretty much 1000 colones is 2 dollars, making 5000 colones 10 dollars.
* A GPS is definetly a fantastic investment.
* Be specific about the transmission of the car when renting it.
* Bring a poncho. It doesn't rain all the time but if or when it does remember this is the jungle.
* Don't buy a map at the airport they are wayy too expensive and your rental car company will give you one.
Now for Oxygen. We rented a car and drove from San Jose. Very easy drive with the GPS. Probably would be fine if you new the directions perfectly. But unless you are terribly afraid that paying for a GPS makes you less adventurous just pay for the ability to follow directions instead of having to use the extra brain power to remember. This is the 21st century. Technology is here to stay. You will also be impressed with it's ability to navigate you down dirt roads that would lead to nothing if you didn't have to climb first the steepest, most treaturous, unpaved road I have ever been on. (So Fun!) But that road which you will certainly get used to going up and down is the road to paradise!
When you feel like your 4x4 isn't going to take you any further keep going another 100 ft and turn right. You can catch a glips of the glass enclosed villas. Each is very secluded. I didn't hear or talk to one of my neighbors once in 7 days. While there are only 12 villas some of you might still be concerned with having to talk with strangers. Don't be concerned people are so occupied with the view and the food that they are thinking the same thing you are, "It's so nice to just be quite and enjoy where I am right now."
The main house is within walking distance from all villas. It has wifi that always works and can sometime be picked up in your villa. They serve a nice menu almost all day long but the wife and I ventured out often for lunch and dinner. Not because we didn't like Oxygen's food but they encourage you to try other places and do some activities in the nearby towns. I can still see the streets in my minds eye with Aldos the frozen coffee shop at the bottom of the hill and across the street the bank and the grocery store. Remember to ask also if the place you plan to venture out to takes credit card because a lot of places do. The staff is happy to find out information, make reservations, and inform you about local activities. David is a gem and all of the staff are polite and speak both english and spanish. Most of the costa rican's we ran into spoke just as much english as I speak spanish which is just enough to go anywhere and do anything. There is considerable to do from horseback riding, to zip lining, to eating out, beaches, surfing, hicking, and yes plenty of shopping.
The rooms are fantastic. The AC works excellent for those of you like me who like a steady chill. Double sinks, hot water, and a safe that can't be moved. There is also a philips dvd player that can play all of there very decent movie library. I'm a big movie buff so was loving the classic movies that can play in the background... Hey the bed is the focal point of the room and it doesn't make sense to sleep everytime you are in the villa. There is also a coffee maker and a fridge in the room.
The whole experience was amazing. We couldn't of asked for more. We had wanted a first class destination with good food, professional and personal staff, with beaches and an amazing view. I wish I could write more but it is so hard to put into words. I miss you Oxygen and you have no idea what an impact this beautiful experience has made on me and my wife. We feel encouraged and inspired. We can't wait to come back.
PS - When you go definetly definetly hit up La Tallengara for lunch, Exotica for dinner and Ados for the ice coffee and banana split.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oxygen Jungle Villas is a small-scale and exclusive Balinese style boutique hotel. Located in Uvita, in the middle of the Costa Ballena, Costa Rica's South Pacific hotspot. We guarantee individual and personalized service and a maximum of 24 guests (adults only) at all times, staying in one of the only 12 villas on the Oxygen estate. All this only minutes away from some of the most pristine beaches in the world and centrally located between Costa Rica's most beautiful National Parks. Perfect for your Costa Rica honeymoon, or simply to become acquainted with the jungle, toucans, howler monkeys, and the other wonderful wildlife that Costa Rica has to offer. With dozens of tours to choose from, and a zen atmosphere overlooking the infinity pool, there is something for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Oxygen Jungle Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oxygen Jungle Villas Hotel Uvita
- Oxygen Jungle Villas Costa Rica/Uvita