The Sanctuary at Two Rivers
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Celaje(Cabuya)(Great Value!)
$60
  • Breakfast included
$199
Hotel Amor de Mar(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$70
Hotel Los Mangos(Montezuma)
$53
  • Pool
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
$64
$250
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Moana(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
Hotel Moctezuma(Montezuma)
$32
  • Beachfront
  • Free Internet
Sano Banano Beachside Hotel(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$65
All reviewsyoga pagodayoga teacher trainingmagical placeeach mealamazing experienceeco luxurypositive energylush junglefood was amazinghealthy foodayurvedic principlesdaily lifelife changing experiencethree weekshowler monkeyspura vidabody and soul
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I've been home for about a week now, yet I continue to discover ways that the great energy from my recent trip to The Sanctuary is manifesting in my daily life. The property is incredible and the entire staff is delightful. Daily yoga in the Pagoda followed by amazing gourmet vegetarian food and the company of like-minded friends opens the physical body and the mind to new possibilities. If you have a chance to visit, just say "yes" and get there as soon as you can!

Room Tip: Bring river walking shoes!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2013

A spontaneous decision to join the first group of guests at this eco-friendly yoga retreat in the rain forests of Costa Rica resulted in one of the best times of my life.

The location is amazing - tucked away within the jungle and reachable only by a hike or quad ride up a river. It's the definition of going off grid, even though the facilities offer hot-spot Internet access for those who can't quite disconnect completely. With waterfalls on the property, gorgeous natural landscaping, and a wide variety of exotic wildlife wandering around, it's an amazing place to visit, even if you never leave the property.

The facilities combine a "roughing it" vibe with modern style, providing everything you need to be comfortable while still feeling like you're out in nature. The townhouse-style open air bungalows are in line with the surrounding jungle canopy. No need for an alarm when the migrating howler monkeys let you know it's time to get up every morning. The private, open air shower had a beautiful view of the jungle, further adding to the relaxing vibe of this peaceful environment.

The property also has a great swimming pool and lounge area with accompanying rooms for private massages from local masseuses, as well as a wonderful dining area, where our group bonded over some of the most delicious food I've ever had. I'm not a vegan, but the three gourmet vegan meals prepared for us daily were incredible and totally satisfying.

But the heart of this place is the stunning yoga pagoda, which became the central focus of our trip. This is obviously where we practiced yoga morning and night, and those sessions, led by the wonderful Lynda Carre, were remarkable for their adaptability to the moods, experience levels, and general needs of the group at each particular session. Every class was a unique experience. And the yoga pagoda is also where we'd gather to socialize, get creative, meditate, and have nightly dance parties. Fantastic memories were made here.

And that's just on the property alone. We also trekked out for hiking excursions, surf lessons, zip-lining, waterfall diving, and visits to local beaches and towns most afternoons. Jeff and the rest of the friendly staff do a fantastic job accommodating everyone's needs. Once you land in Costa Rica, they handle all the travel arrangements to and from the Sanctuary throughout your time there, as well as organizing and booking your chosen off-site activities, making for completely stress-free travel.

As a whole, this was a unexpectedly transformative experience. Ten days at the Sanctuary had a significant impact on me, both physically and spiritually, neither of which I could have predicted. And neither of which I can fully describe. It's just a special place you have to experience first hand to fully understand. I walked away feeling a lasting bond to The Sanctuary and the people who were there with me.

A retreat to The Sanctuary is a great way to reboot your system, have an exciting adventure, and get in better shape, both inside and out. I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My time at The Sanctuary was absolutely amazing. I felt safe, appreciated, and comfortable for the duration of my stay. The scenery and location was stunning. I really enjoyed the range of activities that help me cultivate my spiritual, mental, and physical well being. Such a peaceful place, and wonderful people running it. I have so much appreciation for the warm, tranquil environment The Sanctuary was able to offer me.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Learning to be a Yoga Teacher in the Costa Rican Jungle

I spent 19d doing Yoga Teacher Training at the The Sanctuary and in short it was life changing.

For me personally, my greatest takeaway staying in the Costa Rican jungle was this idea that I was more connected to the people around me and the environment than I had realized.

The Sanctuary is a gorgeous space. On the one hand you're in a beautiful, well maintained environment. Surrounded by diverse wildlife; capuchin and howler monkeys, exotic butterflies and other insects, natural bamboo, starfruit trees, and so many other varieties!

Jeff is a great host, really friendly, knows his stuff and makes sure guests are well looked after. While we were there he also organized massages for us, transport for all of us into the local town (Montezuma), restaurant tips, etc. Michelle is the chef and her food is kind of miraculous. You're eating healthy but you'd never know it. 3 course vegetarian meals (gluten and lactose free options) and phenomenal desserts to boot: chocolate cake, macaroons, dairy free mousse, and lots more (lots of pictures online!).

The Sanctuary is designed to have a close to zero carbon footprint. The accommodations are impressive wooden structures, that extend above the jungle canopy. Hot running water,
Massage rooms, a swimming pool to cool off in, a beautiful pagoda for yoga and meditation and every faucet in the sanctuary runs filtered drinkable water. All solar powered!

If you are visiting, I highly recommend going on the river hiking trail. First time I went with a small group. The second time I went alone. It was my first time walking through a river. The water is gorgeous, clear, and shallow. You skip between river rocks, and the bank, dodging around vegetation, listening to amazing sounds, knowing it's just you and the environment and knowing you're safe. After a 30-40 minute walk you arrive at a waterfall with small lagoon beneath it. The water is that gorgeous aqua marine colour, and you can just hang out, swim and reflect.

Perspective is probably the single best word to describe what The Sanctuary gave me. I've been back in Toronto for a little while now, but that perspective is still there (I just miss the buzz of the jungle :) )

Raj Kotecha (RYT200 Training - Aug 2013)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raj K
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Surrounded by two rivers with waterfalls, built on a bed of crystals with beautiful plants and animals always around, the Sanctuary is a magical place. The people who work there are charming and personable; the tree houses we stay in are peaceful and allow you to live alongside monkeys in the amazing Costa Rican jungle. It is a great place to get away from your ordinary life and get in touch with your extraordinary self !

Room Tip: I stayed in room 3B which is on the edge of the jungle so you cant see any other tree houses which is really nice!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business